U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,711,145 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I have just one question for you Mr. TKramer. What are you going to do when you get a few more years on you, and begin to slow down? The natural process of aging involves slowing of reactions, general weakening of muscle, etc. Are you exempt from natural laws?
Ever hear of Jack Lalanne?

 
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,711,145 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Great post, thanks.

My daddy alway said to do the job properly you need the right tools. It could be done without hammer but the job can be done much better and faster with a hammer.

So the best tool offered for self defense is a firearm.
Yet the American Indian never used a hammer to construct their living quarters. Nor did aboriginal tribesmen. Because it isn't necessary--adobe, for example, doesn't require nails, so no hammer is required.
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM
 
261 posts, read 402,116 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not a rant, just an explanation of where I was coming from. Some people learn the lesson that teaches, some people just become much more materialistic. I'm content with "nothing"--it's not a problem for me. I learned that there is nothing I really need, nothing that I can't do without. Most people? Not so much. They take things for granted and whine and complain if they don't have what they think they deserve. Not me.
Can you please tie that into the right to own a firearm?
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 AM
 
261 posts, read 402,116 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Ever hear of Jack Lalanne?
An anomaly among men, no doubt. Are you really confident in his ability to physically best someone 65 years his junior and trained in martial arts?
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
 
261 posts, read 402,116 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yet the American Indian never used a hammer to construct their living quarters. Nor did aboriginal tribesmen. Because it isn't necessary--adobe, for example, doesn't require nails, so no hammer is required.
The fact that Native Americans and Aborigines didn't use tools to construct their living quarters does not mean that:

A, their living quarters were superior to those of others who did employ tools
B, that they would not have utilized tools if they had widespread access to them
C, that they would have been mentally ill for desiring to have a specific tool available to do a specific job in a specific situation, as you have alluded to as being the case in those desiring to own a firearm
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM
 
261 posts, read 402,116 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think we've pointed out that I eschew tools. I've had to get things done without tools before, so I don't see a need for them. Some have called a firearm a tool. It's one I can do without.

I get things done the best way I know how without tools. The job still gets done. I don't cry because I don't have a tool, or can't get one.

That's how I see you people--a bunch of crybabies saying "We NEED our guns." No. You may "want" them, but you don't "need" them.
OK, first of all, you eschew tools? I think you're mistaken unless you don't write anything EVER, eat with your hands, and don't use a mouse and keyboard.

Additionally, there is definitely something to be said for getting by without the use of tools. Necessity is the mother of invention right? However, you're insinuating that because someone does use a tool for something, they're less? I'm sorry, pops. You won't ever be able to convince anyone in the world with half a brain that you live your life without tools and are better than everyone else who does use tools for it. Tools have been used since the beginning of humankind to do things that they otherwise could not, or not without great and needless extertion.

On to my next question, so what if we want them but don't need them?
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,711,145 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Can you please tie that into the right to own a firearm?
The point that it's not a "need", but only a "want". You can't always get what you "want".
 
Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
 
261 posts, read 402,116 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The point that it's not a "need", but only a "want". You can't always get what you "want".
Right, and if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need. I get it.

However, your point about doing without is impertinent to this argument. I don't need a gun. I want one, because I believe it is a valuable tool. Am I to understand that you're saying that growing up with only basic material resources, and learning how to do without, means that you should continue to do without once you do have access to more non-essential but valuable resources?
 
Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,711,145 times
Reputation: 10554
Exactly, you don't need it--so why do so many THINK they do?
 
Old 10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 3,047,234 times
Reputation: 727
I'd like to know what in the Christian's Hell "physical prowess" and adobe have to do with this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top