U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM

589 posts, read 363,376 times
Default Retirees are bad for Florida (North vs South)

It's funny. For a long time it has been trendy for people in Florida to make fun of the higher taxed Northern States, such as New York, Pennsylvania, etc. We always laugh about what idiots they must be to tax their citizens as much as they do. But, let's look at the real story. Before our retirees move to Florida, they have held jobs, and had careers in these Northern States. So, for 40 years, they have been paying taxes to those States. Taxes that those same states have benefited from. These Northern States have used that tax base to help develop school systems that far outrank Florida's school systems, and community services that put our 'services' to shame. Then, once they retire, they move to Florida where they immediately start putting demands on our State resources. Resources that they have not paid one dollar to build or support, their entire working careers. (applies to transplanted retirees, not retirees that have lived and worked in Florida)

The Northern States get the last laugh on us. They get to collect all of the taxes from our retirees during their working careers, and then send them down to us to take care of, once they aren't paying taxes anymore. So, New York gets the benefit of their hard work and tax payments, while we get the cost of taking care of them, with no benefits in return.

And once these retirees arrive here, they could not care less about the future of this State. They will NEVER support any initiative that will take more than 3 months in the future to develop. Their plan is to move here, put demands on our resources, pay nothing for these resources, and then hope to all be safely in their graves before the cost of their gluttony and greed comes due. Mean spirited, self serving, and short sighted.

It wouldn't bother me if I never saw another transplanted retiree in my life.

With the combination of the conservative tax philosophy in this state, and these retirees unwillingness pay for anything that they can't personally immediately benefit from, Florida would be a third World Country if it wasn't for the tourism revenue we can generate.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-14-2009 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Moved from JAX, FLORIDA forum.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM

7,827 posts, read 8,234,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
It's funny. For a long time it has been trendy for people in Florida to make fun of the higher taxed Northern States, such as New York, Pennsylvania, etc. We always laugh about what idiots they must be to tax their citizens as much as they do. But, let's look at the real story. Before our retirees move to Florida, they have held jobs, and had careers in these Northern States. So, for 40 years, they have been paying taxes to those States. Taxes that those same states have benefited from. These Northern States have used that tax base to help develop school systems that far outrank Florida's school systems, and community services that put our 'services' to shame. Then, once they retire, they move to Florida where they immediately start putting demands on our State resources. Resources that they have not paid one dollar to build or support, their entire working careers. (applies to transplanted retirees, not retirees that have lived and worked in Florida)

The Northern States get the last laugh on us. They get to collect all of the taxes from our retirees during their working careers, and then send them down to us to take care of, once they aren't paying taxes anymore. So, New York gets the benefit of their hard work and tax payments, while we get the cost of taking care of them, with no benefits in return.

And once these retirees arrive here, they could not care less about the future of this State. They will NEVER support any initiative that will take more than 3 months in the future to develop. Their plan is to move here, put demands on our resources, pay nothing for these resources, and then hope to all be safely in their graves before the cost of their gluttony and greed comes due. Mean spirited, self serving, and short sighted.

It wouldn't bother me if I never saw another transplanted retiree in my life.

With the combination of the conservative tax philosophy in this state, and these retirees unwillingness pay for anything that they can't personally immediately benefit from, Florida would be a third World Country if it wasn't for the tourism revenue we can generate.
On the other hand many uneducated Floridians have started lawncutting and pool cleaning businesses. They have actually become sucessful business people in their own right.

If it wasn't for transplants they would be poor rednecks.

They also help keep the economy going. They have disposeable income and eat out and spend money in stores when others are cutting back.

FL is a service industry state with many low paying jobs. You can blame that on that backward way this state has been run for the last 40 yrs. One of the worst school systems in the country has turned out generation after generation of Flori-duh-ridians.

I do agree with you lots of people laugh at Flori-duh.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,763,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
... It wouldn't bother me if I never saw another transplanted retiree in my life.

I've got no pony in this show, but aren't they much like tourists, since you brought them up? They bring a lot of money to the state, employing millions of service and construction workers, yet they don't burden the state much at all. Schools aren't burdened by them; hospitals make money on them; they don't require much in the way of police and social services. They pay property and sales taxes just like everyone else, but require fewer public services. It just seems to me they would bring more to the state than what they take.

And it seems that Florida tax laws have been established to encourage retired people to live there. It must be working. Floridians enjoy one of the lowest tax burdens in the U.S. If it's not enough, lobby for a state income tax.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM

7,827 posts, read 8,234,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've got no pony in this show, but aren't they much like tourists, since you brought them up? They bring a lot of money to the state, employing millions of service and construction workers, yet they don't burden the state much at all. Schools aren't burdened by them; hospitals make money on them; they don't require much in the way of police and social services. They pay property and sales taxes just like everyone else, but require fewer public services. It just seems to me they would bring more to the state than what they take.

And it seems that Florida tax laws have been established to encourage retired people to live there. It must be working. Floridians enjoy one of the lowest tax burdens in the U.S. If it's not enough, lobby for a state income tax.
That's right. It isn't the retirees driving around with no car insurance either. They bring in money and use little of the services(schools are excellent exanmple).

Most pay cash for homes so they're not going into foreclosure and they keep those homes neat. The only drugs they do are for medical purposes and they're quiet.

OP made ignorant statements. My MIL was in a rehab/nursing home and one woman working there was whining about the "yankees" raising her taxes.

All her patients were old "yankees" in there because they had a stroke or hip surgery....she was too stupid to realize it was due to the "old yankees" that she had a job, and a good paying job for here.

Otherwise she would be stocking shelves at Walmart if she was lucky.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 AM

11,100 posts, read 10,955,536 times
Dont fret Nomad. It all evens out. For every "yankee" retiree transplant your state gets, my state gets 2 Floridian retirees.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM

You are completely delunsional Dublin.

You say they all have disposal income. What a crock! A few might, but most of them are living on fixed incomes, have very little disposable income, live in condo's so that they don't need their lawn cut, and can't think any further ahead then two or three days. And the few of them that might actually have a little disposable income, certainly aren't the least bit interested in spending it to help anyone else.

Granted, they may not put as much of a demand on SOME of the services that younger folks do, but they give back almost nothing in return.

They don't care what happens to Florida in the future, so they never vote for any initiative that would benefit the States future citizens. They're all here to take, not to give back.

New roads? No way! More money for schools and students? No way! Community services for anyone under 75 years of age? Are you crazy!

The State of Florida spends $10.00 on senior citizen programs, for every $1.00 that it spends on childrens programs. The State of Florida ranks 50th, out of 50 States in per capita student spending. It's a moral outrage. All of those stats don't happen because of all the 'disposable income" that these 'giving' old folks have. It's because they wouldn't vote to benefit anyone else other then themselves, if their lives depended on it.

As I said before. They are mean spirited, self serving, and short sighted.

Couple the retirees attitudes with the ignorance of the many rednecks in the State, who can easily be manipulated by right wing fear mongering media, (if you vote to help someone other then yourself, you're a communist) and you end up with a state with terrible schools, a crumbling infastructure, high crime rates, and no plan for the future.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM

2mares,

I don't have any stats about the number of Floridians relocating to Tennessee. You may be right.

But, I do know that for the past 40 years, Florida has been among the fastest growing States in the Country. Growing a lot faster then Tennessee.

So, even though some of our old farts may be heading your way, a lot more are coming down here from other states. We're definitely getting a lot more then we're giving.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 AM

23,901 posts, read 10,680,294 times
I'm new to Florida, but I'll add what I've noticed.

I know lots of locals, most of whom work in the service industry. Most of them love the snowbirds and other retirees, because they keep them in business during the off season. From my understanding, we wouldn't have half of the places we do here without their money in the winter.

However, my new favorite bumper sticker here is "If its tourist season, Why can't we shoot them?"

hehe

Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 7,506 times
You have it backwards, people with no children pay more taxes than they consume, and vice-versa. The senior citizens are still paying property taxes for schools they aren't using.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Snowbirds are kind of a hybrid between retirees and tourists.

I agree that they give the economy a small temporary bump when they first get here.

But overall, they don't see Florida as their home, don't work and pay taxes here, and aren't too excited about paying more for anything, in order to stimulate future growth and improvement.

This State has very few citizens that care about making the future better then the present. A lot of the rednecks, (as Dublin calls them) and service industry workers are living paycheck to pay check, so they can't afford to give any thought to the future. They just want to know where their next meal is coming from.

And the retirees won't even buy green bananas.

This state has far too many resources to be ranked as low as it is in so many "quality of life" catagories. Short sighted retirees are a major part of that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates