Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM

138 posts, read 173,040 times

Advertisements

Many of you are familiar with the "Darwin Awards." It's a collection of cases where REALLY stupid people manage to get themselves killed in astounding ways. These are the type of people who rob police stations for bus fare.

The idea is that if these people manage to "off" themselves before reproducing the next generation has fewer people with a genetic predisposition to be dangerous members of society.

The problem is that far too many of these darwin award winners manage to survive long enough to reproduce. By that time, the genes have been passed on.

It is obvious what must be done. We must raise the legal age of consensual intercourse to 30 yrs old.

I know, such legislation may seem a little extreme at first. It may also pose some minor problems. For example, our prison would soon be filled with newly-weds. Another problem would be that many small motel chains would go out of business.

However, there are also great benefits. Think about how many men abuse their wives and children. Law enforcement might have difficulty finding sufficient evidence to convict some of these %&$# s for abuse but think about how much easier it would be to prove that they have slept with their 25 yr old wives. This is just one example of course. Al Capone was imprisoned based on tax fraud. This could be the new way to nail some of the most elusive criminals.

The way I see it, we really have no choice. We owe this to our children and grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:52 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,053 times
People who came up with the name "Darwin awards", fail to understand the theory of evolution.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Should it be Natural Selection Awards? But that's quite right either in this context, is it?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
People who came up with the name "Darwin awards", fail to understand the theory of evolution.
I certainly do not particularly disagree, but that statement demands explanation...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I certainly do not particularly disagree, but that statement demands explanation...

For one thing, "the natural selection" ocurring has the effect of maintaining the status quo rather than helping new traits to be passed on.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post
Should it be Natural Selection Awards? But that's quite right either in this context, is it?
The "Spencer awards" would be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Paradox22 has tried to use Darwin's ideas on evolution to justify the phrase "Survival of the fittest".
Herbert Spencer first used the phrase - after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species - in his Principles of Biology (1864), in which he drew parallels between his own economic theories and Darwin's biological ones, writing “This survival of the fittest, which I have here sought to express in mechanical terms, is that which Mr. Darwin has called 'natural selection', or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life."
This claim exemplifies the naturalistic fallacy by arguing that the way things are implies how they ought to be. It is like saying that if someone's arm is broken, it should stay broken. But "is" does not imply "ought." Evolution is descriptive. It tells how things are, not how they should be.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the lesson. I'm not sure I understand the bit about the naturalistic fallacy but I think I've got the point.

Its not accurate to say that I tried to use Darwin's ideas. I thought it was clear that I'm not responsible for the naming of the Awards. As far as confusing "Is" with "ought"? Don't get me started on the topic of "ought." Actually, I would love to discuss it but that's a different thread.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Many of you are familiar with the "Darwin Awards." It's a collection of cases where REALLY stupid people manage to get themselves killed in astounding ways. These are the type of people who rob police stations for bus fare.

The idea is that if these people manage to "off" themselves before reproducing the next generation has fewer people with a genetic predisposition to be dangerous members of society.

The problem is that far too many of these darwin award winners manage to survive long enough to reproduce. By that time, the genes have been passed on.

It is obvious what must be done. We must raise the legal age of consensual intercourse to 30 yrs old.

I know, such legislation may seem a little extreme at first. It may also pose some minor problems. For example, our prison would soon be filled with newly-weds. Another problem would be that many small motel chains would go out of business.

However, there are also great benefits. Think about how many men abuse their wives and children. Law enforcement might have difficulty finding sufficient evidence to convict some of these %&$# s for abuse but think about how much easier it would be to prove that they have slept with their 25 yr old wives. This is just one example of course. Al Capone was imprisoned based on tax fraud. This could be the new way to nail some of the most elusive criminals.

The way I see it, we really have no choice. We owe this to our children and grandchildren.
Wow, an absolute philosophical and scientific masterpiece this is. LMAO, perhaps a glowing example of the effects of tetrahydracannabinol on human thought process? The 'profound revelation' effect? Whereas a certain thought or 'theory' seems to have originated in an area of the brain previously untapped, until the catalyst that caused it to be accessed wears off.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow, an absolute philosophical and scientific masterpiece this is. LMAO, perhaps a glowing example of the effects of tetrahydracannabinol on human thought process? The 'profound revelation' effect? Whereas a certain thought or 'theory' seems to have originated in an area of the brain previously untapped, until the catalyst that caused it to be accessed wears off.

I hope this doesn't mean that you took my post seriously. By the same token, I hope that Gplex did not take my statement "Thanks for the lesson" to be anything except sincere. I appreciate the explanation and link to Hebert Spencer which I found very interresting. I think I bought a book by Spencer. I should go back and finish that.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
I hope this doesn't mean that you took my post seriously. By the same token, I hope that Gplex did not take my statement "Thanks for the lesson" to be anything except sincere. I appreciate the explanation and link to Hebert Spencer which I found very interresting. I think I bought a book by Spencer. I should go back and finish that.
By the same token, I hope this does not mean that you took MY post seriously. Merely having a bit of fun myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates