Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,272,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, yes it is. If there is no common and mutually understood language, how is government and law possible? How does a person who speaks only Ebonics get a fair trial or make himself understood to government agencies?
It's real easy, pay attention in school and learn proper english. Ebonics is nothing more than bastardized English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:00 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,385,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
It's real easy, pay attention in school and learn proper english. Ebonics is nothing more than bastardized English.

....well, not exactly. I used to be a police officer. To work in the black sections of town first required that we take a course on what was then called "black English." Now it is referred to as Ebonics. We were told that there were some important differences between the different dialects of English. The most important differences were 1) pronunciation and 2) the use of the verb "to be". Here is an example: I copied this out my old text book:
Quote:
A distinctive feature of Ebonics is the conjugated verb "be". This verb is often not used in Ebonics speech.

If we consider Ebonics tense and aspect, we see that Ebonics have five present tenses. All of these present tenses are different from standard English:
1. He runnin. (“He is running.”)
2. He be runnin. (“He is usually running.”)
3. He be steady runnin. (“He is usually running in an intensive, sustained manner.”)
4. He bin runnin. (“He has been running.”)
5. He bin runnin. (“He has been running for a long time and still is.”).

Ok, then, so if someone speaking "black English" says, "Where be 'da po-lice?" What is that person saying?
1) Where are the police? I need them now and it is taking a long time for them to get here????
2) How can I summon the police? Where is a phone to call them?
3) Are the police comming? Should I watch out?
4) Where is the police station?
5) I need help!!!

Surprisingly, the correct answer to the question "Where be 'da po-lice?" is number two, and someone wanting to communicate would answer, "There is a phone over there" and while pointing, say, "Is this an emergency."
It sounds like it might be English, but it is really a non-standard form of English. As a result, children raised in communities where Ebonics is the primary dialect spoken would benefit from an English as a Second Language course in the first grade.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:44 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,677,237 times
I am also getting tired of some of the small-time crooks in British movies. They often have a serious cockney accent, which forces me to use the Closed Captioning option.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,385,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I am also getting tired of some of the small-time crooks in British movies. They often have a serious cockney accent, which forces me to use the Closed Captioning option.

If I can't understand it--I don't watch it...

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,536,424 times
Quote:
Hmm...crooks in British movies with a Cockney accent? It might've been more unusual if they were crooks in American movies, yes?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,452,710 times
I think the Movie Blade runner, gave a good indication of where our language is headed. a mix of everything. Cool by me, as long as I can figure it out.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,677,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Hmm...crooks in British movies with a Cockney accent? It might've been more unusual if they were crooks in American movies, yes?
... I was just poking fun at myself and my inability to approach things from a more broad perspective. Point was that people do speak differently and we should also try to develop an ear for how others talk. In real life, not everything is always going to be by the book linguists cite. These boards are a good example where "proper" English is not required.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,452,710 times
Quote:
... I was just poking fun at myself and my inability to approach things from a more broad perspective. Point was that people do speak differently and we should also try to develop an ear for how others talk. In real life, not everything is always going to be by the book linguists cite. These boards are a good example where "proper" English is not required.
Nor in my opinon, should it be. Language should reflect the time in which is being used. What would "I-Pod" have meant 50 years ago. Language is alive.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,122,679 times
OK, so what is the impact of poor speaking skills? It won't hurt your social life (might even help it), so what's the big deal?

It's in the workplace: need someone to work with upper management, seal a big financial deal, sell a sophisticated, high-ticket product, communicate to the public, represent a unit or organization??

Well, you'll need someone who can speak clearly, correctly and effectively. At high levels (or not so high), people insist on effective communication. Supervisors can throw a well-spoken subordinate at a variety of duties, poor spoken can sit in their cubes. So who would get laid off first?

So for the unemployed: drop the slang, watch the BBC, read non-fiction, respect older folks, and practice speaking like a newscaster and not like Kayne or Brittany. Speak like you want to be understood, then you'll be on the road to usefulness.

[gosh, what an arrogant post, but I swear it is true]

Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 AM

88,302 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Nor in my opinon, should it be. Language should reflect the time in which is being used. What would "I-Pod" have meant 50 years ago. Language is alive.
Exactly, alive and constantly changing. Here's a good book written for the layperson on language.

Amazon.com: The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language (9780060520854): John Mcwhorter: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates