Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
If not, who do you think is? Is it just human nature to be all screwed up and not "evolve" gracefully if that is what you call it?
The rich and the very powerful are responsible for the sad state of affairs and priorities in this country.As a baby boomer I do not consider myself to be "all screwed up", and I have evolved (as you put it) as gracefully as any other age groups ,...be they younger OR older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
i dont think you can blame anyone except the elites.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
iPwn wrote:
That's not true at all. If you read thru this thread you will see that people have many different scapegoats to blame for this current mess. IMO, as long as we keep BLAMING other people, nothing will change. The most effective action that each one of us can take is to cop to the ways ( no matter how small ) that we ourselves have contributed. IMO, there is no one who is completely blameless. Until a sufficient number of we-the-people are willing and able to identify our individual contribution to this mess, then have the guts to stop those actions, the elites will continue to hold dominion over us. It's a two way street. The elites are in power only because we have unconsciously given them persission to be.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The Federal Reserve, and it's owners. The iron rule of oligarchy assured that large corporations would arise to destroy the American economy. Baby Boomers were raised by parents who had increasing living standards due to technology. However, the fiat money system eventually strangled the economic growth and coerced their Government to create regulations to stop innovation. The last innovative run was the computer revolution. There is nothing left because every industry regulated by Government becomes an oligarchy of crony capitalism. This assures failure of the industry. You can see this in the auto industry which has been all but killed by Government regulation. I don't blame the selfish baby boomers as this collapse was put into motion in 1914.
Couldn't have said it better!

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
That's too much of a cop out attitude. The elites have the amount of power they do because the rest of us don't want to be responsible, so we give our power to them in a million different ways.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
In a word - YES!!!

Boomers are Generation Self

As a collective they are Self absorbed, Self righteous, Selfish, Self centered, Self important, Self congratulatory, Self destructive, Self indulgent, Self obsessed, Self satisfied and Self serving.

When they finally leave the stage (kicking and screaming, no doubt) they will be poorly judged by history.

The only thing keeping the WW2 generation from being "the Greatest Generation" is the fact that they raised the boomers and made them the lot of spoiled brats they are & always have been!
LOL, you're too funny

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Abortions were around before they were legalized, if they were made illegal they'd still be around. The amount of women who get an abortion is somewhere in the 15% of all pregnancies, thats pretty low considering the birth rate.
No, in the US, it's actually more like 22%. Whether you're pro life or pro choice, that should be seen as unacceptable, IMO.

Percentage of pregnancies aborted by country (listed by percentage)

Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
They extended the lifew of man further than any generation.
Actually, that's totally untrue. The increase in life expectancy in the US has slowed considerably since the late 1970s and may have begun to decline. The Boomers are partly responsible for the explosion in "convenience" food taking over as a substitute for home cooked meals. We all know the result is more obesity and lower life expectancy.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"I believe it is. The baby boomers are the generation that began the downward spiral we are currently in."

I don't know one baby boomer that bought a $500,000.00 they could not afford... The buyers all seem be in their thirties or early forties..
But it was the Baby Boomers (and the generation before them) who embraced the "Debt is good. Everything will magically work out the way we want in the end" ethic and allowed ever looser lending standards. It's no surprise their GenX kids did stupid stuff.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Most of the boomers i know who are around 60 yrs old never had this easy credit when they were younger 20/30's in fact i remember it being quite difficult to get loans back in the 60/70's especially if the banks thought you couldnt afford it.
Seems to me all this irresponsible borrowing started happening in the late 80's till now, and it doesnt seem to me that its the baby boomers who are the ones being credit scofflaws if irresponsible credit is what we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates