U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM

4,574 posts, read 3,278,651 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of the saying "Be careful who you offend as you climb the social ladder, because you may meet those same heads on your way down." I do believe what goes around, comes around in both negative and positive senses. The golden rule doesnt always work, because the other guy just might not have a conscience. Payback can be a b*tch. Give a man enough rope, and enough time and he will hang himself. There is a lot of truth in these old axioms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,847,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I have heard that point of view, and I reject it. How does one combine a just and loving God, for everyone, with the circumstances of birth? and the command (presumably to humans) to dole out punishement to others according to the suffereing that they have inflicted? How does one get this view in sync with "judge not that you be not judged"? No, doesn't work for me, not internally consistent! So I think that God, or the Universe or the Great Spaghetti Monster, or whomever, sets things up so that cause and effect IS the judgeing and metting out of punishment system. . . it works without human intervention, and you don't have to go out and do "bad things" to anyone, no matter how badly they may have hurt you. . . . the universe takes care of it, and anyhow, the bad things that happen to you may be a just punishement for your own past (or past life) action. . . . . .That IS internally consistent, and causes me to believe in a just universe!
I dont understand your question concerning a loving God and child birth -- is it concerning the pain a woman has to go thru during childbirth that you have a problem with ??? The scripture 'Judge not and you shall not be judged' (found in Matt. 7:1-4) , is about judging HYPOCRITICALLY and not about critical thinking or judging anothers actions, behaviour, or motives (which we are in fact called to do so we can correct a person and help them see the error of their behavior -- unlike todays Tolerance philosophy which is apathy in disguise) . Can you imagine telling our Court System that they have no right to judge another person ?! Just the thought of it makes me chuckle...lol... As our U.S. Declaration states : All people are made in the image of our Creator which gives us certain unalienable rights ; without the Creator, human beings do not have intrinsic worth or dignity -- our human rights are based on God, as is knowing whats right from wrong .

I reject appealing to the Universe as the means for punishment or blessings to come around to a person (Paganism) because materials which is what the Universe is made up of cant bring about justice anymore than going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger ; the Cosmos doesnt think for itself , it cant care about whats right from wrong , matter doesnt have personality , a will, morality , compassion, empathy, reason, rationalization , et al... therefore making appeal to the Universe is irrational . Instead of giving accolaides and assigning personality to creation (the Universe of matter and chemicals ) , it is more accurate and rightful to give THE CREATOR his due respect and honor. Our Founding Fathers thought so and desired all future generations to have a deep respect , honor, and love for our Creator instead of trying to substitute him with other desperate philosophies of our own choosing . Regards.

Last edited by RVlover; 09-14-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 PM

42,974 posts, read 19,932,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
alot of people use this phrase and I am not sure it is true. I don't really know of that many incidents where this has happened. What do you guys think it means and do you think it really happens?
If you do wrong onto others, the wrongs will eventually come back to you, and you'll suffer the same or more as the others you've done wrong to.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
If you do wrong onto others, the wrongs will eventually come back to you, and you'll suffer the same or more as the others you've done wrong to.
Sadly, not always in this life. There are murderers, rapists, thieves, paedophiles, et al...who do not get what they have inflicted on others ; but fortunately God is not only a God of love , but of perfect justice as well....and ALL will give account one day before him when complete and fair justice will become a reality and metered out accordingly. Each will account for the deeds done while in the flesh., and God will finally judge all the wrongs perpetrated.

Last edited by RVlover; 09-14-2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: edited

Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Sadly, not always in this life. There are murderers, rapists, thieves, paedophiles, et al...who do not get what they have inflicted on others ; but fortunately God is not only a God of love , but of perfect justice as well....and ALL will give account one day before him when complete and fair justice will become a reality and metered out accordingly. Each will account for the deeds done while in the flesh., and God will finally judge all the wrongs perpetrated.
I agree, and what goes around, when they inflict such harm on others, it will certainly come around with God's judgement on them, if it doesn't come around during their life.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 PM

282 posts, read 340,069 times
ok now I am confused is "what comes around goes around" a religous saying??

Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
ok now I am confused is "what comes around goes around" a religous saying??
Well.. you got it switched around, it's "What goes around, comes around", and no it's not exactly a "religious" saying, it's only an expression. However the Bible does mention that the quality of the harvest you get depends on the seeds you sow, and the same concept applies to just about every aspect in life.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I agree, and what goes around, when they inflict such harm on others, it will certainly come around with God's judgement on them, if it doesn't come around during their life.
Amen MM ; Im glad Ive accepted and love Christ now so my past wrongs and sins have been completely forgiven by his atoning sacrifice on my behalf . Id hate to have to give account for some of the careless and self-seeking things ive done .

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 PM

282 posts, read 340,069 times
ok, I didn't think that it had anything to do with the bible...just checking

Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
ok, I didn't think that it had anything to do with the bible...just checking
Not directly, but it does in many ways. Many scriptures from the Bible do mention it, but not exactly in the "What goes around comes around" context. Bottom line, what you do now (goes around) will affect you for eternity (comes back around).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates