Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
You obviously forget New Orleans after Katrina. You can "reason" with the looters. I'll handle them in a more positive way. Positive for me and my loved ones that is.
Don't forget the LA riots, one of the factors that stopped the rioters is when the Asian community started defending their property with firearms.

One of my main concerns which is fairly common today is getting my front door kicked in at 2am. It's starting to happen on a much more regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I just want to know the details of SHTF.
I don't think we can specifically know its details. But what we can know is that it has happened to many people many times throughout history. We also know that many of the victims of these events have been just as complacent and ill-prepared as about 99% of we in the USA are.

The thing that I haven't been able to find (as a legitimate historical reference) is a time when good chunk of the population actually makes fun of and scoffs at those who believe in being prepared for an emergency (in whatever form it may come). That seems to be unique to our times... at our own folly should something bad happen.

As far as the details, here are some possibilities (certainly not exhaustive, but a start) that have come to pass in history or could in the future:

Earthquake, volcanic eruption, climate change due to volcanic eruption, tsunami, severe weather events, drought, famine, flood, heat wave, severe winter, crop failures, radical climate change, epidemic, pandemic, fire (forest/city), gamma ray burst, solar flare, cosmic impact event, magnetic pole shift, political upheaval, government collapse, civil strife, breakdown in power grid, breakdown in transportation system, food supply blight/disease, drug/criminal cartel surge, invasion, world war, nuclear war, nuclear blast, terrorism event, poisoning of food/water supply, chemical attack, ... and so on. Add onto this the ‘magnitude and frequency principle’ and even mild events can turn to major problems.

I don’t think it’s productive to be obsessed with these possibilities, and I certainly don’t think all of them are even survivable... but I contend that there is nothing wrong with being prepared for a local, regional, or global emergency. Preparation is NOT paranoia; it’s good sense. And, yes, having a serviceable weapon is a potentially valuable part of that preparation.

I’m not there yet, but I’m trying to get to a point in which I could live for a time on my own supplies (without any ‘savior’ which may or may not be there in a bad situation) and a point in which I am initially mobile with at least some of those supplies. And even though the philosophy of the day is that someone will always be there to save our asses in a crisis, I don’t buy it. Preparedness is not extremism. Preparedness always has been and always will be good sense.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
both that brave Patriot in New Hampshire with a gun at the Obama Rally and the one with the AR-15 in Phoenix were members of We the People and the congregation of that Pastor who prays for Obama to die. In fact here they are supporting Sherrif Joe, note the guy who was in New Hampshire carrying the Arizona Flag here. These people want an armed confrontation with Federal Authorities but the GOP embraces them

YouTube - neo-Nazi White Supremacists supporting Sheriff Joe Arpaio
mmmm hmmm. The ones who are begging for a confrontation will also be the first ones to bail if it actually goes down. This group you mention (We the People) I don't know a thing about, or whether the GOP 'embraces' them as you say. Can't care actually. There are scads of these groups out there flapping their gums about armed revolt etc. I'm well provisioned, and well armed, but not because I'm slobbering over a fight with the Feds. I'm sure not itchin' for a fight with anyone over anything. I'm more concerned about natural disaster, or maybe a big terrorist attack, that will interupt utilities and supplies. There are way more people like me out here, being quietly prepared for whatever, more concerned about making sure our families are fed and have medicine if it's needed, than there are these morons waving guns and wrapping themselves in the flag. A flag they have forgotten the meaning of, by the way. These types just get media attention.. They are nowhere near as ready for a fight, of any kind, as they think they are. A rifle, a 'cause' and a loud mouth do not a revolution make.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Most of the posters in these forums will not survive, because survival depends largely on one's ability to react. In order to react favorably, it requires a gathering of useful data, a thoughful analysis of that data, and drawing a logical conclusion from the analysis.

Of course, there are those who think they can survive purely on the basis of ammo stash. But many of those will discover that there are people who can outshoot them, so a backup skill would be helpful. Muzzle velocity will not see you through without some brain velocity to go with it.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most of the posters in these forums will not survive, because survival depends largely on one's ability to react. In order to react favorably, it requires a gathering of useful data, a thoughful analysis of that data, and drawing a logical conclusion from the analysis.
Wow, interesting comment from someone who in the same breath stated this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Turner
"No, I don't have a belief system. I am not possessed of the requisite vanity to "believe" that I have irrefutable knowledge of the origin of the universe."
"I offer no alternative, I just shoot BS, because, quite often, I know it when I see it, because unlike the origin of the universe, BS is a human construct that I have had plenty of expeirence with, in both directions."
Don't sugar coat it like that Jimmy, tell it to us straight.

You get all this good stuff from infidels.org don't you ???

Old 09-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I just want to know the details of SHTF.

I mean SHTF yesterday at 1800, where the hell was everyone? I waited. Waited. Waited.

My SHTF must be different from someone elses.
SHTF is a generic acronym for any number of possible events that put folks in a situation where day to day survival becomes job one. Basic services are no longer running, power is out, possibly looters or other undesireables are out in force etc. Katrina was a prime example. I just does not hurt to have some things stored up , just in case. weapons are actually not the number one thing, they are up there on the list, but fall behind food, a fresh water supply and medical supplies. I have a pretty good stash of different medical things. Bandageing, antibiotics, pain killer/fever reducers, stuff to make casts with, various ointments,IV gear etc. I also have BIG bags of rice and beans, canned food out the wazoo, two freezers stocked with meat, (and some on the hoof) and don't forget salt, lots of salt. If the power goes I can cure my frozen meats. I have a backup generator for my well and a 500 gallon propane tank as well. To many people take the basics for granted, but in a SHTF situation, one has to assume that the stores, hospitals etc will not be up and running, at least for a while. As to weapons, yep, gotta have em'. Lots of ammo as well, but, don't forget that a good knife and other basic hand tools will be worth their weight in gold. Fire, flood, earthquake, a large scale terrorist attack, anything that cuts off the basics, could be considered the SHTF. Never hurts to be ready for anything.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
NVPlumber, one of my backups is our family farm of 200 acres with cattle. Bring your family down with supplies and we can survive for an extended period of time.

The extremely hard part would be telling white collar geeks with no Blue Collar skills "Sorry Bud, no food available"

Old 09-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
NVPlumber, one of my backups is our family farm of 200 acres with cattle. Bring your family down with supplies and we can survive for an extended period of time.

The extremely hard part would be telling white collar geeks with no Blue Collar skills "Sorry Bud, no food available"
Indeed, extra mouths to feed that have nothing to contribute is a tough row. I don't have it in me to turn folks with kids and just plain in need away with nothing, but one would need to be very selective in giving out supplies. Of any kind. I know plenty of folks who poo poo having an emergency plan, and they would not get a thing from me. The 'it will never happen' types. Never say never.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
if it's my time to go, it's my time to go.

big deal.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Wow, interesting comment from someone who in the same breath stated this.
Don't sugar coat it like that Jimmy, tell it to us straight.

You get all this good stuff from infidels.org don't you ???
There is a difference between a "belief system", and a set of rational conclusions based on observed data. My two statements differed in that respect, so were not contradictory at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates