U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,640,684 times

Advertisements

'....and I believe what we are doing is right. I am going to give everything I have to my future wife and I know I can expect the same from her.
'

REPLY: I wish you a lifetime of happiness and growth together. Im curious to know if you both went thru a formal pre-marital Course or Counselling to establish the probability of a successful marriage and to prepare yourselves for the many challenges that you will face being married ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I disagree with you in the sports forum constantly, but I think you are usually pretty on in this forum

I really hate one-size fits all type of thinking. I am getting married next year and reading some of the responses scare me, but then I remember, I can only be myself, and I believe what we are doing is right. I am going to give everything I have to my future wife and I know I can expect the same from her.
The one common theme you'll find with all these anti-marriage haters is that they either failed in marriage themselves, or their parents were divorced. They're blinded by their own hatred, and using marriage as a scape-goat.

But don't let them deter you. If you and your fiancé love each other, and are willing to intentionally make your marriage work, you'll do great. You'll be multiplied times happier, more fulfilled, and more at peace than all these nasty haters who rant against marriage.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,153,143 times
Marriage is not dead. How stupid a statement. If it were, than no one would be married or get married.

Been married 18 years and my DH and I have 2 toddlers.

I would never bring children into a world of uncertainty. Children need a stable loving environment. Best to get that all worked out before you have children. Took us 14 years (we got married young, 21 and 18) to feel mature, committed and selfless enough to have children.

You do whatever you want for however long you want to. BUT please do not subject children to a non-binding agreement that dismisses committment at a whim. Parents must be committed to providing the most loving environment possible together.

There is so much junk out there and forces pulling couples apart, you have got to be a solid foundation for children.

Otherwise you end up alone struggling to make it work for the kids. Some do an awesome job, others get by, others fail miserably. Why risk it?

<a href="http://social.jrank.org/pages/580/Single-Parent-Families-Well-Being-Children-Raised-in-Single-Parent-Homes.html">Single-Parent Families - The Well-being Of Children Raised In Single-parent Homes</a>

The Effects of Divorce on Children : Parenting 24/7 | University of Illinois Extension

Academic Success Begins at Home: How Children Can Succeed in School
Academic Success Begins at Home: How Children Can Succeed in School

The Sutherland Institute (http://www.sutherlandinstitute.org/fdbresults.asp?cID=7 - broken link)

Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Correct. Im not the Standard ; theres Someone beyond Mankind that is. How come you dont feel obliged to live according to the hard work and sound moral teaching your Parents gave you , and, what is the benefit to you by subscribing to a 'whatever' popular Culture when you said you believe in absolute morals ? Thank you.
How do you know that my father did not die in prison? (Most people who die in prison are devout God-fearing Christians, raised with exactly the same moral teachings that you advocate, by the way.) If you had any sense whatsoever of who I am (readily discernible by reading my posts in many forums), you would find there is almost nobody in C-D that further distances himself from "popular culture" than I do.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,196,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
REPLY: I wish you a lifetime of happiness and growth together. Im curious to know if you both went thru a formal pre-marital Course or Counselling to establish the probability of a successful marriage and to prepare yourselves for the many challenges that you will face being married ?
Well we are...Catholic

I know thats a four letter word around these parts. Anyways we have to take the classes through the Church and they go into "what makes a successful marriage." I like to think we have the odds in our favor also both having parents that are still together and having 7 grandparents, 3 sets who are married, and the 7th was widowed in 2005. Obviously their success means little to us, but it may help...But the most important part is our level of commitment to each other.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,749,769 times
Marriage is not dead. People will always marry. The end...

Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM

635 posts, read 660,460 times
Memphis, you didn't have to come here for confirmation of your illogical theory that marriage is dead. Just tell whoever your girlfriend is to stop pressuring you to enter another phase of life that you don't believe is beneficial to yourself, family and society as a whole.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Memphis, you didn't have to come here for confirmation of your illogical theory that marriage is dead. Just tell whoever your girlfriend is to stop pressuring you to enter another phase of life that you don't believe is beneficial to yourself, family and society as a whole.
Glad you know so much about me.

Seriously, I've got no problem with marriage. But people are trending to a more natural state, which is why so many marriages are failing.

My goal is to get religious people and the "moral majority" to get off their moral high horse.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Glad you know so much about me.

Seriously, I've got no problem with marriage. But people are trending to a more natural state, which is why so many marriages are failing.

My goal is to get religious people and the "moral majority" to get off their moral high horse.
So in other words, you've posted the OP with a completely dishonest and hypocritical motive.

This whole thread isn't about marriage. It's about your hatred of religion - especially Christianity.

Big surprise.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But people are trending to a more natural state
Natural state? Should we just go ahead and move back into caves and wear beaver pelts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates