Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

What's funny is seeing a crotchety 65 year old man trying to flirt with an attractive young girl 30 yrs younger than him....I don't think women do this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Lets not kid ourselfs youth is a valueable thing and looking young is valuable in many professions as well.Even men do not want to be bald or to grow grey hair for reasons beyond just looking young for its own sake.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Interesting commentary coming from men like Ferguson who marry younger women. It is not just Madison Ave., pushing this youth obesession, it's a little more personal.
heh
Yes. Well at least his latest wife is 35/36 rather than some 20-something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Agreed. And it's all conditioning. We can't just buy a house, we must buy a "starter" house. We are taught to seek a perfection as we age that can never be attained and never existed in the first place. We will always need and seek more expensive face creams, eye creams, etc.
Yes, and to some degree, I think it has always been this way, though of course not everyone falls for this.
Confident, self-aware people do not feel that constant, gnawing need for ownership and purchased, pre-packaged experience; they find beauty in both simple things and unconventional places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Lets not kid ourselfs youth is a valueable thing and looking young is valuable in many professions as well.Even men do not want to be bald or to grow grey hair for reasons beyond just looking young for its own sake.
Yes, but at what cost? And to what end? You're still gonna die. I understand what you say--it's just that I deplore it.
I think of Elizabeth I with her facecream and wigs...Grecian Hair formula...and today's "shapewear" (compression underwear) for both men and women. But what really made Elizabeth I great was her spirit and her smarts, not that fiery red hair.
Ah well, I am into nutrition and exercise, but IMHO the fountain of youth is not found via plastic surgery or Spanx.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
I think this is kind of a sad thing. It has become, taboo, even (thought to be) pathetic and feared to get old, something we all must do whether we like it or not. I was thinking about this the other night when I noticed that there are so few older actresses out there when compared to older male actors. And even at that, they have to be the most maintained of women. Most of the women in movies are for show and thus have to be the most beautiful while men can be the homeliest actors ever seen. Is there a female showbiz comparison to Gene Hackman, Danny Divito, or Wellem Dafoe?

The point I am getting to here is that every where women look from the time they are little girls they are expected to grow up and look like Barbie. I honestly think that the repression of women has left beauty and sex appeal to be one of their common bargaining chips. Think about it, when we buy something in the store do we buy the package with some good looking model who's sharing a good time with the kids on it, or do we buy the package with a realistic looking mother? Come to think of it, when do we ever see a realistic looking woman represented in any kind of advertising, media, movies and TV?

We don't.

Respecting self image is one thing. But soaking up the public perception and conforming to it to such drastic and often unhealthy scales is another. I don't really think that women should have to place such an asinine value on beauty. There is so much more to judge and respect a person on than how they look.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Youth may be a valuable thing, but what makes it so valuable? It's all rather arbitrary.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
I just love this guy, he is so funny! I've always thought this myself, how we don't celebrate age, and how sad it is. All the wonderful things about growing old are thrown aside and instead we focus on the physical effects of age. Yes, I think a lot of it has to do with our culture and selling products to make people look younger, but some of the fear of age comes simply from the fact that time is running out I believe. It's like when people have terminal illnesses, it's all how you look at it, I mean, there's nothing that these people can do about the facts, but they can try to do something about how they see it. Maybe that's not the best example, but you know how sometimes when people get sick they just become the best people in the world and you want to be with them because they begin to see everything so beautiful and really really appreciate life to the fullest but then sometimes people stop living when they are diagnosed. There's a great song related to this called "Back When We Were Beautiful" by Matraca Berg.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 AM

about aging that is, it's sad but sweet

Old 10-08-2009, 04:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Everyone is telling their experience here, we are more reality based than the hollywood image of what is acceptable:Especially for females..I recently saw a Harrison Ford movie, and the girl was like 30; now he still looks good for his age but imo men are conditioned; its a biological drive, and women get traded in for younger models.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Everyone is telling their experience here, we are more reality based than the hollywood image of what is acceptable:Especially for females..I recently saw a Harrison Ford movie, and the girl was like 30; now he still looks good for his age but imo men are conditioned; its a biological drive, and women get traded in for younger models.
oh I definitely agree with this too, have you ever noticed how male reporters can stay on tv until their tired of it but women get knocked out as soon as they get a wrinkle and then they give us like one or two older female reporters to make it look like the age of the women doesn't effect their career? It's not just acting, its everywhere. 'It's OK for the guy to get old, but the woman must stay young.' Not fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates