U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
33,843 posts, read 29,321,121 times
Reputation: 15681

Advertisements

TK - I wonder how much of your objection to people arming themselves with firearms stems from the observation that you say you are a Master in several schools of self defense. In effect you are always armed. Do you want everyone else to spend the incredible amount of time energy and effort to develop the skills of unarmed combat instead of going out and buying a gun, some instruction and a carry permit for a weapon that negates the martial arts skills of the most proficient master?

Then there are the folks that cannot fight due to physical or medical reasons. Would you just categorically deny them a way to defend themselves? I would not.

 
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 27,223,311 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
And in the mean time, what are you going to do about the millions of guns being sold underground?
Are people suppose to just give up their weapons knowing the majority of gangs still have automatic weapons?
If you're suspected of having a gun, we kill you in self-defense.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 27,223,311 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
TK - I wonder how much of your objection to people arming themselves with firearms stems from the observation that you say you are a Master in several schools of self defense.
I've never said this. I've said multiple times that I've had no FORMAL training in ANY martial art. I LIVED it. I got beat on every day until I was about six, and learned how to defend myself. I got picked on at school because I was one of the smaller kids--and for some reason, bigger people think they have the right to bully you. I put a stop to that also.

I once knocked a manager to the ground with one punch, when he got up, about a minute later, he told me I was fired. But I didn't take his crap either.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
18,823 posts, read 17,557,356 times
Reputation: 18100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I once knocked a manager to the ground with one punch, when he got up, about a minute later, he told me I was fired. But I didn't take his crap either.
Did he strike you first or where you the bully in this situation ? I'm surprised you were not charged with assault.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 27,223,311 times
Reputation: 10607
He tried to strike me, I beat him to it.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
7,145 posts, read 5,244,493 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've never said this. I've said multiple times that I've had no FORMAL training in ANY martial art. I LIVED it. I got beat on every day until I was about six, and learned how to defend myself. I got picked on at school because I was one of the smaller kids--and for some reason, bigger people think they have the right to bully you. I put a stop to that also.

I once knocked a manager to the ground with one punch, when he got up, about a minute later, he told me I was fired. But I didn't take his crap either.
Good grief! Seems like every other post there is another feat of bare handed violence that comes out. Enough already. We get the point, I think..Defending oneself against a bully and defending against a criminal are two different subjects. A bully is generally a blowhard, perhaps said bully is physically large and intimidating, and has some inadequacy or another that compells him to prove what a bad a$$ he is by pushing around less capable people. A criminal has a goal in mind of monetary gain, or satisfying some urge or another to just hurt people, hurt them bad, not just push them around. Most bullies can be dealt with by stomping a mudhole in them, not so with a violent criminal. We are not talking about dealing with a blowhard boss or some physically large punk with a chip on their shoulder. The latter has no will or true desire to kill or inflict great harm, they are cowards, and they know it whats more, so they try and exert themselves to negate that fact. A violent criminal WANTS to kill and maim, and has no fear of being hurt themselves, unlike a bully. Quite often they LIKE pain, and trying to take them on bare handed will get you smashed like a bug. These are the types that lethal force must be used to stop. Anything short of that is a rat turd in a tornado. TK, I will hazard that the peole you have ...engaged, were just bullys. You have been lucky. Many people have not been so lucky, and being armed kept them alive. If you ever face a truly dangerous person,and the reality that if you do not kill or seriously ,and I mean seriously, hurt this person, you are going to die becomes a reality, you will understand what I am trying to get at. For your sake, and that of those who care about you, I hope you never have to have this point driven home.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 2,385,567 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
But we regulate car use more than gun use.
Really?? I don't remember going through fingerprinting and a background check by the FBI to get a car. Hmmmm, I must be missing something.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 2,385,567 times
Reputation: 887
Not a very reliable source. The American Journal of Public Health is one of the groups trying to tie gun deaths with some kind of medical epidemic. Notoriously anti-gun sources are not reliable in this instance.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
 
4,529 posts, read 3,224,925 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Owning something--which shouldn't be done anyhow--generally demonstrates the expectation of using it.
Horse crap.

I collect swords.

I have no intention of using them on a human being in the least.
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 27,223,311 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good grief! Seems like every other post there is another feat of bare handed violence that comes out. Enough already. We get the point, I think..Defending oneself against a bully and defending against a criminal are two different subjects. A bully is generally a blowhard, perhaps said bully is physically large and intimidating, and has some inadequacy or another that compells him to prove what a bad a$$ he is by pushing around less capable people. A criminal has a goal in mind of monetary gain, or satisfying some urge or another to just hurt people, hurt them bad, not just push them around. Most bullies can be dealt with by stomping a mudhole in them, not so with a violent criminal. We are not talking about dealing with a blowhard boss or some physically large punk with a chip on their shoulder. The latter has no will or true desire to kill or inflict great harm, they are cowards, and they know it whats more, so they try and exert themselves to negate that fact. A violent criminal WANTS to kill and maim, and has no fear of being hurt themselves, unlike a bully. Quite often they LIKE pain, and trying to take them on bare handed will get you smashed like a bug. These are the types that lethal force must be used to stop. Anything short of that is a rat turd in a tornado. TK, I will hazard that the peole you have ...engaged, were just bullys. You have been lucky. Many people have not been so lucky, and being armed kept them alive. If you ever face a truly dangerous person,and the reality that if you do not kill or seriously ,and I mean seriously, hurt this person, you are going to die becomes a reality, you will understand what I am trying to get at. For your sake, and that of those who care about you, I hope you never have to have this point driven home.

Anyone who desires to bring great harm to another is a coward. Those forced into doing so, are a victim of circumstances, but it doesn't require a weapon to protect yourself from them, if you have the will to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top