Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I am all for concealed carry, however I do think guns give a false sense of security. Just having a gun at your side is not enough; you must be ready to use that gun and pull the trigger without hesitation, and most civilians ( those without police or military training) are not ready to do that. So unless you practice with your firearm, yes I do believe that you would probably end up getting yourself shot or shooting a passerby before you shoot the bad guy.
When we examone most defensive shootings by the police these days it becomes quite apparent that 'training' does not quite make for proper use of firearms. A large number, over 50% , of police shootings see a large amount of ammo expended, and very few hits, if any, on the suspect being shot at. When compared to civilian defensive shootings, the latter shows a low number of rounds fired, sometimes none as the suspect flees, with a far better percentage of rounds on target. This is not something the gun haters are willing to discuss, beyond just denying the fact. I will grant that it should be prerequisate, if one buys a firearm, to practice and become proficient with it. There are a LOT of resources that can be utilized for folks to do this, and the poice have not been setting a very good example for folks to follow when SOP is to whip out the crunchentickers, and let loose with 3 15 round mags and rounds flying every place exept into the intended target.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:54 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What about people who shoot their spouses? No gun in the home, no spouses shooting each other.

Just one story:
snopes.com: The Bennett Bridge Murder

of many:
wife shoots husband, bridge - Yahoo! Search Results
What about people who stab their spouses to death? Or club them to death with a fireplace poker? Axe? Shovel? Bare hands? Run them over with the family car

The extreme rarity of these types of firearm incidences doesn't even amount to ancedotal "evidence" to support eliminating a Constitutional Right present in this Nation since the ratification of the Bill or Rights.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:55 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
some call a gun a "tool" instead of a "crutch". But you can manage just fine without "tools" also--if you use your big head. A little ingenuity goes a long way.
In english this time?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A large number, over 50% , of police shootings see a large amount of ammo expended, and very few hits, if any, on the suspect being shot at.

The only time I was ever invited to attend a police shooting, they fired only one shot and it was effective. It was in the crowded street after a World Series game had let out, less than a block from the Oakland Coliseum, and I heard a shot, and saw a perp lying in the street with thousands of gawking bystanders. I came to understand that the perp was suspected of having just stolen a motorbike, and the cops brought him down with a single shot, and I heard nobody shout "Freeze". Most people seemed pretty astonished that an officer would fire his service revolver in such a crowd at a suspect associated with such a trivial crime.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
I agree with the thread title and after almost 20 pages of posts it finally occurred to me:

Recent research shows that possessing a gun in an assault increases risk of getting shot .....

if you are the bad guy it increases your odds tremendously.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:10 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,765,855 times
It's easy to manipulate data, and it's also easy to guess what the agenda is behind this particular manipulation. Somebody wants to take our guns away. Same old story. And this recent 'research' is in line with old 'research', which also said it was more dangerous to have a gun. This 'research' comes from the same sort of great minds who tell us to comply with the wishes of our attackers, and who think that urban crime issues can be resolved by moving the criminal demographic into Section 8 housing, right next door to YOU.

What 'studies' like this fail to address is the aggregate good that comes from gun ownership. Every time some gangbanger gets his head blown off, that's a little chlorine for the Gene Pool: one more violent felon who won't be impregnating little welfare sows.

Anyway, getting shot is not necessarily the end of the world. Being dragged off by subhumans and raped/tortured to death generally is the end of the world. Having a gun is so nice, when you hear someone busting down your door. We don't have any guns, but the rest of our neighborhood is heavily armed, and watching for problems. We're thrilled to be surrounded by gun owners.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Being dragged off by subhumans and raped/tortured to death generally is the end of the world..
Now, I'm going to give you a chance to manipulate the data, so we can see where you stand. What is the approximate annual number of peaceful, law abiding Americans minding their own business that this happens to? (remember, you said "to death". I will not disagree with you that is the end of the world.)

Just to let you know where I stand, I would guess that the number is smaller than the number who claim to have been abducted by aliens.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-10-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only time I was ever invited to attend a police shooting, they fired only one shot and it was effective. It was in the crowded street after a World Series game had let out, less than a block from the Oakland Coliseum, and I heard a shot, and saw a perp lying in the street with thousands of gawking bystanders. I came to understand that the perp was suspected of having just stolen a motorbike, and the cops brought him down with a single shot, and I heard nobody shout "Freeze". Most people seemed pretty astonished that an officer would fire his service revolver in such a crowd at a suspect associated with such a trivial crime.
In stark contrast, the police shooting I witnessed involved three officers, one suspect, who had ran his car into an open field, and jumped out, .357 in hand. The three pursuing officers (one the Chief of Police himself) each drew and let loose with their 9 mm handguns, expending multiple mags each, none of the fired handgun rounds hit the suspect, who returned fire with one single round, that hit the Chiefs car. He was finally hit by the sherrifs deputy, with his shotgun, and the fight was then over. I was across the road, under my pickup, and fervently wishing I was somewhere else. This was quite the story for the local paper. The total number of fired rounds, by the coating of brass on the ground, was , unofficially, tagged at 48. Not counting the suspects and the shotgun round (I think anyway) close enough. I see stories like this regularly in many of the pulications I read, and hear about them from friends on the force and the deputies I know and work with on the range. It's frightening.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
In english this time?
That was English--perhaps you should work on English comprehension.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
What about people who stab their spouses to death? Or club them to death with a fireplace poker? Axe? Shovel? Bare hands? Run them over with the family car

The extreme rarity of these types of firearm incidences doesn't even amount to ancedotal "evidence" to support eliminating a Constitutional Right present in this Nation since the ratification of the Bill or Rights.
Sure--until you're the one shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.