U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 PM

27,924 posts, read 22,116,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The WTC was a military target, for the same reason that the German aircraft and munitions plants, full of civilian workers, were military targets. Al Qaeda and other saw the creeping threat of global economic domination as an enemy that would bring western culture along with it, and what better represented the headquarters and nerve center of that threat than a building that even trumpeted its intentions under the name World Trade Center? If you are the head and brain of the perceived enemy, you become the target, the only part that can be effectively cut off.
Hmm, the port authority of one of the biggest centers of commerce on the planet naming a complex after its purpose--a center for world trade. How suspicious.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 PM

434 posts, read 666,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First of all, I was in the WTC on 9/11 and then returned there to work for a few years, and while I see some change, it isn't all THAT drastic. I've flown a number of times--I enjoy it far more than I did before 9/11 since I no longer have a fear of death, and I didn't find airport security all that onerous.

Where the heck were you that you could get into a government building-or pretty much any corporate building--without ID before 9/11? Since 1993 most buildings had upgraded their security, at least in the NY metro area. Geez, at the WTC you couldn't get a pizza delivered upstairs--you had to go down 80 floors or whatever to pick it up from the guy.

Yes, security cameras have definitely increased. In some places, they were already there. You couldn't scratch your ***** at the WTC without being on camera before 9/11, either. Fat lot of good that did, huh?

As for the site restrictions, that is just sad, but necessary. The results of risk assessments, blast analyses, etc., all have to be taken into consideration now from a "what would I do if I were a terrorist" perspective.

The Patriot Act isn't necessarily bad if it's not abused. Good luck with that.

Won't even go into the wars--that's a whole animal unto itself...
Agreed, with a qualification - they won with lots and lots of help from a brainless, fanatic outlaw administration under a brain dead president. Put it in another way, the Bush gang have done more damage to America's well-being than the terrorists.

I think most of the neo-con idiots in this country are still not getting it. They are still following neo-con propaganda machines (Fox, Limbaugh etc) like sheep.

But then, what can you expect from a people who collectively put a brain dead crackhead in the White House for 8 damn years?

Last edited by austinite45; 10-15-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM

43,195 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Yep;but we did not have another attck which is what the people wanted, Much less lose freedon than FDR put in place in WWII. i don't see any innocent people suffering ;just whining for politcal reasons. Otherwise Obama would ahve immedaitely suspended very thing which he hasn't.Political rethoric is much different than reality.One fot eh dirst thiong Obama's administrtion did was satrt putting out watch list to police on ;not individauls but profeesion sand one charged with enforcing the laws,Then of curse he further accused them of being stuipod while saying he didn;t know the facts of the issue. Reminded me of Nixon's gulit before trail but worse because none wqas accused and no real facts were know and of course the person was a friend.Guilt by the prejudice.We have seen this rebel rousing type oppression by governamnt before to appeal to the mob thinking ion societymany times in teh past.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,071,106 times
Truly the terrorists have won.
The fanatics have used our freedoms against us and now we continue to erode our own rights in a bid to save comfort.
It will take many more disastrous attacks on U.S. soil before America wakes from it's self-serving whining indulgent flagellation and unifies in an effort to rid the world of terrorism.
We have lived for a very long time with minimal impact as a result of terrorism but those days are obviously very much over...
It will be very interesting to see just how far radical groups in the U.S. (and elsewhere) will go to support terrorism against America. It will be interesting to watch the left, and all the various bizarre "organizations" become the tools, willingly or unwittingly of radical islam....of terrorists....It will be interesting to see how far we will let them go before there is no more comfort to be bargained for and we all have to fight like mad.....simply to live.....It will be interesting to see what sort of support we get....from our own people....from our "allies".....when it's our asses on the line....

Those days will be upon us here shortly.....

Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 PM

43,195 posts, read 47,049,205 times
But you certainly don't want the freeedoms they will give you.The average american just hears about the freedoms he/she has loss and only notices inconvenience at iriports for example. If he lived during WWII he/she would have noticed much more.Its just the way it is to keep those other freedoms we enjoy so much insured by the same governmental powers;IMO.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Of course they didn't win......because there is no paradise of gardens and grapes with 72 virgins and domes of ruby and pearl waiting for evil cowards like them.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Of course they didn't win......because there is no paradise of gardens and grapes with 72 virgins and domes of ruby and pearl waiting for evil cowards like them.
Are you sure "coward" is really the correct word here? Do you have enough courage to have done what they did, for a cause you believe in?

cow·ard
n. One who shows ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain.

cour⋅age
–noun
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,038,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are you sure "coward" is really the correct word here? Do you have enough courage to have done what they did, for a cause you believe in?

cow·ard
n. One who shows ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain.

cour⋅age
–noun
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
There's nothing courageous about attacking unarmed, unsuspecting citizens and deliberately avoiding military opposition while doing so. And what pain did they face? Jets plowing into those towers at those speeds most likely killed them in milliseconds.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
There's nothing courageous about attacking unarmed, unsuspecting citizens and deliberately avoiding military opposition while doing so.
Like in Vietnam and Iraq? And Dresden and Hiroshima?

The unarmed unsuspecing civilians were working in a legitimate military target, just as surely as the civilians working in Hitler's munitions factories were. The enemy, to the terrorists, was World Trade, threatening their economy and way of life, and where better to find the munitions of World Trade but in the World Trade Center.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM

24,801 posts, read 11,342,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Truly the terrorists have won.
The fanatics have used our freedoms against us and now we continue to erode our own rights in a bid to save comfort.
It will take many more disastrous attacks on U.S. soil before America wakes from it's self-serving whining indulgent flagellation and unifies in an effort to rid the world of terrorism.
We have lived for a very long time with minimal impact as a result of terrorism but those days are obviously very much over...
It will be very interesting to see just how far radical groups in the U.S. (and elsewhere) will go to support terrorism against America. It will be interesting to watch the left, and all the various bizarre "organizations" become the tools, willingly or unwittingly of radical islam....of terrorists....It will be interesting to see how far we will let them go before there is no more comfort to be bargained for and we all have to fight like mad.....simply to live.....It will be interesting to see what sort of support we get....from our own people....from our "allies".....when it's our asses on the line....

Those days will be upon us here shortly.....
You don't see it, but its there.

I have a hard time understanding conservatives.

All I hear is, "I don't trust the government." Yet when it comes to letting them listen in on their phone conversations, knowing what books they are reading, and watching what you are looking at on the internet is ok.

I would think that if you don't trust the government, you'd be really concerned about giving up those freedoms. You never know when someone might use that against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates