U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,394,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My question if we were intelligently designed, then why do we even need oxygen, food, or water? I would think that a power capable of producing the universe would be capable of coming up with a being that didn't require all of these special amenities to survive.

YouTube - Stupid Design
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:10 PM

31,380 posts, read 17,769,814 times
I have never seen Neil deGrasse Tyson being either that funny or that scathing! Loved it!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,470,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Random mutations is not religious. Stop trying to reduce science to the same dogmatic beliefs you have.
The religion of scientifism is as real as any Baptist Tent Revival I've ever heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex
My skin gets darker the longer I stay out in the sun, my body starts feeding on itself to protect my major organs when I am starving, and my pupils change shape depending on the intensity of light.
I don't see how this refutes random mutations.
Sounds like your and Thaskateguy's "Butterfly Effect" debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex
No one claim mutations alone will cause adaptations. Natural selection with random mutations and dna copy errors molds or "engineers" organisms to be better suited for the environment they inhabit.
Actually, I do support your random mutations stance, since if there is no creator and everything in the beginning was without purpose, pointless and blindly indifferent, then somehow blind dice tossing randomness somehow makes great kool-aid sense. It's just that the scientists who've found a more intelligently put together engineered mechanism inside DNA, but cower from moving further by claiming the origin is unknowable, unsolvable or it's a mystery just does'nt somehow complete the picture. Again, ingrained dogma is a strong shackle.

I have not read one publish report stating that DNA can change itself so the organism can adapt to the environment.[/quote]That's the biggest problem, you have'nt read and have refused to read any of it because it conflicts with your own religious dogma of the past randomness. And yes much of it was posted and your University of Google could have brought you so much more. And yet you do have the ability to learn, so learn.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,033,116 times
bluepacific, I don't have time right now since I have an appointment this morning, but I have been looking into computational science and bioinformatics (a little). We use it quite a bit at work. I just didn't recognize the terminology. I've always been an advocate for in silico tools since I'm a veg.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have never seen Neil deGrasse Tyson being either that funny or that scathing! Loved it!
I wonder how black professor Neil deGrasse Tyson really feels about fellow colleague James Watson DNA Pioneer's racist comments just two years ago, about blacks being inferior to whites as a result of evolutionary lucky strike dice tossing ??? Do you think he (Tyson) supports his own black heritage and apparently inferior position on the evolutionary ladder ovcatto ???

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners - Science, News - The Independent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Independent Science
One of the world's most eminent scientists was embroiled in an extraordinary row last night after he claimed that black people were less intelligent than white people and the idea that "equal powers of reason" were shared across racial groups was a delusion.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in the unravelling of DNA who now runs one of America's leading scientific research institutions, drew widespread condemnation for comments he made ahead of his arrival in Britain today for a speaking tour at venues including the Science Museum in London.

The 79-year-old geneticist reopened the explosive debate about race and science in a newspaper interview in which he said Western policies towards African countries were wrongly based on an assumption that black people were as clever as their white counterparts when "testing" suggested the contrary. He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade.

The newly formed Equality and Human Rights Commission, successor to the Commission for Racial Equality, said it was studying Dr Watson's remarks "in full". Dr Watson told The Sunday Times that he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours whereas all the testing says not really". He said there was a natural desire that all human beings should be equal but "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".

His views are also reflected in a book published next week, in which he writes: "There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so."

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
bluepacific, I don't have time right now since I have an appointment this morning, but I have been looking into computational science and bioinformatics (a little). We use it quite a bit at work. I just didn't recognize the terminology. I've always been an advocate for in silico tools since I'm a veg.
Actually I think it's cool and I wish more people would read and understand it better. Can you imagine all the kool responsible science that could come out of it through inventions and other advancements instead of an old school deadend way of looking at things. Even the so-called creationists have'nt a clue on this and they should be held more reprehensible as a result. At least the discussions would be more interesting.

The problem is, environmentally things are going down hill fast and I don't see many satisfying answers to alot of things with science if there are'nt big BUCK$$$ attached to it. Science unfortunately is shackled and controlled by the money thing.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,666,935 times
Where is this going?? Is there a question here somewhere?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM

31,380 posts, read 17,769,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
James Watson racist comments just two years ago, about blacks being inferior to whites as a result of evolutionary lucky strike dice tossing ???
Probably the same as James Watson feels;
I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said. There is no scientific basis for such a belief.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/science/19watson.html

Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,666,935 times
I have been quoted as saying things, I know I didn't say. but oh well. what can ya do?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,394,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I wonder how black professor Neil deGrasse Tyson really feels about fellow colleague James Watson DNA Pioneer's racist comments just two years ago, about blacks being inferior to whites as a result of evolutionary lucky strike dice tossing ??? Do you think he (Tyson) supports his own black heritage and apparently inferior position on the evolutionary ladder ovcatto ???

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners - Science, News - The Independent
I don't see how stating facts makes someone a racist... West Asians have an average IQ higher then white people no body seems to complain when that is brought up....

So west Asians more high IQ children then whites, and whites have more high IQ children then blacks.......
It's people who want to treat entire races as unequal because of "average" scores, instead of looking at the individuals who are the racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates