Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
All illegal drug abuse is a national health problem. It is the government that creates criminals out of people who use drugs. All drugs should be "legalized" and we should treat abusers as dealing with the health problems they have from drug abuse, either psychologically, bodily, or both.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to imprison people for being sick with addiction. The cost of prevention and treatment is likely far less than maintaining a prison population incarcerated for drug use. Take the crime out of drugs and law enforcement would be free to deal with the dangerous and violent criminals. It would lessen overcrowding of our prisons and deal with this problem on a humanitarian level. Over 40% of prisoners in Federal prisons are there on drug convictions.

People who are incarcerated for sales and distribution would be almost eliminated since sales would be legal and controlled by the goverment as liquor is done today. Sure some "moonshiners" would conduct illegal sales, but it would be small in comparison to what it is today. How many moonshiners are there in prison today?

Legalization It's long overdue.

Drugs and Human Rights in the United States

Effectiveness of the War on Drugs

You have to overstand that incarceration is a business and if most drugs were decriminized there goes alot of profits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay this is about legalizing MEDICAL marijuana, not just marijuana in general, which I thought it was about from the title of the thread. But I am very impressed that North Carolina is considering medical marijuana as I always though most of the South seemed too socially conservative for that to happen. It's a step in the right direction imo.

I just signed a petition on Saturday to put an initiative the 2010 CA ballot to legalize marijuana for everyone, so hopefully it will get enough signatures to qualify for the ballot and CA could possibly be the first state to legalize it for all adults.
Doesn't Federal law trump state law? I don't understand how a DEA controlled substance can be made legal by one state somehow overturning federal law? Does DEA just not get involved with it in California, sorta like don't ask don't tell?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM

345 posts, read 643,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Doesn't Federal law trump state law? I don't understand how a DEA controlled substance can be made legal by one state somehow overturning federal law? Does DEA just not get involved with it in California, sorta like don't ask don't tell?
The official policy of the Obama administration is to not arrest medical marijuana suppliers and users as long as they conform with state law. However, that hasn't stopped the DEA from acting like a bunch of thugs.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
The only problem for pot users, is that once they legalize the stuff, they'll be charging taxes on it like its nobody's business. Legalizing it will make it illegal to sell it from your house without a permit. The businesses with permits will charge whatever they want, and inflate the price. Most pot users won't be able to afford weed anymore. So many will try to sell it on the sly, so they don't have to pay taxes on the product. That means that those selling without a permit will still be doing something illegal, and on top of getting shut down, will have to pay a fine for running a business without a permit. I can just imagine what the government getting involved will do to the product.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Bills are on the way to Raleigh about legalizing Marijuana in the State and regulating it just like California does!

What could good things could this promote to the public?
Follow the money. My guess is NC is looking to replace a decreasing tobacco cash crop and it has nothing to do with "society."

Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM

155 posts, read 282,962 times
Marajuana does not have people on the streets selling their bodies and etc

Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Why not? Druggies are going to be druggies whether it's legal or not, just like drunks will be drunks regardless (prohibition showed us that). As long as the druggie isn't harming others, there's really no need to treat it as criminal activity. I'm all for personal freedom--regardless of whether it leads to good things or an abject living hell that ruins your life. It's your body and your call, and as long as your action's consequences are confined to you and you alone, and not me, I don't care what you do. Legalize away.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-19-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
I found out the original flag of the 13 Colonies when they became states was made out of Hemp. Apparently, so too were the original copies of the Constitution and probably the Declaration of Independence.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
The only problem for pot users, is that once they legalize the stuff, they'll be charging taxes on it like its nobody's business. Legalizing it will make it illegal to sell it from your house without a permit. The businesses with permits will charge whatever they want, and inflate the price. Most pot users won't be able to afford weed anymore. So many will try to sell it on the sly, so they don't have to pay taxes on the product. That means that those selling without a permit will still be doing something illegal, and on top of getting shut down, will have to pay a fine for running a business without a permit. I can just imagine what the government getting involved will do to the product.
one would hope that if marijuana ever became legal, ownership of marijuana plants will also be legal. just like it isn't illegal for people to brew their own beer, it shouldn't be illegal for people to grow their own pot, should marijuana become legal. b/c, honestly, it'll be very difficult to curtail that if it did become legal (difficult to curtail now)

Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I don't really care if someone wants to get high at home. I do have an issue with someone wanting to smoke pot in a public place. Unlike cigarettes, you can get a contact buzz from pot. That, in itself, is quite an issue seeing as no other commonly used products will affect you in the same manner.

My thoughts are make it okay for home/private place use but not allow it in public places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates