Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM

768 posts, read 1,087,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
So, probably not the freest. Probably not the greatest. But not that bad.
But not that good either.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In what modern developed countries are people NOT free to shop at Walmart or eat at McDonalds (or their equivalent)?

Here is a test. Buy an old car and paint the word "Taxi" on the side, and go to the airport and pull up to the curb in front of the terminal. See how many laws you have broken.

Put a kitchen chair on your front lawn and a sign that says "Haircuts---$5" See how many laws you have broken.

On election day, just show up at a voting station, and say you want a ballot. See if anyone there thinks you are free to vote.

Book your next vacation at a resort hotel on the beach in Cuba. See what happens. See if it's Castro, or Obama who stops you.
This is why I am so strongly in favor of individual secession

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog8...secession.html

Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
I just saw a TV commercial in which the CEO of Sprint said this is the freest couintry in the world. Most Americans probably believe that. But, is it really?
Most Americans believe everything they're told.
I wonder how many other developed nations allow employers to check the body fluids of employees?
It's too bad that many believe freedom is not placing restrictions on business.
Some government controls are necessary; licensing pilots to fly, Dept of Agriculture to ensure that meats and other foods meet certain requirements, not allowing certain businesses to pollute the environment, ...

Last edited by Visvaldis; 09-21-2009 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
What about the REAL ID Act of 2005 that goes into effect in Dec 09 which says that every American will need a Federal ID tag to enter any public building, any federal building or any aircraft. Non US citizens are exempt. Huh? You can thank the Dictator Bush for that one.

What about the right to peaceful assembly. It no longer exists. If we try to assemble to protest the useless good for nothing govt then the pigs will arrest us for unlawful assembly or whatever trumped charge they feel like making up at the moment.

There is a new federal act sneaked through this year. It provides for peaceful assembly zones. This is where protesters can protest till their hearts content.......except these zones are established by the local pigs to suit each situation and will always be well out of the public view.

Freedom of speech? Why are employees of retail stores threatened of their jobs and their lives if they say those dirty filthy curse words "Merry Christmas".

Why am I not allowed to hang a sign outside my store that says: "English speaking only need enter?"

Why are people coming to my country and protesting our ways and customs? Why does one tiny group complain about the words "In God We Trust" on our money and this sheety govt listens to them and removes those words which been there since money was printed.

I have a hundred more..........

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM

315 posts, read 776,313 times
The freedoms you are perceived to have in American are granted by "slight of hand" they are not real. The Federal Government has taken over almost all aspects of our lives and their intrusion is growing by the minute.

You never really own anything anymore. There are hundreds of ways for the government or their cronies to strip things away from you for any petty issue

For the little guy, the fix is in. You are controlled, over powered, oppressed and hold no value to those in power. All the while, telling you how free you are.

Each aspect of anything you do or say in America is controlled, and watched. The government has grown to what our founding fathers feared most and tried to prevent.

The biggest issue I see with the government and its intrusion on freedom is this: The government views that everything has to be "prefect" any issues that comes up, just pass a law, write a new regulation, intrude, intrude, intrude. But what they fail to realize, that freedom is not perfect. With freedom comes many flaws. Our founding fathers knew this, but they also recognized that most people would rather leave in freedom, flaws and all, then have the government control and monitor all aspects of their lives.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why does one tiny group complain about the words "In God We Trust" on our money and this sheety govt listens to them and removes those words which been there since money was printed.

The words "In God We Trust" appeared on our one-dollar bill for the first time in 1957. As far as I know, the sheety govt has not removed those words.

What does that have to do with whether individual people have freedom or not?

This thread's topic is the personal freedoms of the American people in their daily lives.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most Americans believe everything they're told..
True because most American's are either stupid or lazy or both.

Quote:
It's too bad that many believe freedom is not placing restrictions on business.
This will NEVER happen because the corporations can buy politicians. Corporate CEO's are probably the freest people in this country next to the politicians themselves. America is really a Plutocracy.
Quote:
Some government controls are necessary; Dept of Agriculture to ensure that meats and other foods meet certain requirements, not allowing certain businesses to pollute the environment, ...
Agreed, but who says it must be the government that does this? A group of cattle farmers know more about quality of mean than some government bureaucrat.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
The words "In God We Trust" appeared on our one-dollar bill for the first time in 1957. As far as I know, the sheety govt has not removed those words.

What does that have to do with whether individual people have freedom or not?

This thread's topic is the personal freedoms of the American people in their daily lives.
In God We Trust will be removed from all coinage shorty. The new ones already have. I want those words to remain on coinage even though I do not believe in the man on the moon. I lost the freedom to keep my culture that is hundreds of years old and have to give in to new immigrants who dont like it.

I dont need to be reminded what the thread is about from anyone. I am responding to your thread and did a damn good job of it with the facts you asked for.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In God We Trust will be removed from all coinage shorty. The new ones already have.r.

Link, please. So far, it has not been removed from any, but has been moved to a different place on a coin that I've never even seen in circulation.

Is it hard work being wrong ALL the time?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
LOL!
I am beginning to see a pattern with some members being constant neh say, doom say, anti this, that and the other thing. I wonder how they go on that way and don't bump into everything, looking over their shoulder all the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates