Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,269,122 times

Advertisements

I personally believe there are some truth or they would not exist, similar to rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,155,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I personally believe there are some truth or they would not exist, similar to rumors.
Well when the stereotype happens to be in every culture, everywhere on the planet, including ones that do not have contact with one another, it usually turns out to have some truth too it.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM

871 posts, read 1,626,124 times
even if there is some truth, it can end up being a lie in context of how it is used. it depends. for instance, a stereotype can be created about one group but not another when it may apply to both or more. it's scapegoating.

some stereotypes are even totally illegitimate. some stereotypes can be created from bias though passed off as "fact" when it really has no basis in fact but is a personal opinion etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,592,066 times
Of course they would. People instinctively see patterns, even if the patterns are nonexistent, or if they are reaching a conclusion from insufficient data.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,688,686 times
You mean like "Last one in is a rotten egg"?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,069,896 times
I don't know if you could say they were truths. mabye based off of an example, or even based off of a sample, but for it to be a truth, it would be an absolute.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,688,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I don't know if you could say they were truths. mabye based off of an example, or even based off of a sample, but for it to be a truth, it would be an absolute.
Truth is never absolute. Well, hardly ever. It is nearly impossible to compose a statement that does not allow for some exceptional circumstance to reduce it to less than absolute. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle takes care of that, but of course, that may not be true.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM

871 posts, read 1,626,124 times
i listed an example of a skewed stereotype. i'm sure everyone has heard this one, "asian women are submissive."

you would think at first glance, this may have some historical truth to it but take into account how it's used and the bias that may have prompted the stereotype in the first place.

why is there no stereotype of middle-eastern women who have even less rights and even demanded less rights from men not have this stereotype from the western world?? it's an extreme sexist society more so than east asian culture before or now.

i think it's because east asians are the most exotic and peculiar to westerners so would be the object of scrutiny more.

this is an example of how stereotypes can be skewed, so therefore can be even purposefully used to 'color' a situation or 'peg' a certain group while ignoring the rest. there is a lot more of many that most people are never able to see the discrepancies or how or why they were formed in the first place and take it as absolute truth. of course, there are stereotypes that are not skewed and tend to be rather universal.

Last edited by rory00; 10-20-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,546,189 times
Stereotyping is a weapon used to demonize people. Happens all the time. Whenever someone throws out a stereotype the response is usually to stereotype in return. Truth is, stereotypical people are the exception and not the rule, but when things get nasty twixt folks, the aim is to portray all of either side of the argument in a stereotypical manner, in an attempt to foster contempt.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,797,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Usually half-truths which people predisposed towards hate cling to.
Loving heats seem immune to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates