U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,410,356 times

Advertisements

So I have a theory.

Men and women were never meant to live together longer than 5 or 6 years at a time.

Ancient men and women usually lived seperate lives, away from one another, for long periods of time. You may pick a mate for life, but we actually weren't meant to stay together. Usually the man would stick closer to home until the child reached an age of 6 or 7, which helps to explain the "7 year itch" that many people feel today.

Women are the same way, they don't want us around forever. Every woman I know is usually feed up with their husbands after 5 or 6 years.

Here is an interesting article,

Men And Women Weren't Meant To Live Together :: Loved Up :: Here Is The City Life :: The Online Lifestyle Portal For London - Books, Music, Films, Charity, Shopping, Cinema, Kids, Holidays, Food & Drink

Despite appearances to the contrary (fostered by anthropocentric nursery stories), a distinct role for male parents does not exist in nature. Fatherhood was invented by humans during the agricultural revolution about six thousand years ago. Symbolized by the new god-king, it incorporated the mother's originally superior role in primate families—the control or ownership of children. The male deity could even make his own offspring without female help. This inflated political figure was designed to compensate for the male's modest role in procreation, once the facts of life were known. Patriarchy was born out of an envious attack on mothers.

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

Parenting for primates - Google Books

Also,

While human fathers obviously have more to do with their children than other primate fathers, that is because we are such a social species. We aren't supposed to be there all the time. A father was meant to be more of a friend than a parent. We are there to play, to protect, and to provide. We aren't meant to care for children, its simply not part of our natural nature.

I'm sure you have some examples of great caring fathers, who stayed at home while the mom worked, but again, this is not the natural way of things. This is a choice, that two people made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM

10,553 posts, read 10,073,808 times
Okay tell me then, what the hell good are men? Sperm donors? Modern technology has overcome that need. So I guess that leaves them about as useful as t**s on a boar.

Should we just go ahead and terminate all males at birth? After all, they are only meant to wander the earth aimlessly and hop from bed to bed without any sort of responsibility. And is there any real need for that?

Now, don't get me wrong, if all you want to be is a stud, that's fine. But not all of us want that role.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,521,426 times
I love how it's okay to be sexist against males, double standards FTW.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM

10,553 posts, read 10,073,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love how it's okay to be sexist against males, double standards FTW.
Of course it's okay. The premise here is that they are worthless.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,066,416 times
OP - I hope you never have kids...ideas like this have no place in civilized society.

My grandparents were married for 56 years before my grandfather passed away, my parents have been married for 26 years. I think I will use them as an example instead of some bitter woman who goes man-bashing online...

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,648,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So I have a theory.

Men and women were never meant to live together longer than 5 or 6 years at a time....
I just checked with what the Creator says on the subject since he instituted Marriage , and, he doesnt agree with you . I dont wish to be condescending toward you...BUT.... I feel fairly certain that God knows a bit better than you do (or I) .

Perhaps if married folks would stop be titilized by the Mass Media that grass is greener on the other side via consentual adultery, occassional fornication outside of marriage, spouses desiring their 'freedom' and independence , no-fault divorce as cheap as $99 , feeling a bit bored in your marriage so consider an open-marriage, and other personally destructive insane philosophies.... their marriages would stand a much better chance of surviving and be fulfilling ones (?) . A step in the right direction for EVERYONE considering marriage whether it be the first, second, or third time around...would be an intensive formal PRE-marital Course with a concluding Test which determines the level of marital success for the particular couple ; at least theyd be going into it with objective information instead of emmulating Hollywoods version of marriage which is : kicking-the-tires ,seeing how compatible the genitals are beforehand....and based on that saying "I do" so long as I feel happy and not bored afterward.

Last edited by RVlover; 09-28-2009 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: added

Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM

914 posts, read 1,541,758 times
I've said this before and i'll say it again; I personally, don't think I can be married, but I adore anyone who does. It's in my personality to be ever-changing and I just don't think someone could change with me (if that makes sense). However long term relationships, co-habitation is ideally for me. No knock on marriages in general. With the assumption of divorce, a breakup just seems less complicated.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,438,310 times
Men who grow up without fathers have a hole in their soul as big as he is that never heals.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,648,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I've said this before and i'll say it again; I personally, don't think I can be married, but I adore anyone who does. It's in my personality to be ever-changing and I just don't think someone could change with me (if that makes sense). However long term relationships, co-habitation is ideally for me. No knock on marriages in general. With the assumption of divorce, a breakup just seems less complicated.
You are free to choose whatever you want, but, Cohabitating doesnt offer you any protection especially if youre a female . Theres a long list of reasons why Cohabitating is not a good idea....just so long as you have really deeply considered them.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 AM

10,897 posts, read 41,364,568 times
OP ... sounds like a false premise to me.

A "marriage" is more than just a provider and a sperm donor living with a female from time to time.

Of the good marriages I know, all have a loving couple that are also best friends, confidents, and supportive of each other. There's a lot more to being a committed spouse there than the superficial requirements of a relationship ....

Of course, if all you see of value in a marriage is the superficialities, then you've got a paradigm of failure in the making. And it's always just the man's fault, isn't it, when it isn't worth the effort to continue the marriage after 5-6 years ... or however long it takes for the bloom to come off the rose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates