Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let's just let the Army and other branches decide this one. We know women are very capable of many duties in the military; ones in which brains are more important than brawn. When physical strength is necessary, women can't possibly keep up. It's just biology.
Pretty much agree. Women are 20% smaller on average, but the weapons, packs, etc don't discriminate. If they can't hack it then they shouldn't be there. It's that simple. Unfortunately what I saw happening was they lowered standards so more women could be included and then men end up picking up what they can't both physically in workload and figuratively in duty hours. Women were cutting out of the shop for all sorts of stuff that guys would never get away with.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If women can meet the exact same physical standards as men are required to meet, then I have no problem with them serving on the front line. That would also mean they'd all have to use the same head, the same sleeping facilities, the same everything. But hey, equal rights mean equal everything, right?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There are guys that don't think women belong any where, but the home. All well, so sad for them.
Well, consider the fact that for at least once a month, you're a liability.

Also, that the average woman is not as strong as the average man--or as smart, for that matter.

And finally--men can't get pregnant. Women can. Pregnant women are ALSO a liability to a military force because you can't do your job, and it's really difficult to replace you if we needed to.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have not served. I have no idea if they practice taking a crap in a hole in the ground. And I have no idea if beds and pillows are kept in a fox hole let alone unisex bathrooms. You tell me.
Frontline training, yeah, you practice everything that you would practice normally. You are stripped of individuality during even basic training, and your sense of "humiliation" is greatly changed. I would have never thought about doing some of the things I've had to do in front of other people, but the "ick" factor went right out the window with field training.

Now, if you're going to be an analyst, or work flight line thousands of miles away from combat situation, then you still have to have some level of training, and the loss of "self", but not as much as many other guys have to go through.

If a woman can bunk, crap, ****, and eat with the men, and are on BC to the point where they don't bleed once a month, then I have no complaints about them being on the front line with the men. That also means no special boxes, or special standards of training.

Thats what Israeli women do in their training, and they are allowed front line roles.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Frontline training, yeah, you practice everything that you would practice normally. You are stripped of individuality during even basic training, and your sense of "humiliation" is greatly changed. I would have never thought about doing some of the things I've had to do in front of other people, but the "ick" factor went right out the window with field training.

Now, if you're going to be an analyst, or work flight line thousands of miles away from combat situation, then you still have to have some level of training, and the loss of "self", but not as much as many other guys have to go through.

If a woman can bunk, crap, ****, and eat with the men, and are on BC to the point where they don't bleed once a month, then I have no complaints about them being on the front line with the men. That also means no special boxes, or special standards of training.

Thats what Israeli women do in their training, and they are allowed front line roles.
To me, it makes sense to have what ever training mimic the realities as close as possible. If that has folk doing front line training that includes living in holes, or whatever similar possibilities, then that's reasonable. Although, I don't know if it's physiologically possible for most women to take from line roles. Physiology is what it is and to the best of my knowledge, women are not in front line combat. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. If that's the case, I fail to see the merit of unisex bathroom arguments.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
To me, it makes sense to have what ever training mimic the realities as close as possible. If that has folk doing front line training that includes living in holes, or whatever similar possibilities, then that's reasonable. Although, I don't know if it's physiologically possible for most women to take from line roles. Physiology is what it is and to the best of my knowledge, women are not in front line combat. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. If that's the case, I fail to see the merit of unisex bathroom arguments.
They aren't allowed in front line roles at this time, per say. However, they are close enough to combat to be taken prisoner, which to me is close enough to the front line to be considered front line.

Some countries do allow them on traditional front line roles, such as Israel.

Many feminist groups are fighting for that ability in the states.

What I'm saying, is that if they are going to be in those front line roles, then they should have to live and do everything just like a man, no exceptions.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They aren't allowed in front line roles at this time, per say.
Currently in Afganistan, Woman, serving with the Military Police, are on the "front" lines providing additional security details for various groups including medical teams providing medical care to the local population. While not with "combat" units, they do get shot at and return fire. They do get wounded. They do get killed.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Another question to raise here--why are women struggling to make it through military academies such as the Citadel and VMI?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Another question to raise here--why are women struggling to make it through military academies such as the Citadel and VMI?
Dunno, since a recent valedictorian from the Naval Academy was a woman.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you have the proper training and reliable weapons a woman's size is irrelevant to her ability to kill the enemy. The rest is just grunt work.

ENDURANCE !

There is a reason they give the marathon results for men and women seperately.

There is a reason the mile and 2 mile runners in track meets have seperate listings of finishers for men and women.

---irrelevant--?
I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates