Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Okay I should say most. A lot of what you first posted in this thread is right on. A few things were off, but for the most part, right on the money.

Vice Lords, originated to protect themselves from other gangs in the area. They were throwing down from the begining. Then they came to a point, that they decided to give back to their community and started doing some great things on the west side of Chicago, well until the original Dictator Dailey put a stop to it.

Also, while there are many young people that don't believe they have a way out, this usually depends on what gang they belong to. A lot of gangs out there don't cause no problem if someone wants to get out, it is usually if they want to flip to another gang.
No, this is how it is working. Some gangs are far more organized.
17 year old backs out of killing someone and decides that he wants out. So, there not being enough available members to beat him out prior to his incarceration, he is notified that incarceration is not a problem they will find him.

You want to finish this story for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, this is how it is working. Some gangs are far more organized.
17 year old backs out of killing someone and decides that he wants out. So, there not being enough available members to beat him out prior to his incarceration, he is notified that incarceration is not a problem they will find him.

You want to finish this story for me?
Like I said, it depends on which gangs you are talking about here. I will use one of the gangs you used for your post... the Vice Lords. Vice Lords don't beat in or out. I would say the Vice Lords are a very organized gang.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
What is the best legal way to deal with gangs on a community level...
  • In a city where they have already become established?
  • In a town or city where they are just beginning to get a foothold?

In a town with no real identified gang activity, would you consider the presence of jr. high/high school age "wannabes" who emulate the clothing, speech and behavior of gangs, do graffiti and minor vandalism/theft as a forewarning to gang activity or not? ( I have seen this mentioned on some state/city forums where it's often dimissed as not really a precursor to actual gang activity.)
The only way to effectively deal with gang activity, once it is established is through a zero tolerance policy in which the police basically kick a.s.s. and take names and lock 'em up. Also, most states now have laws on the books which make sentencing tougher for a crime if it is gang-related. This also helps. As far as gang prevention? Well, the REAL answer of course, lies at home, where the breakdown of the traditional nuclear family is the prime causation of kids joining gangs. But that's a social issue. All the state and schools can do is talk to the kids about the pitfalls of gang-banging, and maybe bring in some ex-bangers to talk to 'em as well, using the old "scared straight" tactics.
My hometown of Boise is a model for dealing with gangs. We have expereinced tremendous growth over the past 15 years or so, and alot of our immigrants are from California--almost too many? LOL. Anyway, some of those southern cali gangs tried to muscle in and our fine police force simply got medieval on their butts and ran 'em out of town for good. BPD rocks!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
The only way to effectively deal with gang activity, once it is established is through a zero tolerance policy in which the police basically kick a.s.s. and take names and lock 'em up. Also, most states now have laws on the books which make sentencing tougher for a crime if it is gang-related. This also helps. As far as gang prevention? Well, the REAL answer of course, lies at home, where the breakdown of the traditional nuclear family is the prime causation of kids joining gangs. But that's a social issue. All the state and schools can do is talk to the kids about the pitfalls of gang-banging, and maybe bring in some ex-bangers to talk to 'em as well, using the old "scared straight" tactics.
My hometown of Boise is a model for dealing with gangs. We have expereinced tremendous growth over the past 15 years or so, and alot of our immigrants are from California--almost too many? LOL. Anyway, some of those southern cali gangs tried to muscle in and our fine police force simply got medieval on their butts and ran 'em out of town for good. BPD rocks!
A lot of times the court system abuses the gang related crimes, can it be effective, yes, but, only if done correctly.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it depends on which gangs you are talking about here. I will use one of the gangs you used for your post... the Vice Lords. Vice Lords don't beat in or out. I would say the Vice Lords are a very organized gang.

But, we don't have all Vice Lords.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
But, we don't have all Vice Lords.
Which is why I said it depends on the gang. BPS also don't beat in or out. There are also others that don't. I was just pointing out that on the issue of not knowing how to get out, depends on the gang they are involved in.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Which is why I said it depends on the gang. BPS also don't beat in or out. There are also others that don't. I was just pointing out that on the issue of not knowing how to get out, depends on the gang they are involved in.
I agree it does greatly depend. It also depends on how well organized and how early demands are made.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
See, there's the racial issue again, do you hate everyone? What's the deal? Whitey hates blacks, is that it?
I don't know about other whiteys, but this whitey looks around with eyes open and sees what's going on in the real world.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
didn't know being part of the mafia was a prerequisite to buying/selling drugs.

i'm talking bout where some of the financial backing for the drug cartels may be coming from!

the buying /selling can go on anywhere by anyone and not necessarily gangs----but the money behind the supply is coming from somewhere(not the gangs in every city,small town)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i'm talking bout where some of the financial backing for the drug cartels may be coming from!

the buying /selling can go on anywhere by anyone and not necessarily gangs----but the money behind the supply is coming from somewhere(not the gangs in every city,small town)
Most Americans are particularly proud of America because of its vast wealth. That's where the financial backing comes from. If you are going to gloat about American's vast wealth, I'd suggest you check and see how that wealth is being used before you wave the flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates