U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,309,444 times
Reputation: 3659

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
HAHAHAHA! You typed 'infinite regression' into a search engine and saw that the Wikipedia page for it was titled 'infinite regress'!

Do you not understand different forms of words in the English language? This is seriously too funny to be true!

I'm just going to say this: We are on different levels, and I mean that in the most pejorative way possible.
Ahhhh... So despite all your hyperbolic insults, you still don't have one single useful thing to say.

We are indeed on different levels.


By the way, why do you REFUSE to talk about the absence of fossilized transitional life forms?


Please continue enjoying your Kool Aid.





By the way, it has everything to do with the philosophy of the chain of causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 3,088,266 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It is pretty rare to have people argue that ignorance should be considered a point of view.
how i would answer the question:

Q: do i believe in evolution?

A: well i haven't really looked into it past my 5th grade textbooks and what other people say on the issue. i understand that there are missing links in the theory and don't discount there being another explanation. i also don't discount that the theory might be spot on. the thing is that it is not that high up on my list of priorities so i don't give it that much thought.

i suppose you could call that ignorance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 3,088,266 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been to the Olduvai Gorge (cradle of mankind) and talked to the Leakeys. I've also read the Little Golden Book of Bible Stories in my doctor's waiting room, which presented to me exactly the same views of religion that most of my Christians friends use as their "proof" of intelligent design, at pretty much the same level of logic and reason and historical accuracy. Does that make me knowledgeable enough?

cookies are on their way...

btw, did you read the entire op? did you see my brief view on creationism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
 
15,089 posts, read 5,328,334 times
Reputation: 6315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ahhhh... So the absence of hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms is NOT relevant to the credibility of the theory of evolution.
Who thought up the requirement for "hundreds of milions", and who gets to define "transitional"?

Quote:
Gotcha!
You'll have to work harder than that...

Quote:
By all means then, I can claim that you stole $10,000 from me, and need to give it back. I need no evidence. You just did it. Now pay up.
I can't help noticing how your lack of "hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms" suddenly turned into "no evidence". Funny, that.

How do you explain endogenous retroviruses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
136 posts, read 141,447 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ahhhh... So despite all your hyperbolic insults, you still don't have one single useful thing to say.

We are indeed on different levels.


Please continue enjoying your Kool Aid.





By the way, it has everything to do with the philosophy of the chain of causation.
If you could understand what the fallacy of using an argument based on infinite regression is, then you would understand the fault of your argument.

But you do not understand this concept (copying and pasting search results does not equate to an understanding). Your transitional fossils argument is a form of this concept. Let me ask you, rhetorically, why are there "millions" of missing fossils? Shouldn't there be "billions" or "trillions" or even more?

You have exhibited a lack of understanding on logic with your rhetoric. It serves no purpose for me to debate with someone like you. Your biases will always trump logical thinking, no matter how many times I point them out. I have too much experience with debating people of your intellectual level, and it is draining.

In summation, I am not going to respond to you. You get the last word on me, so make it good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,309,444 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Who thought up the requirement for "hundreds of milions", and who gets to define "transitional"?

I can't help noticing how your lack of "hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms" suddenly turned into "no evidence". Funny, that.

How do you explain endogenous retroviruses?
I meant "Gotcha" to mean "I understand."


Now... Does the theory of evolution not, by definition, believe that life forms slowly and microscopically transformed and adapted over billions of years? That means tiny little progressions, not big ones. And that means that there have to be hundreds upon hundreds of billions of transitional life forms. And that means there have to be fossils of at least some of them, doesn't it?

We're not talking about 15-20. We're talking about hundreds of millions in order to make the theory even remotely plausible.


So where are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,309,444 times
Reputation: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
If you could understand what the fallacy of using an argument based on infinite regression is, then you would understand the fault of your argument.

But you do not understand this concept (copying and pasting search results does not equate to an understanding). Your transitional fossils argument is a form of this concept. Let me ask you, rhetorically, why are there "millions" of missing fossils? Shouldn't there be "billions" or "trillions" or even more?

You have exhibited a lack of understanding on logic with your rhetoric. It serves no purpose for me to debate with someone like you. Your biases will always trump logical thinking, no matter how many times I point them out. I have too much experience with debating people of your intellectual level, and it is draining.

In summation, I am not going to respond to you. You get the last word on me, so make it good!
Congratulation on being not only incredibly arrogant, but falsely arrogant. And good work on being closed-minded.

Why can't you explain the absence of fossilized transitional life forms? Does it scare you? Are you afraid to admit that that one single question pretty much shakes your religion to its core?


It's simple causation. If you cannot understand that, you need to ask your 10th Grade Biology teacher about it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,913 posts, read 5,021,638 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the only reason i bothered to bring this up is because it seems to take up some time in presidential debates and people tend to get quite hot under the collar. personally i couldn't think of anything more irrelevant but here is my take on the topic:

i don't believe in evolution like i don't believe in 99% of the subjective nonsense which was taught to me at school! let me just clarify why:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against. unless i have personally had the time to sit down and mull over the facts, i don't really believe in anything! i just cannot take for granted what other people spout as fact. this is not to say that i disagree with darwin's theory just that i reserve the right to not have an opinion. as an atheist though i don't believe in creationism but that's a topic for another thread.

the thing i find puzzling though is how the left wing intellegentsia is uber critical of conservative politicians views on the issue. they spout out darwin's words as undeniable. they never seem to want to bring up any of his later work namely, 'the descent of man' commonly recognized to have been an instrumental idea in the Holocaust.
How is this a "left" issue? It looks more like science versus mythology. It's not even science versus religion because the vast majority of religions accept the science of evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,986,169 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
like your accommodation?
What accommodation might that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,753 posts, read 38,469,220 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
cookies are on their way...

btw, did you read the entire op? did you see my brief view on creationism?
I respond to posts one at a time. You post, I post. Until the novelty wears off, or I get an inexplicable urge to go and get a cookie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top