Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
And it's already been explained why over and over yet you are incredulous. it's about "power" and white people have ability so it gives others a sense of confidence in them (of course not all deserve that) so naturally ensues their physical appearance would be better received or viewed. people who look too different from themselves will be at first viewed more negatively. but this doesn't apply in america to the same extent, their are whites etc who prefer black people and feel more comfortable than with others including asians etc. if it's not color maybe it's the same shape eyes they feel more kinship with or identifty with or on an emotional level etc. it's not just COLOR. there are also plenty of people who view asians as the most alien from them. what people identify with is varied. it depends on the person. you keep making it a color issue which is correct to some extent but you skew it and the op as if that's the only means of bigotry or discrimination.

some short people are tired of being seen as less than tall people etc. when people say they want someone who is 'tall' or whatever, isn't that discriminating against shorter people? of course it is.

white people are on the worldwide stage and with media. of course this isn't true per individual. some people don't consider the individual, they go by popular opinion. lots of people are like that no matter what race. another issue is though color may be one reason or their looks (people discriminate based on looks too whether it's racist or not), they may actually not like the person for other cultural differences or just the person themselves.
This is the point I have been making. There is a tendency in non-white cultures to want to identify with what they perceive to be the "power" inherent in whiteness. If you read the link, you would find that, if surveyed, most non-white cultures would proclaim to have more in common with white people than with black people. This is no mere coincidence.

While I would concede that Asians do suffer from the "perpetual foreigner" syndrome here in America, it is also true that Asians, at only 4% of the US population, are remarkably overrepresented in marriages with whites. Additionally, even the most vehement white racists do not hesitate to trot out Asians as an example of how blacks and other minorities should act. Also, just a quick look at some of the threads around here would give you an idea just how much Asians are put on a pedestal relative to other minorities, namely black people. One example: are asians attractive? This does not strike me as evidence that Asians, by and large, suffer from a degree of discrimination comparable to blacks.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
( from the OP )-----------" She was willing to use her money out of her own expense to take me to Japan to meet her family and get married"

You better stick to Japaneese women.

Most American women don't fall for that ---" using their money"---on a guy in hopes of marriage.

Perhaps they realize they will always be using --"their money"-- on you in the future and decide it just ain't worth it.

Last edited by marmac; 10-20-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Men who aren't uber-macho tend to get the short end of the stick in most of the western world, so it's less about race and more about value systems. America loves aggression.
That might explain why I am 23 and have never had a girlfriend. I am not anywhere close to macho. I know some martial arts(mainly karatedo), and I do like to play sports. Other than that, no where near macho. I am also slight-statured. In addition, I have a nerdy persona, and an appreciation for things like Hello Kitty(and I am the only straight male I know who does, actually, the only male I know who does) and folding paper cranes. Because I am an African-American male, some people actually find the way I am kind of strange. Personally, I like the particulars in me and feel that they are a part of me. I like myself for it. If some women don't like that, it might disturb me, but maybe those particular women are the problem. You have a point that aggression from men is expect. With that said, I think race and value systems tend to be mixed in. What I mean is this: Black men are often expected to be aggressive and when someone who isn't that aggressive comes along, some people are surprised.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This is the point I have been making. There is a tendency in non-white cultures to want to identify with what they perceive to be the "power" inherent in whiteness. If you read the link, you would find that, if surveyed, most non-white cultures would proclaim to have more in common with white people than with black people. This is no mere coincidence.

While I would concede that Asians do suffer from the "perpetual foreigner" syndrome here in America, it is also true that Asians, at only 4% of the US population, are remarkably overrepresented in marriages with whites. Additionally, even the most vehement white racists do not hesitate to trot out Asians as an example of how blacks and other minorities should act. Also, just a quick look at some of the threads around here would give you an idea just how much Asians are put on a pedestal relative to other minorities, namely black people. One example: are asians attractive? This does not strike me as evidence that Asians, by and large, suffer from a degree of discrimination comparable to blacks.
city-data is not indicative of the rest of the population. asians are not seen as attractive but people do not always marry for attractiveness. asians DO SUFFER discrimination BY AND LARGE. just because they can get married to other races doesn't mean they aren't discriminated. they are the most discriminated socially, i know it's shocking to you (actually it's ridiculous) but blacks are more socially accepted than asians in america and even seen in a more positive light. did you ever consider maybe most blacks do not want to marry whites and that may be the reason? i don't even have to look at those statistics to know it pertains to asian women not asian men. of course, asian women would be more represented in marriages with white men in america. asian women are seen as most submissive (stereotype) and asian women see white men as most prosperous (stereotype) and of higher social stature. the ASIAN MALE has been emasculated pretty much anywhere western media has infiltrated the world over so of course asian men would be left out in the cold, definitely in western countries. it's not hard to figure out.

what do you mean, that's the point you've been making? of course most people will be more keen on finding those who are perceived to have more power more attractive, not that this is right or wrong. i've been explaining it all along. people don't say i want a poor spouse etc.

and whites represent that at least for now, where does your incredulity come from? i think you are being obtuse on purpose.

this idea of yours that everyone should "look at the heart" etc is very naive, not that it isn't true but most people are about what they can benefit from the association in a myriad of ways.

Last edited by rory00; 10-20-2009 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Considering that black people in general face more racism in this nation than most non-blacks
the bolded part makes me laugh. And i'm going to be just frank and flat out tell you that this is a total, complete lie. That is right, a total, and complete lie.

Stereotypes and racism change over time just as the social climate. This is a tired old complaint that is not applicable because in american society, everyone discriminates against everyone else.

there are all types of people with their own individual preferences and prejudices.

it's amazing to me how unrealistic people are if they've been living and interacting in society. artificial ideas and what really is in the world are two different things.

there are whites who like blacks or hispanics but hate asians. there are blacks who like whites but hate asians. there are hispanics who like whites but hate blacks. there are hispanics who like blacks but hate whites. there are hispanics that like whites and blacks but hate asians. there are asians who like whites but hate blacks. there are asians who like hispanics and blacks but hate whites etc this is not just about black vs white or "everyone" is against blacks. still, the majority of whites view blacks and those who look part european in a more favorable light, no matter what skincolor. they also do not like the reservedness of asian as it's the antithesis of how they see themselves and are uncomfortable. whites are much more socially inclined to blacks and hispanics than other asians. americans like more aggressive personalities and the truth is most americans are aggressive. that is again, not an opinion, but a fact of the american mentality. the most common white person in america is one that sees blacks and hispanics more american and accepting of them than an east asian, so this idea that blacks are the most discriminated is baloney. whites tend to identify emotionally and culturally with african-americans and even somewhat with hispanics and because they are part white. just because you see thugs on cop shows doesn't mean blacks are discriminated more when in fact they are the least discriminated considering the overall crime stats etc. americans do KNOW all blacks are not bad people or are uneducated or are criminals. we're talking about mainstream here and my assessment is more accurate. of course their are racists from the old school and here and there who have prejudices against blacks but that is not mainstream america. i KNOW this. as far as asians, it is the antithesis of that and mainstream america does not accept them and is quite prejudicial or ignore them. it's the exceptions, though it appears to be many, who view asians in a favorable light.

this is the tip of the iceberg and there are every kind of combination thereof in regard to racism.

there is no such thing as just "blacks are more discriminated" anymore than anyone else. they just have thier own set of stereotypes to deal with just like others but they are cushioned more by being seen as most american by americans including "most" white americans.

blacks are not discriminated nearly as much as asians in america and now even hispanics face more discrimination. this is not my frigging opinion but an overall fact. times have changed in this country and the old excuses do not apply. you can't just keep using old stereotypes without realizing how the culture changes.

america is the most prejudicial regarding asians and do not accept them as a whole as americans socially. it doesn't matter how many marry whites etc.

Last edited by rory00; 10-20-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
One example: are asians attractive? This does not strike me as evidence that Asians, by and large, suffer from a degree of discrimination comparable to blacks.
i don't know why you refuse to notice the obvious in society when asians are not seen as attractive BY AND LARGE as you put it, especially in america. that's right, especially in america. they are not sought after dating material by the mainstream and especially asian men. an attractive black, hispanic or white woman will be preferable any day of the week and twice on sunday.

even the girl starting that thread is indicative of that, hence her looking for validation. if a black girl started a thread with a similar title, she would get responses from those who find black women attractive or people being polite from c-d members, it would be the case for anyone who started such a thread on cd. asians are far left or right of the curve in just about everything. they do not fit into the mainstream in looks or anything else.

i find your overall perspective very unfair and rather greedy and selfish. white women in america and even in many european countries prefer black or hispanic men over asian men for not only dating but marriage too. there are lots of black/white couples in germany who are married, for instance.

you complain about asian women dating white men and scrutinize them but the fact is most african-american men do not find asian women attractive. you have a pretty hypocritical view. i bet if you went around randomly doing a survery and asked every african-american who he would prefer to date or marry, a black, white, hispanic woman; asians would be the lesser choice for most. this whole argument with you is indicative of your skewed viewpoint.

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2009 at 12:15 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Correct, I'm' not upset about it. I'm just pointing out that you are taking this way too seriously and that's odd.

i want people to notice this, as i think there are more intelligent people on c-d, not so much the mainstream.

as i was calling out the actual belittling and dismissing of other's experience of discrimination, this ploy is often used that you are taking it too "seriously." it's to deflect attention so they don't have to admit or be honest because they just don't care, it's not popular opinion. it's just indicative of the larger social mainstream fabric and mindframe. this is typical mainstream thinking and ploys. the focus on only the popular opinion even if it's erroneous.

Quote:
I'm certain that it's true that many, if not most, non-black women who pursue black men do so with racial stereotypes in mind
this is not even true when you combine it with your false claims as you did below and your post IS hinting or implying it's only or mostly black men. watch me use a counterexample using your own logic: asian women are pursued with stereotypes in mind of being the submissive female and easier to control. as a further example, i know an asian woman who has a white husband who treats her like a maid and never loved her, he still objectifies her, even her kids say so since they witnessed how their father treats their mother. i guess i could go on to make a claim that it's asians who are the most discriminated and most objectified in america. considering they, as a group, are not a problem to american society in comparison to other minorities, i could further compound this as weight and gravity to assert that asians have it the worst and get the shaft even more. see how that logic works? but it's not exactly like that. it's mostly asian men who have the hardest time in being respected in america and then all the others have thier own issues. so i'm even more objective than your typical and tired mainstream idiocracy. no wonder this country is failing. lol

Quote:
Considering that black people in general face more racism in this nation than most non-blacks

since you like to use personal examples, here is another one: i was taunted by a group of blacks and whites whom together mockingly laughed and told me to go back to my third world bamboo hut (which is ignorant because asian infrastructure was not just at the level of building huts, even historically). they were so proud of themselves feeling so superior and so sure of themselves. that really isn't the only time something similar was conveyed to me as an insult of being an outsider and being of lowly stature in america.

the above example is very mainstream. you have the off perception that it's blacks in america who are the most discriminated yet no one would dare say such a thing to an african-american. besides, mainstream whites do see blacks as thier equals and fellow americans and all others as from poor, undeveloped countries that are below them and unamerican, especially asians which is even more peculiar probably because they see them as the most different. get a clue.

Last edited by rory00; 10-21-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
it's mostly asian men who have the hardest time in being respected in america
thats what the study i posted about also seemed to indicate (link here: Your Race Affects Whether People Write You Back « OkTrends)

as a south asian male myself i have to kinda agree...

Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i think that many AA guys look for respect from women. but the respect they crave must come from within. to be fair i think islam is a good start for this process for many, not women.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Quit Chasing Non Black Women And Run For The White House In 2012...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLightan View Post
I am a black male, and most people have said and rated me very attractive and very intelligent. I graduated from one of the top private universities in the country and I hold a very good job for a person my age. I also have traveled around the world and have noticed a huge disparity on how women from other countries treat me compared to how most women in America treat me.

It just seems as if most women born in this country who are white, Asian, Latina etc; are so hesitant to actually start a relationship with me. There is no doubt they show there is obvious interest in me with them sending me text messages and giving me there numbers, flirting with me in the office, inviting me to some special events. However when it comes to you know starting a real relationship and even showing you want to commit, they run around circles and play games. Almost as if they are scared to have them meet there parents. I once asked this beautiful white female out who I knew was interested in me from the start and it took almost four months of leading her and basically just asking her out until she finally agreed to go on a date. Our relationship only lasted two months and it seems all of my relationships with women raised in this country last only from one night to two months.

It is completely different with the woman I encountered from other countries. I met this one Japanese girl who was cute and goofy, and our strange relationship lasted long. She was willing to use her money out of her own expense to take me to Japan to meet her family and get married. She was serious about it too, saw the ticket and everything. I also once dated this girl from Spain, and she was very open-minded from the start...I even met her family.

I also had this long relationship with a white woman from Germany. We dated and went to Germany together for a couple months. I can tell you my experience as a black man in Germany on a daily basis was much more positive than my experience as a black man in America. I felt the people there automatically gave me respect. No long stares, great conversations, and hardly any of it had to do with me being black. Ironically, it is like that when I go to any other European country, I just feel that I am more respected and accepted. Who would have thought I would feel comfortable in a sea of white faces, however this issue belongs in another board I guess.

I also conducted a fun experiment where I joined a dating web site for fun. I set up a quick profile with some of my pics. I decided to chat with 10 women who were from the states, and 10 women who were located internationally. My main goal was to be direct about what I wanted and ask them for their personal information. The 10 women I chatted with who were not from the states, were not uptight at all. They were willing to give out personal info about themselves, and eight out of the 10 of them even gave me there number. The only time the fact I was black came up and this was when one of them said it was there wish to have sex with a black man.

The 10 women I chatted from who were from different parts of the USA, asked follow up questions, seemed very uptight and thought I was being rude, brought up race and giving excuses that they have not been in a biracial relationship before. They tried to give me other options like maybe an email or aim at first and all that other nonsense.

Why has the World or at least the Eastern Hemisphere put race aside however America has not? Maybe that is the real question. Why am I not truly accepted by the mainstream in when basically I did everything right here in America, but the world accepts me? An answer to the question I posed is the American media that continues to belittle and defame black people, and portray our culture as inferior. There are other variables, and I could use other examples based on current evens to validate my point. It is so ironic indeed.
Sorry Bro... I can't shed a tear for you , so just get some mental toughness and hang on in there or focus over sea's....wait a minute maybe make a run for the white house....i'm a 57 y.o. AA
and it sound to me like you are living the good life...cry no more.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates