Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times

Advertisements

the only reason i bothered to bring this up is because it seems to take up some time in presidential debates and people tend to get quite hot under the collar. personally i couldn't think of anything more irrelevant but here is my take on the topic:

i don't believe in evolution like i don't believe in 99% of the subjective nonsense which was taught to me at school! let me just clarify why:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against. unless i have personally had the time to sit down and mull over the facts, i don't really believe in anything! i just cannot take for granted what other people spout as fact. this is not to say that i disagree with darwin's theory just that i reserve the right to not have an opinion. as an atheist though i don't believe in creationism but that's a topic for another thread.

the thing i find puzzling though is how the left wing intellegentsia is uber critical of conservative politicians views on the issue. they spout out darwin's words as undeniable. they never seem to want to bring up any of his later work namely, 'the descent of man' commonly recognized to have been an instrumental idea in the Holocaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
HUH?! I'm confused. Ok, did you watch those shows about Ardi on Discovery?? All I'm saying is that theories can and should be analyzed by students but they should be taught as theories that are waiting for the next new theory to come along and prove or challenge it. I also agree that when we teach the history of science, we need to be more indepth about what happened and how it impacted other bits of history and/or science. But to discount teaching anyone to understand a theory we may not all agree with is saying that only one or two views must be taught as gold. The problem with that is the same problem we had when the Roman Catholic Church wiped through Europe, killing, burning, and outlawing anything that they did not have printed in a book that they put together of careful choosing of certain chapters ( I recall learning in church as a child that the King James version was the only version to believe). When people learned the earth was round, it took a lot longer to get people to come around to that idea because they went after anyone with that idea and said it was wrong because there was no proof. As long as someone kept passing that idea on, eventually technology was available to prove or disprove that theory, and in this case, proved it. By teaching everyone that evolution is a theory and allowing them to explore it, as technology advances, they will be able to expand on that theory when we no longer exsist, one way or the other, in ways we can not imagine.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Thank you for telling us that you have never taken up your time researching this subject and you reserve the right to have no opinion. Now we all know how much attention we need to pay to your opinions. By the way, who is this "Darwin", whom you have never studied, and where did you get the idea about his "later works"?

However, you have obviously "researched all the evidence for and against" all other areas of interest deeply enough to conclude that the conservative are always right and the liberals are always wrong.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Ahh, the old anti-Descartes argument. "I don't think, therefore I am."

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the only reason i bothered to bring this up is because it seems to take up some time in presidential debates and people tend to get quite hot under the collar. personally i couldn't think of anything more irrelevant but here is my take on the topic:

i don't believe in evolution like i don't believe in 99% of the subjective nonsense which was taught to me at school! let me just clarify why:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against.
Do you ONLY believe in things that you have the time to research all the evidence for and against? Judging by your post, I'd bet not, so I'll just call hypocrisy right here from the start.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 10,838 times
Quote:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against.
Why start a thread about it then?

Quote:
unless i have personally had time to sit down and mull over the facts, i don't really believe in anything
Have you gotten around to believing that Saturn exists or are you going to suspend judgement until you have time to peruse the research on the subject?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I bet 58robbo wishes he had never opened this thread. I bet if he asks a moderator nicely, he can have it deleted.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Do you ONLY believe in things that you have the time to research all the evidence for and against? Judging by your post, I'd bet not, so I'll just call hypocrisy right here from the start.

i make a call depending on the issue. what i wouldn't do is criticise or argue with someone using conventional wisdom as the basis for my argument.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
I'm still waiting to see the hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms. They have to be somewhere in order to make evolution plausible.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet 58robbo wishes he had never opened this thread. I bet if he asks a moderator nicely, he can have it deleted.

let me guess, the thought police? thanks jturd88 for putting thoughts and words in my mouth! i'd kinda prefer it if this thread could stay open for those who understand the underlying issue ie challenging conventional wisdom, to comment. evidently you have nothing to add so perhaps you should go play in traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates