Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

I was doing some reading last night about companies that contract with the Federal Government. I came across one company in particular that was contracted to work with the Department of Education and realized that they are not registered with the BBB.

Do you think that companies that contract with the Fed's should be registered with the BBB and have a good track record with the public/people they are dealing with? If so, why? If not, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
A Better Business Bureau endorsement means absolute crap. The BBB is a worthless organization, and their recommendations mean nothing.

Some time ago I filed a registered complaint against a plumbing company with the BBB. The long story made short is this: If a company pays their annual dues to the BBB, they can do almost anything and not lose their A+ rating.

This is fact: A BBB-endorsed company can lose 10 court cases against them, and if they keep their BBB dues paid and those judgments against the company do not to through BBB Arbitration, they business keeps it's A+ rating.

So... Frankly, I'd prefer to see a company that is NOT registered with the BBB doing contract work.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I was doing some reading last night about companies that contract with the Federal Government. I came across one company in particular that was contracted to work with the Department of Education and realized that they are not registered with the BBB.

Do you think that companies that contract with the Fed's should be registered with the BBB and have a good track record with the public/people they are dealing with? If so, why? If not, why?
In my opinion, the BBB isn't worth anything.

I've used companies that were members, several times, and everytime its been a let down.

For instance, my move. I used a company that was in good standings with the BBB, yet they charged me more than 3 times the quote, they contracted out with another company, after they told me they wouldn't, and I had several lost or broken items.

Thats just one example.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
As I understand it, the BBB is a private enterprise, who does nothing but act as a cheerleader for companies that pay them their annual dues.

The BBB is not regulated in any way by any governmental or quasi-governmental oversight. Any business in any community can choose to voluntarily affiliate with the BBB. The BBB can conduct its business in any way it sees fit. It is entirely supported by the businesses who pay them dues, and its sole purpose is to foster those businesses.

If the government tried to make BBB membership a condition of a government contract, it would be as inappropriate as making membership in the Rotary Club a condition of a contract.

It's a sort of a protection racket, actually.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:59 PM

We utilize the BBB at home to search for companies and their history of course. But, my current thought about this situation is why would the government contract with a company that has such a TERRIBLE rapport with the public?

I know, I know...some would c'mon this is government... but it still puzzles me.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
But, my current thought about this situation is why would the government contract with a company that has such a TERRIBLE rapport with the public?

Many of the companies with government contracts, the general public is not even aware of their existence. They are specialized companies that perform services almost exclusively for governmental agencies, and the public would have no reason whatsoever to have any rapport with them. Do you think Blackwater is going to be a member of the local BBB in Currituck, North Carolina?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Many of the companies with government contracts, the general public is not even aware of their existence. They are specialized companies that perform services almost exclusively for governmental agencies, and the public would have no reason whatsoever to have any rapport with them. Do you think Blackwater is going to be a member of the local BBB in Currituck, North Carolina?

In my reading last night, I stumbled across agencies that work for DOE and collect for them. The names of some of these agencies struck me as odd so I researched them. I was shocked at what I read. So, yes they do have a reason to deal with the public.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM

I live in a city of 70,000 in south Texas. I just looked in my yellow pages under the heading of "Oil Field Services", None of them, are members of the BBB. Many of them have probably bid on at least one government contract. I will guarantee you that NONE of these companies want to "deal with the public". In fact, there is a good chance that there are dozens more of them that don't even buy a listing of their phone number in the yellow pages.

I just looked up bbb.org and ran a search. The closest Oil Field Services match that has a BBB listing is 37 miles away, and there are only two of them within 80 miles.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-20-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 AM

My point is this, why would the government KNOWINGLY contract with someone who is known to have a poor rapport with the public?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
My point is this, why would the government KNOWINGLY contract with someone who is known to have a poor rapport with the public?
Do you define "poor rapport with the public" as "not paying annuyal dues to the BBB"?

Why don't you give us some specific examples of a company with "poor rapport with the public" who has a government contract, and show us how non-membeship in the BBB is evidence of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates