U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Reputation: 35881

Advertisements

There are quite a lot of civilian jobs that are done by women, but in order to qualify, they need to demonstrate that they have the physical (as well as the intellectual and psychological) capability to do it. UPS driver comes to mind as an example. I knew a woman who was hired by UPS, and she said at first it was really tough, but she gutted it out, built up her strength, and made it.

 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,491,476 times
Reputation: 7265
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Military may lift ban on women in submarines - Yahoo! News--

Now the Pentagon wants to the lift the ban on women serving on submarines. What do y'all think about women serving in combat roles in the military?

I wouldn't have a problem with it.....if the physical standards are equalized. To me, giving women much lower PT requirements results in less qualifications for the same job. There should be one set of PT requirements, I simply do not understand how a man can fail and be deemed unfit for the job....yet a woman can score lower and be deemed fit for the job. It's the same job, right? Same tasks, same duties....

If women are to be allowed in all the roles in the military, then the PT standards should be equalized to the standards the job requires.

Equality also means equal qualifications.
When we passed the equal rights laws we answered the question and have just not lived by it. The right to be on a sub should be equal for both sexes. The requirements should also be the same. If it requires a person who can swim five miles, lift 250 pounds, and spend long periodís captive under the water than it should be the same for both not half for one and all for the other. Same is true if we reenact the draft. Men and women should be included next time, and we should be registering both sexes with the Selective Service now to meet the letter of the law.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,642,708 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Is this the same RVlover who's always spouting God and Morality to everyone? Isn't it, uh, a little sacrilegious and 'wrong' of you to be blatantly checking out this woman in God's home, church?

Just because you can't control yourself around a 'hot' woman don't think all men can't. Many soldiers see each other as...soldiers, men and women alike.
Yes it is RVlover here, and I do remind people there is a loving Creator ...so they dont forget on purpose. It isnt wrong at all to notice a nice looking Member of the opposite sex since that is how God wired Men in particular ; it is only wrong if a Man lusts after a Woman .

I assure you I can control myself around very nice looking Women ; however 20 year old Men who buy into our sexual illicit Culture and its philosophies seldom can when working very closely with a way above average looking Female.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,090,205 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Yes it is RVlover here, and I do remind people there is a loving Creator ...so they dont forget on purpose. It isnt wrong at all to notice a nice looking Member of the opposite sex since that is how God wired Men in particular ; it is only wrong if a Man lusts after a Woman .

I assure you I can control myself around very nice looking Women ; however 20 year old Men who buy into our sexual illicit Culture and its philosophies seldom can when working very closely with a way above average looking Female.
These are the people we need to purge from the military, not the women. The military is about discipline and men who have poor impulse control don't make good sailors.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 04:58 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,642,708 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
These are the people we need to purge from the military, not the women. The military is about discipline and men who have poor impulse control don't make good sailors.
There would only be 'a few good men' left if you did that im afraid. The typical 20 year old Man is a sexually-illicit/sexually- heightened product of our U.S. Culture....regardless of what capacity he serves in whether he is employed by the U.S. Armed Forces or working in Dunkin' Donuts. Theres a good reason why 1 in 4 women will be sexually abused sometime during their lifetime (accurate statistic) .
 
Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,090,205 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
There would only be 'a few good men' left if you did that im afraid. The typical 20 year old Man is a sexually-illicit/sexually- heightened product of our U.S. Culture....regardless of what capacity he serves in whether he is employed by the U.S. Armed Forces or working in Dunkin' Donuts. Theres a good reason why 1 in 4 women will be sexually abused sometime during their lifetime (accurate statistic) .
Those that get into the military casue most of the problems. There is another accurate statistic -- 20% of the sailors cause 80% of the problems.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Warwick, RI
2,546 posts, read 3,861,802 times
Reputation: 4038
I served in the Army in the 90s, and I served with several women in my units, and every one of them was 100% competent to hold any rank or MOS in the company, regardless of what their PT score requirements were. I would have jumped in the same foxhole and fought with any of them.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,327,161 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I served in the Army in the 90s, and I served with several women in my units, and every one of them was 100% competent to hold any rank or MOS in the company, regardless of what their PT score requirements were. I would have jumped in the same foxhole and fought with any of them.
How big of a guy are you? 200lbs? 220?

How many women do you know that can sling you up on their shoulders, and carry you out of a fire fight if you're injured?
 
Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,082,292 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How big of a guy are you? 200lbs? 220?

How many women do you know that can sling you up on their shoulders, and carry you out of a fire fight if you're injured?
I don't know many men who can "sling" a 200lbs man over their shoulder.
 
Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
Reputation: 17979
Those that can complete the required physical course.the other like men that can't ;no.The military is no place for polircal correctness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top