U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,875 posts, read 10,662,534 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post
Many of you are familiar with the "Darwin Awards." It's a collection of cases where REALLY stupid people manage to get themselves killed in astounding ways. These are the type of people who rob police stations for bus fare.

The idea is that if these people manage to "off" themselves before reproducing the next generation has fewer people with a genetic predisposition to be dangerous members of society.

The problem is that far too many of these darwin award winners manage to survive long enough to reproduce. By that time, the genes have been passed on.

It is obvious what must be done. We must raise the legal age of consensual intercourse to 30 yrs old.

I know, such legislation may seem a little extreme at first. It may also pose some minor problems. For example, our prison would soon be filled with newly-weds. Another problem would be that many small motel chains would go out of business.

However, there are also great benefits. Think about how many men abuse their wives and children. Law enforcement might have difficulty finding sufficient evidence to convict some of these %&$# s for abuse but think about how much easier it would be to prove that they have slept with their 25 yr old wives. This is just one example of course. Al Capone was imprisoned based on tax fraud. This could be the new way to nail some of the most elusive criminals.

The way I see it, we really have no choice. We owe this to our children and grandchildren.

I think the better option would be to mandate that those with an IQ of over 130 must start breeding at the age of 15.

Breed them out.

No seriously, there are many idiots in the world. If anyone has seen the movie "idiocracy" then they could get a good idea of what could happen if stupid people continued to out breed those with higher brain activity. However, thats just not going to happen. By and large, most people I see on the street are rational and fairly intellegent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 2,392,700 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think the better option would be to mandate that those with an IQ of over 130 must start breeding at the age of 15.

Breed them out.

No seriously, there are many idiots in the world. If anyone has seen the movie "idiocracy" then they could get a good idea of what could happen if stupid people continued to out breed those with higher brain activity. However, thats just not going to happen. By and large, most people I see on the street are rational and fairly intellegent.
lol. Good luck trying to convince us to take on the burden of having to raise children at such a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,875 posts, read 10,662,534 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
lol. Good luck trying to convince us to take on the burden of having to raise children at such a young age.
I didn't say it was perfect. (I was trying to make a funny )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 2,392,700 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I didn't say it was perfect. (I was trying to make a funny )
In Singapore, they are attempting to do what you are talking about. (without failing to be funny)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,875 posts, read 10,662,534 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
In Singapore, they are attempting to do what you are talking about. (without failing to be funny)
Selective breeding is actually quite a dangerous practice. For one, if you aren't fully aware of the complete genetic background of those you are allowing to breed, you run the real risk of allowing some kind of horrible genetic disorder to propagate into your gene pool. Also, if your breeding pool is to small, then you run the real risk of reusing other bad genes, which could make you physically unable to perform certain tasks.

It would actually be easier, not to allow those below a certain IQ to breed, or those with certain genetic traits (diabetes, cancer, etc) not to breed. That increases the size of the gene pool, while also pulling out those who already have been shown to have genetic disorders of some kind.

Even thats dangerous, because who decides who to exclude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 2,392,700 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Selective breeding is actually quite a dangerous practice. For one, if you aren't fully aware of the complete genetic background of those you are allowing to breed, you run the real risk of allowing some kind of horrible genetic disorder to propagate into your gene pool. Also, if your breeding pool is to small, then you run the real risk of reusing other bad genes, which could make you physically unable to perform certain tasks.

It would actually be easier, not to allow those below a certain IQ to breed, or those with certain genetic traits (diabetes, cancer, etc) not to breed. That increases the size of the gene pool, while also pulling out those who already have been shown to have genetic disorders of some kind.

Even thats dangerous, because who decides who to exclude?
Selective breeding base on looks has proven to be dangerous to dogs. But selective breeding base on performance, doesn't seem to have had the same effect.

lets face it, the majority of the human race is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Sonoita
227 posts, read 313,946 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
People who came up with the name "Darwin awards", fail to understand the theory of evolution.
What is this, you mean fact of evolution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
746 posts, read 816,174 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
People who came up with the name "Darwin awards", fail to understand the theory of evolution.
Hi GPlex- Have you never received one of those "Darwin Award" emails? I think the OP was being facetious and just using a fun example to show that a lot of people are becoming parents before they are ready. It seems that you took this as some kind of challenge to Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution'???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Sonoita
227 posts, read 313,946 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Hi GPlex- Have you never received one of those "Darwin Award" emails? I think the OP was being facetious and just using a fun example to show that a lot of people are becoming parents before they are ready. It seems that you took this as some kind of challenge to Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution'???
I think there are several here who would take issue with someone stepping on their god's toes. Seems the OP stepped on several toes with this one. In the end, who the heck cares anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
33,438 posts, read 28,092,723 times
Reputation: 15388
Let people breed however they will. Natural selection, modified by human society and economy, works on humans just as well as it does on anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top