Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,672,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they listen to you out of fear of the physical consequences, they're going to be timid growing up. Permissiveness doesn't cause timidity. Unanswered violence does.
There is nothing about understanding the chain of command and the fact that "dad doesn't negotiate" that is unhealthy, evidence of fear or a cause of timidity as far as I can tell.

If anything, the most dominant people that I know were all well disciplined by their fathers. You learn a thing or two about "how not to back down" from a dad like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
I'm suggesting that if you back up your authority with force, and they never learn to fight back, it makes them timid.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM

17,117 posts, read 56,757,089 times
Just in general, of the ladies I dated that had kids at home, it seemed to me the girls were not much bothered by the lack of a father figure - they may have missed him but were generally pretty normal, but the boys generally tended to be either sissies or over-the-top wild men.

I think a kid needs a role model of their own sex, to grow up "right". For a boy, probably the best would be a biological father that lives at home, and provides a good role model, not just in diciplining the boy, but most importantly in how he interacts with Mom, if he drinks, he drinks in moderation, fixes things around the house, mows the grass, maybe even takes the kids to the gym.

My Dad provided a good role model for me - I didn't grow up "just like him" - we are different in a lot of ways - but he did provide the overall role model for "what a man is" for me.

Not certain but I think a lot of bad behavior in the "hood" is driven by no proper male role models.

Note that a biological father living at home is not the only male role model in most boy's life, some guys manage to father a kid but the kid is frankly better off without them, players, etc. Alternative role models can and do get the job done, but dad at home is probably the most practical and reliable way for a son to turn out right. Just IMHO.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,328,514 times
For raising male children, I would think so...

Let's face it, women don't have the life experiences needed to teach a young male how to be "masculine", how to be a man. Only a male father-figure can do that...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,610,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
For raising male children, I would think so...

Let's face it, women don't have the life experiences needed to teach a young male how to be "masculine", how to be a man. Only a male father-figure can do that...
Why do you think young males have to be masculine? So they can wrestle woolly mammoths to the ground? So they will feel OK about napalming children and watching them burn alive? Why do you think that is so important?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 AM

15 posts, read 64,352 times
Default working mothers

Yes.... Children need mother's care more than father's care. Usually when mothers are working outside rather staying at home, children are likely to get spoiled morally and ethically. By law of nature, father should work outside and earn bread by sweat and mother should work at home in educating and feeding children.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do you think young males have to be masculine? So they can wrestle woolly mammoths to the ground? So they will feel OK about napalming children and watching them burn alive? Why do you think that is so important?
Because we don't need them to be effeminate.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 AM

35,944 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshraju View Post
Yes.... Children need mother's care more than father's care. Usually when mothers are working outside rather staying at home, children are likely to get spoiled morally and ethically. By law of nature, father should work outside and earn bread by sweat and mother should work at home in educating and feeding children.
What law of nature do you refer to?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM

35,944 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because we don't need them to be effeminate.
Not that I dont think it is best for children to grow up with two parents, but tell my two burly, beer drinking, gun toting sons they are effeminate because they grew up without a father and see how fast you are knocked on your arse.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,187,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I was raised by a single mother and she did a great job raising me. I have turned out to be a respectable, professional person; however, as I got older, I began missing my father. There was a void there no one fill but him. He was 'around' but not in the household. We have a great relationship now and I remember him telling me something that struck me. One day I fessed up to him some very painful and embarrassing segments of my life when I was very young and even up to college. He said with a sigh, 'I am so sorry I wasn't around more. If I were, I really believe the things you've been through could've been avoided if I were there to guide you.'

I strongly believe that it is crucial and critical to have the patriarch in the home. Whenever I discuss this with some women, they totally dismiss the father's importance in the home. It's almost like you have to prove why they are necessary. I've never had anyone downplay the importance of a mother in the home, so why fathers?
Either because they have been in a single parent or similar situation (ie both parents not there in a "family unit" ie in the classic sense) which causes them to pretend otherwise to somehow rationalize that their situation wasn't so bad - ie to bury their head in the sand, to so speak - or because they're just plain blind and/or stupid, frankly.

Nice to see someone else gets it, esp someone who had to deal with it (and I'm sorry you did), but - and as you've probably found out already - you might as well be spitting into the wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates