U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,265,028 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on what you're listening for.

I have a degree in music theory and composition, so I analyze music far differently than the average lay person. I'm looking for different things than a casual listener might be looking for. That said, most music today is nothing but recycled beats and rhythms and while there are quite a few very talented musicians out there, most of what is played on the radio is not good musically, although most people would say it is nice to hear and that's fine. It is kind of sad when I hear a song on the radio (I rarely listen to music on the radio, but every once in a while I'll tune in) and I can immediately think of 15 other songs that have the exact same drum beat, bass riff or even melody in many cases.

For me, I'm a bluegrass fan and player. There is a lot of variety in old country and I like the extremely stripped down sound, it really lets the individual instruments (including vocals) stand out. I do like a few modern top 40 bands, but most are pretty boring, and that's fine because everyone's ears hear differently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM

38,759 posts, read 39,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
Do you feel like you had more choice at an earlier time in what you listened to?

Could you list 10 to 15 musical acts to whom you admire?

When would you say that music was at its best? And how old are you?
The only time there is choice is when a new genre is emerging. Then there is choice for a little while, until the marketing powers settle on what the genre sounds like, and then nobody dares to deviate from the standard sound. This happened to rock in the 60s and country in the 70's and soft soul in the 80's and probably other things. I haven't paid much attention to music since then.

The thing that militated against choice then was the limitation on sources. You got radio, local stations, and that was it.

Personally, I'm more into world music, I like Bollywood and Tangos and Chinese love songs and Norteno. I was blown away by the Kinshasa sound I heard in Africa in the '70s, but I can't find it anywhere. As for pedestrian western acts, I admire the BeeGees, the Commodores, the Fifth Dimension, Willie Nelson. There have been some great voices like Jerry Butler and Ray Price and Karen Carpenter, and a great voice with good phrasing can overcome a lot of other faults. Oh, Paolo Conte and Juan Luis Guerra. Stan Rogers.

As for my age, let's just say I was a Top 40 DJ in the 50's.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,866,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I suppose we could carry the same argument from TV to the music industry, which produces all the fodder for your iPod. The general artistic quality of what is in your iPod has been created through the same evil and money-grubbing forces that has generated our TV lineup. A very small number of interests monopolizing the music distribution industry, dumping a few mass-produced and formulaic genres of music that can be produced at minimum cost and maximum profit, hypnotizing billions of zombies with buds in their ears.

In music, as in TV and film, people do not get what they like, they like what they get. There is no alternative and they're addicted to the wall-to-wall accessibility.
Music is an important medium for the conspiracy of getting people into a God-less eternity ; anything to keep One distanced from God thru the immoral lure of the World thru music, movies, books, illicit sex, our liberal/immoral Mass Media.... will work satisfactorily. We are kind of like Pawns in a Chess Game who get to choose what we surround ourselves with for our lifetime...with the final analysis being eternal defeat or eternal victory. And we are actually formulating the outcome with some very strong influences along the way : "What we do in this life echos in eternity' -- Maximus .

Last edited by RVlover; 09-28-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 PM

6,970 posts, read 12,630,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it depends on what you're listening for.

I have a degree in music theory and composition, so I analyze music far differently than the average lay person. I'm looking for different things than a casual listener might be looking for. That said, most music today is nothing but recycled beats and rhythms and while there are quite a few very talented musicians out there, most of what is played on the radio is not good musically, although most people would say it is nice to hear and that's fine. It is kind of sad when I hear a song on the radio (I rarely listen to music on the radio, but every once in a while I'll tune in) and I can immediately think of 15 other songs that have the exact same drum beat, bass riff or even melody in many cases.

For me, I'm a bluegrass fan and player. There is a lot of variety in old country and I like the extremely stripped down sound, it really lets the individual instruments (including vocals) stand out. I do like a few modern top 40 bands, but most are pretty boring, and that's fine because everyone's ears hear differently.

but we gotta equate music to the movie industry...its easy to be a fair weathered fan and just see what the media critics urge you to see. i still love an old issue of rolling stone top 100 from 65-90 - there was a disclaimer that said, its just their opinion abd there is so much better music out there. but search for yourself.. never let the search die

Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,686,318 times
Quote:
I suppose we could carry the same argument from TV to the music industry, which produces all the fodder for your iPod.
I would suggest that you speak only for your playlists.

Your argument is about as obsolete as the very music business that you decry. There hasn't been a more innovative time for non-conglomerate music in eons. With bands, groups, and artist of all genres being able to distribute their music in a staggeringly diverse number of ways, the ability to produce outside the box is greater today than it has ever been. Where that not the case, the major record labels wouldn't be spending as much time as they do tearing their hair out over the declining sales figures.

The Maverick: The many small superstars of the internet age - Telegraph

Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Music is an important medium for the conspiracy of getting people into a God-less eternity ; anything to keep One distanced from God thru the immoral lure of the World thru music, movies, books, illicit sex, our liberal/immoral Mass Media.... will work satisfactorily. We are kind of like Pawns in a Chess Game who get to choose what we surround ourselves with for our lifetime...with the final analysis being eternal defeat or eternal victory. And we are actually formulating the outcome with some very strong influences along the way : "What we do in this life echos in eternity' -- Maximus .
Wow...you really find a way to incorporate your 'god' into absolutely everything, don't you?

I guess I'm immoral because I play bluegrass mandolin

Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
but we gotta equate music to the movie industry...its easy to be a fair weathered fan and just see what the media critics urge you to see. i still love an old issue of rolling stone top 100 from 65-90 - there was a disclaimer that said, its just their opinion abd there is so much better music out there. but search for yourself.. never let the search die
Precisely! You should NEVER stop looking for pleasing sounds My search will never be done, and for that I am a very happy person.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 1,296,916 times
No body defines music better than those who listen to it, noise is indeed music to the ears of those who deem such noise to be enjoyable listening, whether it be coming from a violin or a chainsaw. Once we begin to leave the definition of music to the already up tight types, we lose something.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,265,143 times
Hey, who need dem i-pods?
I got my computer hooked up to my stereo for music. Programs change according to DJs.

WMBR 88.1 FM : WMBR, Cambridge

WNUR :: WNUR 89.3 FM :: WNUR Home (http://www.wnur.org/ - broken link)

College stations are great!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM

31,063 posts, read 19,339,538 times
Quote:
I suppose we could carry the same argument from TV to the music industry, which produces all the fodder for your iPod. The general artistic quality of what is in your iPod has been created through the same evil and money-grubbing forces that has generated our TV lineup. A very small number of interests monopolizing the music distribution industry, dumping a few mass-produced and formulaic genres of music that can be produced at minimum cost and maximum profit, hypnotizing billions of zombies with buds in their ears.

In music, as in TV and film, people do not get what they like, they like what they get. There is no alternative and they're addicted to the wall-to-wall accessibility.
Does this make you a racist? By some standards it does....welcome to political correctness you curmudgeon you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates