Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times

Advertisements

ok, if you need $100 dollars, and only 2 people are going to partake in your services, they each have to pay $50, if you have 4 people...you get the idea. The more people with insurance, the less one person has to pay, as long as there is more people that are not using the money than there are using the money and if you can have more preventative, which would be accessible if people had access (initial cost) than less people will be needing more of the really expensive care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
ok, if you need $100 dollars, and only 2 people are going to partake in your services, they each have to pay $50, if you have 4 people...you get the idea. The more people with insurance, the less one person has to pay, as long as there is more people that are not using the money than there are using the money and if you can have more preventative, which would be accessible if people had access (initial cost) than less people will be needing more of the really expensive care
Don't you think those are quite a few assumptions to make? Also, all of the doctors I have ever been to have more than enough patients already - most aren't accepting new patients because by doing so would take away more time from their current patients' time slots. As it is, it takes me almost six months to get a dermatologist appointment... unless we suddenly get a glut of talented new doctors in our system, I fail to see how your idea could even work.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
almost half of the time I live in the city of medicine and have never had to wait 6 months to see anyone, people come from all over the world to get care there, the other half I live in a small town where a lot of people probably can't afford to go to the doctor. Also, if you do wait, again, someone else is still getting treatment, a living breathing human being with a family and everything, so, you are complaining about someone else getting medical treatment in a way. If it is serious, they're going to squeeze you in before people who's conditions are not as serious

Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I asked this a few pages back, but never got a response. I'm still kind of curious though... what are people who have a pre existing condition through no fault of their own supposed to do?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I asked this a few pages back, but never got a response. I'm still kind of curious though... what are people who have a pre existing condition through no fault of their own supposed to do?
die.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
die.
Unfortunately, that's kind of the response I was expecting.
Bummer.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Unfortunately, that's kind of the response I was expecting.
Bummer.
I really don't know the answer. I'd like to know myself from the staunch supporters of the "well if you don't work hard enough and have the right job with the right insurance, s crew off" stance.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I really don't know the answer. I'd like to know myself from the staunch supporters of the "well if you don't work hard enough and have the right job with the right insurance, s crew off" stance.

.................................................. .................................................

I think it is worth pointing out that those who oppose universal care or some variation of it have refused to engage in a debate here. Instead, they make one sentence comments like "I have insurance and anyone who wants insurance can have it". This isn't debate or a dialogue. Its simply engaging in a monologue.

I said earlier in one of my comments that everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, that doesn't make all opinions equal. Seriously, if the best you can manage to do is say something like "my family and I can afford insurance, so this isn't a problem" you are a pretty sad excuse for a human being. We are talking about a nation's problems--not just your own. Those who oppose universal care should be able to make cost arguments or quality of care arguments. Yet, they seldom do. It usually just turns into a "I like things fine because I have insurance, so leave it alone". Sad, sad, sad.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I think it is worth pointing out that those who oppose universal care or some variation of it have refused to engage in a debate here. Instead, they make one sentence comments like "I have insurance and anyone who wants insurance can have it". This isn't debate or a dialogue. Its simply engaging in a monologue.

I said earlier in one of my comments that everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, that doesn't make all opinions equal. Seriously, if the best you can manage to do is say something like "my family and I can afford insurance, so this isn't a problem" you are a pretty sad excuse for a human being. We are talking about a nation's problems--not just your own. Those who oppose universal care should be able to make cost arguments or quality of care arguments. Yet, they seldom do. It usually just turns into a "I like things fine because I have insurance, so leave it alone". Sad, sad, sad.
Actually, since I am leaning towards opposition, I have yet to hear here from anyone how much it will cost - as I asked last week, see above. Who is paying for it? How will it be paid for?

I grew up in a ghetto in the Bronx, had no handouts, used loans and earned academic scholarships to get through college, and now have insurance through my job. It still costs me a pretty penny, and will only go up - as I stated above, nothing is free. However, considering that I do have an employer that subsidizes my health care, in exchange for my work, and I STILL have to pay quite a bit of money every month... for those that are here saying they work at jobs that allow them to watch TV and sleep, who say they couldn't possibly afford even a mere $100 a month but want "excellent health care" (which, I doubt I even have and I pay quite a bit more than that)... HOW do you propose we pay for it? What should a middle class person be paying for EVERYONE to have excellent health care - especially considering that most of us that do pay through the nose do not have even that?

And to the previous poster who quoted me... I grew up in NYC, and I went to doctors there, quite recently even (I still see my dentist there, because I think he is great). Sorry, but dermatologists have a LONG waiting line... maybe less people are getting Botox these days, but regardless you need to wait in line. Might be a good topic for a different debate.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 AM

I just don't understand the logic that it's ok to let people with pre-existing conditions or terminal illnesses either not have health care, go bankrupt, or simply die because they can't get the care they need.

I'll never understand it. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates