U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,338,468 times
Reputation: 28722
If you arm yourself with a gun, you are announcing that you are willing to enter into a firefight, and you would not do that unless you thought you were good enough to win. That's a presumption of superiority over all comers.

When I said 'everyone' (poor choice of words), I did not take into account the fact that many of you are too slow-witted to think that far ahead.

The chance for the opportunity to blow somebody away with brute power can have a tendency to push reason and logic into the background.

 
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
 
Location: ɐpɐʌǝu 'sɐƃǝʌ sɐl
14,096 posts, read 9,782,263 times
Reputation: 6986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you arm yourself with a gun, you are announcing that you are willing to enter into a firefight, and you would not do that unless you thought you were good enough to win. That's a presumption of superiority over all comers.
Wow.

I get it. If someone threatens your life, you're supposed to just die, unless you know you can "beat them in a firefight", right?

Seriously, jtur... Your usually reasonable logic went for a hike today. Read what you're writing - it's on par with Dukester's nonsense. Really. You're letting me down big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I said 'everyone' (poor choice of words), I did not take into account the fact that many of you are too slow-witted to think that far ahead.
That was a really poor effort, jtur. Your words:

"...about gun self-defenders, is that every single one of them think they are invincible..."

"every single one of them think they are invincible"

There's no "explaining" that one away, jtur. You can either man up and admit that you made a broad, sweeping generalization that you knew to be false, or you can continue to try and pretend that you didn't. Everybody reading this - and I actually do mean everybody - knows exactly what you meant.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,338,468 times
Reputation: 28722
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow.

I get it. If someone threatens your life, you're supposed to just die, unless you know you can "beat them in a firefight", right?
.
It's always worked for me. Sometimes I run away. Sometimes I just curl up in the foetal position, and beg them not to kill me. I live a charmed life, remember?

You have a horribly exaggerated view of how seriously I take this topic.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,896,384 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe 99.99999% but definitely NOT 100%, unless there is not a single human being on the planet who can outdraw, outgun, outshoot you and is luckier than you, and had more foreknowledge of the event and planned better than you. You challenge him, you lose. I walk away, I win.

The thing that is most conspicuous about gun self-defenders, is that every single one of them think they are invincible, the best in the world at handling a gun. It is the absolute, unalloyed, ingrained, narcissistic, egotistic, self-delusional, perception of grandeur that is most annoying about gun self-defenders. You can't all be the best.
You are as bad as TKramer sometimes. Nobody is saying they are the biggest, baddest fastest or anything else. Just equipped to defend themselves. You say you can walk away??? I'm sure most crime victims would walk away IF the criminal let them. I doubt many men just stand & let themselves get robbed or women just let themselves get raped if they could just walk away. The fact is over 90% of the time having a gun will see you allowed to walk away & that is exactly what happens. Most incidents in which a private citizen uses a gun to prevent being a victim do not end in a shooting at all. The bad guy approaches, good guy pulls a gun, he leaves, end of incident. Happens many thousands of times a year.

The one here with the grandoise imagination is you sir, who imagine some jerk bent on beating your brains out & raping your wife will let you walk away, or that simply because it has not hapenned means it will not and that those who think about such things & take precautions are paranoid.

I'm not a firefighter, but if my house catches on fire I have a fire extinguisher & will try my best to put it out. I'm not a trained weapons self defense expert either, but I have weapons & if my family or I am attacked I will try my best to defend them.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,896,384 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you arm yourself with a gun, you are announcing that you are willing to enter into a firefight, and you would not do that unless you thought you were good enough to win. That's a presumption of superiority over all comers.

When I said 'everyone' (poor choice of words), I did not take into account the fact that many of you are too slow-witted to think that far ahead.

The chance for the opportunity to blow somebody away with brute power can have a tendency to push reason and logic into the background.

Not true at all. Most times you wouldn't know who has a gun, I announce nothing.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
2,914 posts, read 7,124,922 times
Reputation: 2490
Well, I wasn't going to read this but I finally did. I spent the majority of my business career working around hunters, gun people, fishermen, and other outdoors people and they were the best. Most of my customers were no nonsense engineers, police officers, public figures, veterans, entrepreneurs, and big business owners.

Both my brother and my dad, a highly decorated veteran and sharpshooter, had collections that needed special rooms. I kept a rifle both in sight of the front door of my house and in my office. I have also worked the NE Grand Nationals.

My deceased husband, a Wall Streeter, attended meetings with some pretty high powered and highly educated political advisers on the natl/intl scene whose names you would recognize from years ago that were recreational shooting matches. He was also an expert marksman and Marine recon trainer. Three different times he was attacked on the street by knife wielding thugs, disarmed them, broke their arms, then called the police saving the people he was with in the process. It was only his training in unarmed combat that saved him and them.

I agree I'd really not like to see the OP as a gun owner.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 10-14-2009 at 07:48 PM..
 
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
6,965 posts, read 4,976,467 times
Reputation: 4535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe 99.99999% but definitely NOT 100%, unless there is not a single human being on the planet who can outdraw, outgun, outshoot you and is luckier than you, and had more foreknowledge of the event and planned better than you. You challenge him, you lose. I walk away, I win.

The thing that is most conspicuous about gun self-defenders, is that every single one of them think they are invincible, the best in the world at handling a gun. It is the absolute, unalloyed, ingrained, narcissistic, egotistic, self-delusional, perception of grandeur that is most annoying about gun self-defenders. You can't all be the best.
We ,'every single one of us' think we are invincible? Could you pull up a post somewhere where I have said any such thing? Or by any other pro firearms poster in here? What a blatant fabrication! I happen to know, all to well, that I am anything but invincible, immortal, bullet proof, or any other such mythological thing. Where do you come up with this drivel? OK, so , when attacked, accosted, whatever, you say that walking away will always work. No exceptions, and this will ALWAYS work. At least for you, maybe not for us mere mortals who just THINK we are invincible, unlike you , who has a completely foolproof method. Have you taken a good look at your posts of late? You talk of delusions of grandeur, narcissism, egotism etc, well, who would know such things better than someone who is incurably infected with such diseases themselves? Oh, I happen to know , beyond any doubt, that I am FAR from being 'the best in the world' at handling a firearm. I know my limitations, quite well indeed. Perhaps, one day, you may become better aquainted with yours.What really tends to frost me about rabid hoplophobes is their unadulterated, completely pure, self righteous sense of absolute superiority and vindication. Every last one of them, so convinced that they are totally above we poor mortals. Blowing their own horns about their superior intellect and their own lofty view of themselves as being somehow more evolved. Annoying indeed.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,338,468 times
Reputation: 28722
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We ,'every single one of us' think we are invincible? Could you pull up a post somewhere where I have said any such thing? Or by any other pro firearms poster in here? .
What the hell, why not. I quoted him for everybody else, I guess I can quote him for you too. But this is the last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I definitely have a 100% chance of not being a victim of a crime by being armed.
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
2,671 posts, read 3,726,910 times
Reputation: 2666
Methinks JTur has watched too many old Western movies. I doubt if he has ever fired a gun. If he went out in the country and bounced a few tin cans around with a .22 rifle or handgun he might find out how much fun it is.

GL2
 
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,338,468 times
Reputation: 28722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Methinks JTur has watched too many old Western movies. I doubt if he has ever fired a gun. If he went out in the country and bounced a few tin cans around with a .22 rifle or handgun he might find out how much fun it is.

GL2
Methinks too many people here are making personal judgments about people that they don't know anything about. This is not the first time here that I've revealed that I'm a member of NRA, I own guns, my father taught me to shoot at a young age, I'm a very good shot, and I know exactly how much fun it is to plink a few cans and kill a few animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top