U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
 
768 posts, read 933,542 times
Reputation: 337

Advertisements

Where do rights come from?

Some believe they come from God, but what if God does not exist. And even if God does exist, how do we know God cares about what happens on this minute grain of sand we call earth?

Some believe they come from the State. But if rights are given to us by the State, than the State can take them away?

Some believe that rights are inherent in each individual by virtue of the fact that we of all creatures on Earth have conscience and reason. It would seem that this is the only theory in which rights would be secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
One could argue that no individual has any rights, without the consent of his society. Society, however, does not have the right to convey that consent, without the consent of any established government that has the power to enforce its will on the society. So ultimately, the king, provided he has the men under arms to enforce his will, grants the rights.

Philosophers may regard any rights they wish as "inalienable", and embellishing it with "God-given" adds a flourish, but saying it does not make it so. In the end, it is the man with the gun, which is why prisoners (even innocent ones) don't have any rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,482,478 times
Reputation: 3243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One could argue that no individual has any rights, without the consent of his society.
One could argue that, but to do so negates the very meaning of the word "rights", which would be illogical.

While I am pro-gun, whether an individual has a gun and makes the rules does not determine who has rights or not. The one with the gun may determine who gets to exercise his rights, but he doesn't determine who has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
One could argue that, but to do so negates the very meaning of the word "rights", which would be illogical.

While I am pro-gun, whether an individual has a gun and makes the rules does not determine who has rights or not. The one with the gun may determine who gets to exercise his rights, but he doesn't determine who has them.
It would also be illogical to declare that there are rights that you cannot define. What is the "meaning" of the word that I just negated?

Who yells "Freeze!"? The guy with the gun, or the guy without the gun?

What is the value of having rights that you don't get to exercise? How can a "right" be something you are restrained from exercising.

Every living organism came into existence for only one purpose---to engage in the struggle to either eat or be eaten. What are its "rights"? From where does a dandelion get its rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,931 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Reputation: 35926
A mans rights come from in order...

1. His wife.
2. His Boss
3. His church
4. His State
5. His federal govt.

What determines the ability to exercises your rights is how much power You give to the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 PM
 
315 posts, read 669,808 times
Reputation: 291
Did you know most all humans would engage in ongoing criminal acts if not for the pressure of the society around them to "be good" Most people don't like to hear this, but if they really stop to think about it, they realize it is true. The societies that we live in set the standards of rights, like it or not. They set our moral standards, and ethical lines we conclude for ourselves.

That said, it is my belief that all humans born on this earth should be given unrestricted rights to freedom and the endless pursuit of happiness. Not guaranteed those things, but the uninhibited right to pursue them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
 
3,440 posts, read 7,048,655 times
Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Did you know most all humans would engage in ongoing criminal acts if not for the pressure of the society around them to "be good" Most people don't like to hear this, but if they really stop to think about it, they realize it is true. The societies that we live in set the standards of rights, like it or not. They set our moral standards, and ethical lines we conclude for ourselves.

That said, it is my belief that all humans born on this earth should be given unrestricted rights to freedom and the endless pursuit of happiness. Not guaranteed those things, but the uninhibited right to pursue them
.

Are you a student of Aleister Crowley?

Anyhow, I respect your statement but I don't fully agree with you. Did you know that the most blood that was shed was over religion more then anything else? So please tell me how society and the churches that have been set up for us are keeping us good? Research Knights Templar or the catholic inquisition to further understand my point.

Also I believe that certain racial groups have more aggressive tendency's towards other humans and animals then other racial groups. We are not just different by color and culture you know; it goes much deeper otherwise since the Ancient Phoenicians (oldest culture on record) we all would have integrated and became once complete race by now.


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/4/49/20060403124905%21Aleister_Crowley_1.png (broken link)

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-17-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
 
3,440 posts, read 7,048,655 times
Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Where do rights come from?

Some believe they come from God, but what if God does not exist. And even if God does exist, how do we know God cares about what happens on this minute grain of sand we call earth?

Some believe they come from the State. But if rights are given to us by the State, than the State can take them away?

Some believe that rights are inherent in each individual by virtue of the fact that we of all creatures on Earth have conscience and reason. It would seem that this is the only theory in which rights would be secure.
Sigh... this is a heavy topic and very laborious.


A good place to start is to research why you have ALL CAPITAL letters on your bills, SS card and drivers license.

My straw man is an artificial person created by law at my birth on September 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
My original Social Security card had my name in lower case letters. (It also said "Not to be used for identification.) So did the first Drivers License I ever had. Now, my library card and my NRA membership card have it in lower case.

I can think of at least a half a dozen reasons why all caps would be a logical choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Reputation: 735
Rights come from the society.

If society broke up... some war or something.. you'd just form smaller packs with people you know and you will decide your rights from there.

Just like a family makes rights for their members, a city for its citzens, country, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top