Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

If I had read the article, and remembered those sports events, it would have impressed something on me: Wow, 18 years is really a long time. Maybe that's what he was trying to do.

Jcinsov, did this journalist write something that caused damage to people's lives? Some people are teetering so close to the brink of certifiable insanity, maybe almost anything would damage their lives, if they became uncontrollably hysterical about it and wanted to sit at their keyboards and lash out at everybody. But I don't think editors are responsible to smoothing out their copy to meet the needs of such hair-trigger maniacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
not commenting directly on this article but in general
read above

Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
This sports columnist wrote a story about the girl that was kidnapped 18 years ago, and minimized it to, what she missed in Sports as being the importance of his story. He defends it with Freedom of speech, freedom of the press. This is why they don't publicize victims information.

The woman has certainly missed alot due to the freak that kidnapped her.

This man is a sports writter, no different than if a political writer "filled her in" on the politics she missed. No different than, should she be Catholic, a religious column writer, or her priest, filling her in on Catholic stuff she's missed.

I think people are over-reacting, and unless the sports writer did this to purposely sensationalize her captivity to sell papers, which I do not see in the column, I am greatly disappointed that the writer even apologized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates