U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,174,341 times
Default Michelle Obama's Slavery Ancestory

Now it is said that Michelle's great great grand father was a slave owner. And that her great great grand father and her great great grand mother had a child. Was the product a love child or a child of control and dominion? That is not being discussed. Shall we introduce Sally Hemmings? Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings

Why should I care? My ancestory came from Germany, of peasants without a chance, of indenture and servitude, of lifelone obligation without any real chance of freedom. Yet I am supposedly free.

Do my parents love me? After decades of power struggle with racial tension where have we come?

Why have we focused on aspects of life beyond our contemplation? I did not know who my great great grand parents were, I know not why they did what they did. Yet I speculate that they have been lost into a world of white occupation and oppression...white slavery nonetheless. Yet this shall not be spoken in a politically correct world dominated by other ideas.

Why does America no longer love me when my American parents do? My wife being of Native American ancestory asks why does this all matter. My wife also being of Irish ancestory asks why should we not consider that Michelle's ancestor, he being a slave owner, makes her a part of all this. My wife says we none of her ancestory owned a slave. I am unable to trace to my ancestory in Germany to answer except to say that those who I can trace were displaced during the greatest oppression some say known to recent time. Yet why do we not care what happens in the Orientalism that we, as American pigs, seem fit the consume?

Do we love each other? Do we love our slaves?

Michelle is a woman, she has children. May we all know and support each other in our societal roles.

Why should Michelle's ancestory matter to any of us? We are Americans!

My wife is not my slave, nor are my children. And I am not a slave unto them. Ain't it about time that the USA gets over the concept and look at what is REALLY going on?

Give me good policy and half way reasonable decision making and that is all that can be asked.

I'm sure others have seen my threads. What is a collective right? I demand that our collective rights get over this malfeasant idea of slavery least you choose to buy only an entirely American made product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 06:28 AM

2,424 posts, read 837,938 times
Your Point?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 AM

8,294 posts, read 14,027,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Now it is said that Michelle's great great grand father was a slave owner. And that her great great grand father and her great great grand mother had a child. Was the product a love child or a child of control and dominion? That is not being discussed. Shall we introduce Sally Hemmings? Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings
Ummm... I think you have that backwards. My understanding is that he (Jim Robinson) was born in the 1850s as a slave, not a slave owner.

Even so, I have to wonder why all of this suddenly became a hot topic in the news. It's not new information.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,243,333 times
Quote:

Why should I care? My ancestory came from Germany, of peasants without a chance, of indenture and servitude, of lifelone obligation without any real chance of freedom. Yet I am supposedly free.

Do my parents love me? After decades of power struggle with racial tension where have we come?

Why have we focused on aspects of life beyond our contemplation? I did not know who my great great grand parents were, I know not why they did what they did. Yet I speculate that they have been lost into a world of white occupation and oppression...white slavery nonetheless. Yet this shall not be spoken in a politically correct world dominated by other ideas.

Why does America no longer love me when my American parents do? My wife being of Native American ancestory asks why does this all matter. My wife also being of Irish ancestory asks why should we not consider that Michelle's ancestor, he being a slave owner, makes her a part of all this. My wife says we none of her ancestory owned a slave. I am unable to trace to my ancestory in Germany to answer except to say that those who I can trace were displaced during the greatest oppression some say known to recent time. Yet why do we not care what happens in the Orientalism that we, as American pigs, seem fit the consume?

Do we love each other? Do we love our slaves?

Michelle is a woman, she has children. May we all know and support each other in our societal roles.

Why should Michelle's ancestory matter to any of us? We are Americans!

My wife is not my slave, nor are my children. And I am not a slave unto them. Ain't it about time that the USA gets over the concept and look at what is REALLY going on?

Give me good policy and half way reasonable decision making and that is all that can be asked.

I'm sure others have seen my threads. What is a collective right? I demand that our collective rights get over this malfeasant idea of slavery least you choose to buy only an entirely American made product.

Not quite getting the point. Do we really need a policy on slavery?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ummm... I think you have that backwards. My understanding is that he (Jim Robinson) was born in the 1850s as a slave, not a slave owner.

Even so, I have to wonder why all of this suddenly became a hot topic in the news. It's not new information.

And Jim Robinson's father was whom??

Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,406,730 times
Quote:
And that her great great grand father and her great great grand mother had a child.
The simple fact that she calls them great great grand parents does indicate just that, yes...

If you're saying that we shouldn't look to the past to try to discredit people or whatnot, I agree 100 %. Only people with no real arguments but a lot of aggression towards someone does that in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM

8,294 posts, read 14,027,597 times
Quote:
And Jim Robinson's father was whom??
I don't know.

Do you?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,224,194 times
PBS Previews | Oprah's Roots, An African American Lives Special

I wish I knew more about my roots....all the way back to Africa.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
PBS Previews | Oprah's Roots, An African American Lives Special

I wish I knew more about my roots....all the way back to Africa.
Me too except the world wars erased the possibilty.

BTW: Weren't other Presidents, or their spouses, involved with slave ownership? So what is the relevancy of Michelle's situation? Guess it's another way of slipping the issue onto the Nation's stage and letting us all applaude or jeer. Really seems time to move onto pressing issues, and having the Olympics in Chicago isn't one either.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM

2,424 posts, read 837,938 times
If you don't water the roots the plant will die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates