Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Does this make you a racist? By some standards it does....welcome to political correctness you curmudgeon you.
Can't mention zombies, because they're Afro-Caribbean, so that's racist? You'll have to help me out a little here, and be more specific. I've never actually seen an iPod, so maybe there's some racist connection there I don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Mainstream music has always been this way.

The "best" musicians i.e. Jazz and Classical are the least paid and least respected among the masses.

the good side is that there are tons of independent bands that (due to commercial licensing) are becoming popular.

I think, unless the record companies effectively co-op the licensing and online market, that there is more accessible good independent music out there than ever before.

Think about it. If you wanted that new Pixies record you'd have to drive to the music store, perhaps a mom and pop, and pick it up.

Now you can listen to a track and decide to buy it or not, then put it right on your ipod for easy consumption.

The demise of the record store and the deconstruction of the Album is another story however.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM

288 posts, read 851,349 times
Blip.fm, Blip.fm | Global Music Radar, lets you be your own DJ or listen to other DJ lists.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I suppose we could carry the same argument from TV to the music industry, which produces all the fodder for your iPod. The general artistic quality of what is in your iPod has been created through the same evil and money-grubbing forces that has generated our TV lineup. A very small number of interests monopolizing the music distribution industry, dumping a few mass-produced and formulaic genres of music that can be produced at minimum cost and maximum profit, hypnotizing billions of zombies with buds in their ears.

In music, as in TV and film, people do not get what they like, they like what they get. There is no alternative and they're addicted to the wall-to-wall accessibility.
Like the rest of the Mass Media, todays secular music carries with it a destructive, immoral, hedonistic, and/or narcisstic message that is repeated which eventually gets engrained into the person. Its a method of marketing a message --- a detrimental one . Its been that way for a long time...even some songs from the Frank Sinatra era have sexual immorality overtones to them. Theres plenty of things today to get a person going down the wrong road in life .... music is a useful tool to bring that to fruition. People are either unaware of it, or, they dont care . Would you agree with this estimation ?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Like the rest of the Mass Media, todays secular music carries with it a destructive, immoral, hedonistic, and/or narcisstic message that is repeated which eventually gets engrained into the person. Its a method of marketing a message --- a detrimental one . Its been that way for a long time...even some songs from the Frank Sinatra era have sexual immorality overtones to them. Theres plenty of things today to get a person going down the wrong road in life .... music is a useful tool to bring that to fruition. People are either unaware of it, or, they dont care . Would you agree with this estimation ?
You're RVlover under a new name, aren't you?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
What you hear and what you see on TV is a direct reflection on the secular society of today.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,051 times
Might be, but those are very much things of the past. Now we have the internet, P2P...

Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,635 times
Quote:
I suppose we could carry the same argument from TV to the music industry, which produces all the fodder for your iPod. The general artistic quality of what is in your iPod has been created through the same evil and money-grubbing forces that has generated our TV lineup. A very small number of interests monopolizing the music distribution industry, dumping a few mass-produced and formulaic genres of music that can be produced at minimum cost and maximum profit, hypnotizing billions of zombies with buds in their ears.

In music, as in TV and film, people do not get what they like, they like what they get. There is no alternative and they're addicted to the wall-to-wall accessibility.
It's 2009! It's the era of internet, youtube and stuff like this. Now we have millions of different musicians all over the world. Services like youtube, myspace etc. can help you to get any music you like so it's not 60s or 70s anymore. Labels don't mean much these days. So I don't think it's right to accuse labels of some guys or gals having a bad music in their iPods or computers.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
It's 2009! It's the era of internet, youtube and stuff like this. Now we have millions of different musicians all over the world. Services like youtube, myspace etc. can help you to get any music you like so it's not 60s or 70s anymore. Labels don't mean much these days. So I don't think it's right to accuse labels of some guys or gals having a bad music in their iPods or computers.
Lots of good statements within this thread, but this:

Labels don't mean much these days

...says it best.

I have not been so excited about music since I was 16--and that was a long long time ago. I find good music here, I get it from my kids, and I go to other websites of bands I enjoy, and learn of still new bands. I am hoping to join Spotify when it finally becomes available in the United States. In the meantime, there is plenty of good stuff out there.

Seek and ye shall find.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:

There is no need to go to the ipod store and download "popular". . . mine is filled with contemporary / independent singer songwriters, folk music the albums of many of my more talented singer songwriter friends, and folks like Tom Paxton, Buffy St. Marie, David Olney, Iris DeMent Kieran Means, etc. etc. . . . . actually, this is my first ipod experience, and I seem to be spending several hours each evening, downloading some of my favorite stuff. . . and buying the stuff that I only still have on vinyl. . . what a treat to hear some of those songs again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates