U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 AM

325 posts, read 253,217 times
I always wonder what the concept of American freedom really meant. Vacationed there many times and didn't find it more free than any other country I'd visited.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM

4,306 posts, read 3,130,818 times
You are much less free to sunbathe nude, drink alcohol under 21 or gamble than us, as a homosexual I would not be allowed to get married in most US states but can here, I would need to go through a rigorous passport control system just to transit through a US airport, your speed limits are generally lower than ours, a lot of the people in American prisons would not be in prison here, and employees here cannot make you do a drug test or fire you without a good reason, and the swear filter on American TV bleeps out words we would consider acceptable.

On the other side, in Britain we cannot own guns without a very good reason and a tight background check, as an employer I imagine I would be less free in firing employees, we cannot learn to drive a car until age 17 (and then it's much more expensive/a hassle), our planning laws on new buildings are much more restrictive, we have less freedom to spend our own money (i.e. higher taxes), more CCTV, and there are probably some others I can't think of.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM

11,859 posts, read 10,299,498 times
As an American, we pay through the nose to live in a "free" country.

Every freaking thing has some sort of tax on it.

As another poster has stated, we need permits for everything.
Want to add a deck to your house, you need a permit.
Want a flag in front of your house - ask the HOA for permission
etc
TV, pay for all the channels, no longer free.
Buy a car - but you have to pay a registration every year for it....I only bought it once.

see where I am going with this.

so are we really free???? I do have to wonder somethimes

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

3,785 posts, read 3,063,148 times
We become less free here everyday in the name of the government making us safe and that is a real joke. So many gave their lives to have a free country, sad that it means nothing anymore.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 PM

421 posts, read 213,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really?

Truth be told, South Africa is far more free that America. You can get as pissed as you want and still drive in fact laws are in general advisory.

I suppose it really depends what you want, is freedom really what you want, what does that even mean?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM

6,181 posts, read 3,069,136 times
Quote:
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really?
Most illegals sure think so.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 AM

49 posts, read 5,817 times
Quote:
Perhaps in one sense it is...but, is it when a huge part of the american populus wrongly take advantage of, twist, pervert, our constitutional freedoms for thier own wrongful , harmful, and degrading agendas ? Something tells me that The Founding Fathers wanted citizens to have these freedoms but not use them as a license for deviant behavior , uncivil actions, and immoral quests which are poisionous to an entire nation. Of course when our culture and media promotes these kinds of things, it gets firmly engrained in society which then becomes the norm ; the end result is an entire nation becomes desensitized and apathetic . It only escalates for future generations coming up the ladder . What do you think a viable solution might be ?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM

4,466 posts, read 4,642,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMePeter View Post
Perhaps in one sense it is...but, is it when a huge part of the american populus wrongly take advantage of, twist, pervert, our constitutional freedoms for thier own wrongful , harmful, and degrading agendas ? Something tells me that The Founding Fathers wanted citizens to have these freedoms but not use them as a license for deviant behavior , uncivil actions, and immoral quests which are poisionous to an entire nation. Of course when our culture and media promotes these kinds of things, it gets firmly engrained in society which then becomes the norm ; the end result is an entire nation becomes desensitized and apathetic . It only escalates for future generations coming up the ladder . What do you think a viable solution might be ?
Could you give any solid examples of this negative turn of events, and explain how it's worse than public lynchings, slavery, blood vengeance, a general lower education level, etc.

And how does this tie in to freedom? Do you think there should be less of it? More of it? The same but focused differently?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 411,525 times
When one looks at the surveillance and incarceration stats and trends, one would rightfully conclude that we are one of the least free nations on the planet. Government agents can now do ANYTHING they want due to the Patriot Act.

Never, But Never Make Friends With the One Who Can Eat You - Stella's Magazine

Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM

1,788 posts, read 411,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
We may have been once upon a time. But now, I don't think so. As someone stated, we are over-regulated. I'm wondering how long it will be before we need a permit to take a dump and how much it will be taxed.
We'll be taxed up the a** for that I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates