U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,705,417 times

Advertisements

I have used Trig. in the real world, but never algebra.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM

871 posts, read 1,013,981 times
an education is good for whatever you are going to do with it. if you were an architect, you would need to know physics for structural integrity and mathematics (quadratic formula used a lot) etc.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 14,200,665 times
If people valued "knowledge/learning," they could always audit classes, and not pay all that money for degrees.
I cannot imagine borrowing huge amounts of money for the sake of learning. I would absolutely have to consider education as job training/pre-req (as I have).
Chinese culture (what a broad term) stemmed from Confucianism, which did/does emphasize education/learning. Of course, the times it came from had almost 100 percent lack of literacy and peasant life, so I'm not sure who was getting educated.
Living around a very educated populace and many schools (Boston/Cambridge), I'd say that roughly that Asians, at least Chinese and Japanese here, put a huge emphasis on getting degrees (not fake ones) and getting good jobs and status. A lot of people from India, too, very ambitious and study-focused.
I maintain that a good autodidact can get pretty well read by reading a good newspaper every day.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,756,425 times
After I retire I plan on auditing college level courses just to improve my learning skills and for grins.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM

30,416 posts, read 18,719,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Does Algebra exist in the real world?
Yes.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 2,705,417 times
As I get along further in Life, I'm actually a little surprised at how little one really needs to know, if you just know the right People. I guess it has always been that way. --I just don't happen to know the right People it seems.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,345,265 times
Quote:
As I get along further in Life, I'm actually a little surprised at how little one really needs to know, if you just know the right People. I guess it has always been that way. --I just don't happen to know the right People it seems.

In support of your statement:
As our political leaders continuously show, success requires no knowledgd what-so-ever.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 PM

4,175 posts, read 4,048,643 times
Quote:
I have used Trig. in the real world, but never algebra.
Most engineers have probably used both - extensively. OTOH, most engineers have not used History much. The idea in schools is to teach us basics - we may not use all of it.

Quote:
Words of wisdom. As someone commented earlier, some of the real life experiences are not included in any degree(s). Like many, I know many people without degrees to be extremely smart and "educated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
In support of your statement:
As our political leaders continuously show, success requires no knowledgd what-so-ever.
Please leave Palin out of this.

Last edited by calmdude; 11-13-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: twypoes

Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 AM

27,237 posts, read 26,829,104 times
I posted this in another thread. In many cases, showing your boss that you know how to do something that he thought you did not know how to do, just gets you MORE work...and no one needs "more" on their plate.

I'm responsible for enough, I didn't need that other thing added to my plate.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,345,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I posted this in another thread. In many cases, showing your boss that you know how to do something that he thought you did not know how to do, just gets you MORE work...and no one needs "more" on their plate.

I'm responsible for enough, I didn't need that other thing added to my plate.
Yes you did. Eat your vegetables and stop whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates