Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Sadly, they were also very prolithic at propagating kids and and not necesarily in any type of marriage arrangement. This created more degeneration of people who never had a real honest shot at life by learning any decent traditional family values. With each successive generation it has gotten worse and the science of 'Memetics' becomes more and more real and extreme in their case.
I totally agree with this. I think the worst thing the Boomers (and really the younger members of the Silent Generation just before them) did was to embrace divorce and accept single parenthood as a normal thing. That has been a significant driver of income/wealth inequality in the US.

Now you will get lots of people who will argue stridently that divorce and single parenthood don't harm kids or can be fairly easily worked around. Even though the evidence from secular sources is pretty overwhelming this isn't true, many will still dismiss anyone who promotes any kind of stable 2 parent biological family arrangement as an essentially important thing as some kind of far right wing nut job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Every generation has self-righteous elements, but the boomers - both those on the left and right - are so self righteous, so sure they are right and so sure the other side is wrong, they have created a culture were people of differing veiws can barely even talk to each other anymore. They have actually broken our ability to have civic discussion.
Sorry, Boomers, but this is the ugly truth. Please take a look in the mirror at yourselves in the CD forums and look at what's happening in politics, which is now mostly controlled by Boomers.

Boomers like to go to extremes, and have a "my way or the highway" attitude about everything. Yes, it's human nature to be that way and that kind of attitude has clearly been around since Day One. I get that. But Boomers have really taken this kind of attitude to an extreme.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
gen x complains about gen y, so what's new? nothing.

I don't think GenX complains about Gen Y. I'm Gen X and know I don't. I think they're mostly nice kids, although they're too attached to their cell phones & i-pods, and a little too addicted to instantaneous results. But for the most part, I like them a lot more than the self-entitled and self-righteous Boomers I know.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-28-2010 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I agree in part, but not in whole, with what you said. Both parties are not the same. And I do believe that the average citizen still has some (though it's eroding) control of our political representatives' actions.

What if we citizens get more involved in being watch dogs and following the way our representatives vote on bills that directly affect us?

When's the last time any of us called, emailed, or wrote to our political representatives to let them know where we stood on an issue and asked them to support/vote against the bill/issue? More likely, we complain loudly--and write on forums like this--but we must take direct action in communicating with our politicians.

Right now, it is this apathy that worries me. Apathy, and the need for campaign contribution reform, so that our representatives represent OUR concerns and not the concerns of the corporations (and the wealthy elite). Without campaign contribution reform, both of our political parties/candidates will be beholden to the entities that made the largest campaign contributions, right?

But, to me, there are still major differences between the two political parties.

It's clear to me from the tone of your post you're a typical Boomer. You see only the sins of the Conservative Elite but think the Liberal Elite is going to save us. What a joke. Both sides work to enslave us in different ways. But the Boomers (whether they be left or right wing), being caught up in their own self-righteousness, can't step back far enough to see this.

Are you really interested in reaching out to people who think different from you and finding common ground? By the tone of your post, I don't think so. You're one-sided just like most of the other Boomers.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-28-2010 at 03:44 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
There's an old saying, If you argue for your limitations, they shall be yours."

If we believe that we citizens (the non-elite, especially) have no voice in our political process and we call all politicians corrupt, then that will be our reality.

I myself am not there yet; not that pessimistic. I still believe we have a voice and need to get involved.

It's calling ourselves sheeple that creates the sheeple reality.

Remember what Kennedy famously said, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

What is each reader on this forum--Boomer or not--doing to make their voices heard in Washington?

I've done some, but I intend to do more. I can do better.

I think being a politician must be the hardest and most thankless job in the world. I want to thank them when they vote aligned with my values, let them know when votes are coming up which way I hope they will vote, and yes, even to let them know when they've voted the opposite of what I hoped.

Writing off the political process makes sheeple of us. I think we Americans have more gumption than that!
In theory, I agree with you. But when it gets down to the nitty gritty, too many Boomers like yourself are too rigid in their thinking to cooperate with anyone who doesn't think just as you do. It's either "We need to get back to the (fundamentalist Christian) God" or "We just need to end the war in Iraq and take that money and throw it at our bloated welfare state and get more free pills for our obese population and that will fix everything"....with not much else in between.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's clear to me from the tone of your post you're a typical Boomer. You see only the sins of the Conservative Elite but think the Liberal Elite is going to save us. What a joke. Both sides work to enslave us in different ways. But the Boomers (whether they be left or right wing), being caught up in their own self-righteousness, can't step back far enough to see this.

Are you really interested in reaching out to people who think different from you and finding common ground? By the tone of your post, I don't think so. You're one-sided just like most of the other Boomers.
There is a distinction between the two schools of thought. Although each has it's pitfalls, one ideology is based on material elitism and the other is based on compassion for the human condition. That's what I believe.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
mohawkx wrote:
There is a distinction between the two schools of thought. Although each has it's pitfalls, one ideology is based on material elitism and the other is based on compassion for the human condition. That's what I believe.
First I appreciate that you expressed your opinion as a belief rather than fact. IMO, your belief is totally in line with the images that the political parties project to the public. You believe exactly what they want you to believe. Each party, when in power, throws a few crumbs to its we-the-people constituents, while cavorting with the other party to carry out their common agenda ( take money from we-the-people and funnel it up to the bankers ) behind closed doors.

In post ( 87 ), I wrote:
When the rubber meets the road, the demo-craps ALWAYS sell out to the the left wing special interests that funded their campaigns, and the republi-can'ts ALWAYS sell out to the right wing special interest that funded their campaigns. The will of either parties we-the-people constituents is completely dis-regarded. In that respect, they are two peas in the same rotten pod. And the sheeple in both parties keep getting hoodwinked in one election after the other, always at odds with the sheeple in the other party, failing to realize that they have more in common with each other than they do with the corrupt millionaire leaders of their own party.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
mohawkx wrote:
First I appreciate that you expressed your opinion as a belief rather than fact. IMO, your belief is totally in line with the images that the political parties project to the public. You believe exactly what they want you to believe. Each party, when in power, throws a few crumbs to its we-the-people constituents, while cavorting with the other party to carry out their common agenda ( take money from we-the-people and funnel it up to the bankers ) behind closed doors.

In post ( 87 ), I wrote:
When the rubber meets the road, the demo-craps ALWAYS sell out to the the left wing special interests that funded their campaigns, and the republi-can'ts ALWAYS sell out to the right wing special interest that funded their campaigns. The will of either parties we-the-people constituents is completely dis-regarded. In that respect, they are two peas in the same rotten pod. And the sheeple in both parties keep getting hoodwinked in one election after the other, always at odds with the sheeple in the other party, failing to realize that they have more in common with each other than they do with the corrupt millionaire leaders of their own party.
You post is essentially correct. Both ideologies have their pitfalls. The right and the left meet secretly out behind the back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates