Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
So, SHTF is, ultimately, preparing for a hurricane. That's pretty much how we prepared it for it.

Which sounds almost exactly like the group of individuals in Tucson that stockpiled stuff in case there was an invasion from outerspace.

Good to know.
Oh come on Pandamonium! You are an intelligent person. You see absolutely no benefit to having, say, even a week or two supply of food, water, and essentials in your home for emergencies? Do you truly feel that 100% reliance on the 100% smooth daily operation of our supply system is a good idea? (and no, I'm not talking about guns, I'm just talking about general preparedness). Surely you see some wisdom in preparedness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh come on Pandamonium! You are an intelligent person. You see absolutely no benefit to having, say, even a week or two supply of food, water, and essentials in your home for emergencies? Do you truly feel that 100% reliance on the 100% smooth daily operation of our supply system is a good idea? (and no, I'm not talking about guns, I'm just talking about general preparedness). Surely you see some wisdom in preparedness?

Chris, I think its a grand idea. I think we did the ammo thing about 4-6 months ago. So, it is kind of old hat. We know what happened and why it happened.

I was reading over the lists and, especially, NV's which sounds like a check list (except for the freezing and curing meats) of what we keep handy if a hurricane comes. If you live in the Keys then you have so many hours to evacuate and if you don't leave then you forgo police, ambulances, the fire department etc., You are looking at the possibility of not having electricity for an unknown amount of time. In fact, anyone who lives on the mainland may face the same obstacles if there was another Andrew. Or Katrina.

I had a flashback. I was living in Tucson and one of my friends had this huge armoir that was literally overflowing with canned goods. That was nothing compared to what was in the garage. I asked him what gives and he got this look on his face that was encredible. He explained that his parents believed that there would be an alien invasion(Not illegal aliens, the people disappearing anal probing kind). I was the only person that did not know this. So, when we would go by his house to see if he could roam the streets then we would often encounter this group that the parents belonged to in the middle of a meeting.

However, if we say that we are preparing for a possibility of a natural disaster or the government shuts down.....we are prepared. If we say that we are awaiting the alien invasion then we are very odd creatures indeed. Yet, we maintain the same checklist and we have the same goal. We just have different visions of SHTF.

Don't you find it odd that we can have the same goal and do the same things but mentally reject others because we can't seem to wrap our brains around it?

Edited for: In fact, the group that has feared the alien invasion is probably far better off because they have been planning for this since the 1970's.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Mormons are supposed to keep a two year food supply on hand at all times; they are taught to use and rotate their goods. It used to be a one-year food supply.

I am all about preparation; food storage, bullet storage, organic recycling in the garden. No plastic in our house is used just once, but over and over again. We save our bleach bottles, don't rinse them, and fill them with water - a trick we practiced when we lived on the East Coast for hurricanes and flooding/damage of the water supply, but handy still. You just never know when a freeze, windstorm, ice storm, tornado, blizzard, hurricane, earthquake - or even losing your job - will occur. It is always wise to prepare, to "use it up, wear it out, make it do!" I make quilts from old clothes, grow my own vegies and raise my own chickens now; we just butchered a host of roosters for the freezer. Anyone who wants to cut down a tree calls us to see if we want the wood; DH will pop into my truck and go help cut them down and up. We stock up all year long for the woodstove that backs up the propane furnace (and actually does a much better job!). Anyone who has too much produce drops it off at my house; they know I can and dehydrate and freeze. Teens who hunt deer and only want the trophies drop the deer carcasses in my garage so it doesn't go to waste; we hang it, butcher it, and have deer steaks, ribs, and sausage and jerky. I share my bounty, too; right now I am overcome with pumpkins and the potatoes are about ready to be dug! DH repairs small engines for neighbors on occasion; and we trade off there, too. Folks love our whole-wheat and our oatmeal bread around here!

When you get in the habit of paying off your bills, stocking up, reserving, preserving, rotating storage, and being able to do anything with almost nothing, it becomes a way of life, not merely a panicked response. To me, THAT is "wealth" - having what one needs, or being able to make it or create it or trade it, without sole dependence on others' charity or banks or going into crippling debt. And the satisfaction of being able to do so is wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates