Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,455 times

Advertisements

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!
War is NO place for a Man
It is certainly NO place for a Woman!

I'm all for equal rights in the work place
I think Women can do most jobs as well
as a Man, if anything they probably do most jobs better

But I do not think they belong in a War Zone
Look I would like to believe that most countries
would uphold basic human rights during War time
But sadly this is not true (Torture today is still common practice)
What about the Battle of Mogadishu (To most people 'Black Hawk Down')
Would you send women behind enemy lines in that conflict
You know they would have been continually ganged raped!
If we have another Vietnam (National Conscription)
Would you want your 18 year old daughter called up
barely years after she put down the Barbie dolls ?

Look I know I'm going against everybody's opinion here
But I think its not as simple as whether you think women are physically able
Do I think women would make great Fighter Pilots and Submarine Captains.......Yes!
Should they be anywhere near enemy lines.....No!
Is it unfair to discriminate against Women!....Yes. But life sometimes is just plain unfair
Just my 2 cents......Hairy

Last edited by HairyandScary; 09-29-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The Military as we know it in the USA has no moral or legitimate reason to exist in the first place. It is shaped now to perform only one function---to use threatened or actual death and destruction to force the entire planet into compliance with the profit-driven objectives of the wealthy corporate class. (Stated as "To defend America's interests".) That principle is so dominant and overriding, that there are no "rules" except to win. If that means throwing women and children into the jaws of death, so it must be.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The only issue for women on subs is privacy. Submarines, especially attack submarines, have little or no privacy for enlisted personnel. There's a big berthing compartment and a gymnasium style "bathroom." Women probably can accomplish about 90% of the jobs on a sub. Only a couple of jobs require much physical strength.
While they may be able to do most day to day jobs on a sub, what happens if they are under attack?

I know, I know, its highly unlikely this will happen, but it could happen. Everyone on a sub has to be able to do EVERY job, no excepetions. Women can't do the highly physical work, so they shouldn't be on a sub.

Aircraft carrier, sure, cruiser, sure, but not a sub.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While they may be able to do most day to day jobs on a sub, what happens if they are under attack?

I know, I know, its highly unlikely this will happen, but it could happen. Everyone on a sub has to be able to do EVERY job, no excepetions. Women can't do the highly physical work, so they shouldn't be on a sub.

I wonder what the comparative sexual abuse/rape percentages are for women on Subs vs. Ships ? My guess would be that Subs would be higher (possibly) due to the close quarters and lack of privacy. By the way, is there a LockUp on a Military Sub for crimes committed while at sea ...or does the Perpetrator get dropped off at the next U.S. Land Base wherever that may be ????

Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:

I know, I know, its highly unlikely this will happen, but it could happen. Everyone on a sub has to be able to do EVERY job, no excepetions.
What you "know" and what is true is light years different. There is a reasonable amount of cross training on a sub, but to think the cooks could operate the reactor is really silly comic book stuff. You're making stuff up that you haven't the slightest clue about.

Quote:
Women can't do the highly physical work, so they shouldn't be on a sub.

There very little "highly physical works" on a modern submarine. Women could easily handle at least 90%+ of it. It's really just an issue of berthing.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
What you "know" and what is true is light years different. There is a reasonable amount of cross training on a sub, but to think the cooks could operate the reactor is really silly comic book stuff. You're making stuff up that you haven't the slightest clue about.

There very little "highly physical works" on a modern submarine. Women could easily handle at least 90%+ of it. It's really just an issue of berthing.
I'm not talking about the reactor. I'm talking about sealing leaks, in the case of an attack or a collision.

Everyone on the ship has to learn to do that, and MOST women won't be able to do that.

If they can meet the exact same physical standards as the men on board then I see nothing wrong with them on the ship.

However, I'm sure some politician will find a way to give them a upper hand during the physical exams, so more women can get on board. Thats my problem. I have no problem with the tight quaters, I have no problem with any of the "will she feel comfortable" stuff.

However, if my son is on a sub, and a woman is on board with him, I want to know damned well sure that she can pull her weight, the same as any man.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the reactor. I'm talking about sealing leaks, in the case of an attack or a collision.

Everyone on the ship has to learn to do that, and MOST women won't be able to do that.

If they can meet the exact same physical standards as the men on board then I see nothing wrong with them on the ship.

However, I'm sure some politician will find a way to give them a upper hand during the physical exams, so more women can get on board. Thats my problem. I have no problem with the tight quaters, I have no problem with any of the "will she feel comfortable" stuff.

However, if my son is on a sub, and a woman is on board with him, I want to know damned well sure that she can pull her weight, the same as any man.
You don't fix a leak on a sub like you see in the movies. You shut valves to isolate the leak. And you don't need to worry about your son. The people who wear dolphins on their uniforms have been judged qualified by the sailors on their sub. It's a matter of brains, not brawn on a submarine.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You don't fix a leak on a sub like you see in the movies. You shut valves to isolate the leak. And you don't need to worry about your son. The people who wear dolphins on their uniforms have been judged qualified by the sailors on their sub. It's a matter of brains, not brawn on a submarine.
I stand by my original statement, as long as they can meet the same physical requirements as the men I have no problem with it.

The exact same physical standards, not a watered down version because they are girls.

Most of the responses I've been reading on line from submariners say the same thing. If the girls can cut the mustard, let them in, if they can't, don't let them

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I stand by my original statement, as long as they can meet the same physical requirements as the men I have no problem with it.

The exact same physical standards, not a watered down version because they are girls.

Most of the responses I've been reading on line from submariners say the same thing. If the girls can cut the mustard, let them in, if they can't, don't let them
Give me a woman with brains over some muscle bound male who thinks physical strength will get you through any day. The is no physical test for submarine duty. You do have to demonstrate the ability to make a free ascent from 50-60 feet underwater, but even that's stupid.

Most of the physical fitness tests for the Navy have little to do with job performance. SEALs, jet jockeys, and a couple other groups in the Navy need to be in top shape, but by and large how fast you can run a mile doesn't mean squat.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I greatly admire women who want to serve their country in the armed forces ...so long as they have the ability to do war as a man does . Based on the way each gender was created, theres some big differences. Theres this one gal at church...shes maybe 24 years old....she was over in Iraq and fell off of the roof of a Humvee and broke her leg badly . Shes on leave now . This gal is a VERY attractive blonde haired shapely gal that could easily win trophies at Beauty Pagents ; her looks are stunning . I cant help but feel she would be quite a distraction for fellow Male soldiers on the ground....and in a Submarine , I dont think much productive work would get done. Using modern vernacular : Shes 'overly Hot' ... so much so that its going to cause some problems.
Is this the same RVlover who's always spouting God and Morality to everyone? Isn't it, uh, a little sacrilegious and 'wrong' of you to be blatantly checking out this woman in God's home, church?

Just because you can't control yourself around a 'hot' woman don't think all men can't. Many soldiers see each other as...soldiers, men and women alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates