Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times

Advertisements

Now I think it is a GREAT idea.

Seriously.

Now I don't have to worry about what my smoking does to me. You are all going to pay for my emphysema, lung, mouth, and throat cancer surgeries, chemo, and all the cures that the government approves. Thanks so much!

My alcoholism? Hey, no problem. You can all pay for my repetitive treatments at Betty Ford or any other clinic. After all, I'm one of those "poor people without insurance" everyone is always pontificating about. Now I can do whatever I want, get as drunk as often as I want - and no matter whom I smash into, I'm covered! My liver is going? Well, it's not MY fault I'm addicted, now is it? Ya'll have all said so! I need a new liver, and I deserve it as much as anyone else who has never had a drink.

Oh, I'm overweight, too. But hey, who cares? That's your problem now. High cholesterol? Heart problems? Breathing problems? Even Acid reflux? There's a pill for everything, and I'll need 'em all. Pass the pizza and the beer, and don't stint on the german chocolate cake! Diabetes? Who cares? You're going to pay for those pills, and then the bottles of insulin as I need them. So what if I lose my eyesight, or end up in a wheelchair with my legs cut off? That's now your problem.

I forgot to mention that I am also very fond of drugs. I need drugs to sleep, and drugs to get up and do things, like run to the store for more pizza. I am quite fond of self-medicating, with all of the emotional angst I am suffering. Coke is great for getting up out of the sleepy doldrums of the Quaaludes I took last night. Liver damage? Meth teeth? Skin diseases? It's none of YOUR business what caused all that - fork over your cash and make sure that I'm taken care of. Stop whining! You can't tell me how to live my life! How dare you criticize ME - you are infringing my rights if you do, or if you think I don't deserve the same health care as poor, hardworking you or your children!

Yes, I am completely down with this whole free health care thing now. Thanks in advance for all of your contributions to my lifestyle! This is gonna be AWESOME!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I've changed my mind, too, I think I'd rather just let you die, after your family has sold their homes in order to pay your rising premiums, copays and preexisting conditions. Your family loses both you and their house. How can you beat a deal like that? Isn't that what America is all about? To hell with you, I'm watching out for myself. No, wait---I'm still broke. I guess I'm watching out for the insurance companies.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Now I think it is a GREAT idea.

Seriously.

Now I don't have to worry about what my smoking does to me. You are all going to pay for my emphysema, lung, mouth, and throat cancer surgeries, chemo, and all the cures that the government approves. Thanks so much!

My alcoholism? Hey, no problem. You can all pay for my repetitive treatments at Betty Ford or any other clinic. After all, I'm one of those "poor people without insurance" everyone is always pontificating about. Now I can do whatever I want, get as drunk as often as I want - and no matter whom I smash into, I'm covered! My liver is going? Well, it's not MY fault I'm addicted, now is it? Ya'll have all said so! I need a new liver, and I deserve it as much as anyone else who has never had a drink.

Oh, I'm overweight, too. But hey, who cares? That's your problem now. High cholesterol? Heart problems? Breathing problems? Even Acid reflux? There's a pill for everything, and I'll need 'em all. Pass the pizza and the beer, and don't stint on the german chocolate cake! Diabetes? Who cares? You're going to pay for those pills, and then the bottles of insulin as I need them. So what if I lose my eyesight, or end up in a wheelchair with my legs cut off? That's now your problem.

I forgot to mention that I am also very fond of drugs. I need drugs to sleep, and drugs to get up and do things, like run to the store for more pizza. I am quite fond of self-medicating, with all of the emotional angst I am suffering. Coke is great for getting up out of the sleepy doldrums of the Quaaludes I took last night. Liver damage? Meth teeth? Skin diseases? It's none of YOUR business what caused all that - fork over your cash and make sure that I'm taken care of. Stop whining! You can't tell me how to live my life! How dare you criticize ME - you are infringing my rights if you do, or if you think I don't deserve the same health care as poor, hardworking you or your children!

Yes, I am completely down with this whole free health care thing now. Thanks in advance for all of your contributions to my lifestyle! This is gonna be AWESOME!

.................................................. ...........................................

Granny,

Got news for you. If you are older than 65, we are paying for all this already. Its called Medicare. Not 65? If you're poor, broke and can't find a job we are paying for all this already too. Its called Medicaid. Work for a big company or a small one with health insurance? Guess what? All the people who contribute to your health insurance are probably paying for your problems as well. This idea that somehow all these people with the problems you describe above will somehow not get their health care paid for if we don't enact health insurance reform is just silly. Its being paid for right now by either public or private insurance.

I really get a laugh when I see old people saying crap like "I don't want the government in my health care". Its there already. Medicare is the primary payor for the elderly and the sole payor for many of them. Oh, and some other facts: Medicare has the lowest administration cost of any insurance plan out there. Medicare is the least susceptible to inflation of any health care plan.

The moral of the story? The government or the public is already involved in everyone's healthcare. It would make alot more sense to acknowledge this fact and realize all the economies we can from it.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:17 PM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
We live in a capitalist country but some people fail to realize that many aspects of our society are socialized. The post office, local police and fire departments, the public school system, Social Security, the library. The reality is that some things should not be profited from; in certain aspects people should be on an equal playing field. There is nothing "evil" or "communist" about that. Healthcare should be equal and applied to everyone across the board, from the President to a janitor. Everyone in this country should have the right to excellent and free medical care. Obama's plan does not exactly do that but it is a step in the right direction. Profit margins, stockholders, CEO's and board of directors are words that have no business being involved with healthcare. Providing quality healthcare for every single American regardless of their job (or lack thereof) should be an ideal that we as a country should achieve; it's the empathetic and humane thing to do. Some things SHOULD be socialized, even in the most capitalist of countries: the USA.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 PM

332 posts, read 772,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Now I don't have to worry about what my smoking does to me.

My alcoholism? Hey, no problem.

Oh, I'm overweight, too. But hey, who cares?
Are nicotine addicts, alcoholics, and overeaters really thinking about medical costs when deciding whether or not to indulge? I doubt it. Addicts will feed their addiction whether or not they have health insurance.

Similarly, folks aren't suddenly going to decide to indulge because they acquire health insurance. The average nonsmoker doesn't abstain from cigarettes because he's worried about the *cost* of treating lung cancer; he doesn't want lung cancer in the first place.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Actually, I am NOT on Medicare - not old enough - and not eligible for Medicaid (I WISH it was because I made too much money!). I have lupus, and I pay for all of my own medical care - cash - and because I do, the doctors don't have to jump through hoops and write numerous ICD9 codes to justify payment. I go, I get treated, I pay them, that's it. It is FAR cheaper than insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid - plus, I'm not sponging off of anyone else.

And yes, jtur88, you SHOULD let me die - because if I am abusing the future medical care in the exact same way I have seen Medicare and Medicaid patients do, making everyone pay for their own indulgences, there will eventually reach a point where the system will collapse of its own weight. No, addicts and alcoholics and other self-indulgers don't think about whose paying for their medical costs - because the ones I've treated are already on Medicaid or Medicare, (since Social Security considers addiction to be a disability) and DEMAND to be treated in just such a manner as I have described above.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Actually, I am NOT on Medicare - not old enough - and not eligible for Medicaid (I WISH it was because I made too much money!). I have lupus, and I pay for all of my own medical care - cash - and because I do, the doctors don't have to jump through hoops and write numerous ICD9 codes to justify payment. I go, I get treated, I pay them, that's it. It is FAR cheaper than insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid - plus, I'm not sponging off of anyone else.

And yes, jtur88, you SHOULD let me die - because if I am abusing the future medical care in the exact same way I have seen Medicare and Medicaid patients do, making everyone pay for their own indulgences, there will eventually reach a point where the system will collapse of its own weight. No, addicts and alcoholics and other self-indulgers don't think about whose paying for their medical costs - because the ones I've treated are already on Medicaid or Medicare, (since Social Security considers addiction to be a disability) and DEMAND to be treated in just such a manner as I have described above.
Your posts make absolutely no sense. First you are saying you are for Obama's plan, now you say you are against it. Don't you realize it would greatly benefit you since you have no insurance, and are paying out of pocket already? I personally approve of Obama's plan.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
We live in a capitalist country but some people fail to realize that many aspects of our society are socialized. The post office, local police and fire departments, the public school system, Social Security, the library. The reality is that some things should not be profited from; in certain aspects people should be on an equal playing field. There is nothing "evil" or "communist" about that. Healthcare should be equal and applied to everyone across the board, from the President to a janitor. Everyone in this country should have the right to excellent and free medical care. Obama's plan does not exactly do that but it is a step in the right direction. Profit margins, stockholders, CEO's and board of directors are words that have no business being involved with healthcare. Providing quality healthcare for every single American regardless of their job (or lack thereof) should be an ideal that we as a country should achieve; it's the empathetic and humane thing to do. Some things SHOULD be socialized, even in the most capitalist of countries: the USA.

I could not have said it better myself. I work full time, but my company does not provide any benefits, including insurance. I can not afford private health insurance, so I do without any health care. We could really learn something from our neighbors above (Canada).

Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
No, she is an ex-EMT AND and an ex-politician. It is not my job to agree with her and many times I don't. However, she isn't stupid and she is coming from a different prespective. It is worth hearing out, even if you do not agree with her at the end.

Keep that in mind and she is not confusing at all. Unless of course, you choose the route of ignorance.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, she is an ex-EMT AND and an ex-politician. It is not my job to agree with her and many times I don't. However, she isn't stupid and she is coming from a different prespective. It is worth hearing out, even if you do not agree with her at the end.

Keep that in mind and she is not confusing at all. Unless of course, you choose the route of ignorance.
I do not think she is stupid. I just thought differently about what she wrote. I am an alcoholic myself, so I do not see writing that you smoke, drink, and are overweight to be taken as sarcastic. If she truly is all those things, she would benefit greatly from the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates