Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Let's explore "dumb blonde" as an example. This probably originated in Hollywood casting choices for movies.

Maybe a woman with blonde hair was more likely to advance up the promotional ladder than a comparably competent brunette, and accordingly, would be more likely to occupy a station at which she was dumber than the brunettes who attained the same promotions.

Or maybe a woman who would bleach her hair would be less intelligent than one who was content to leave it the natural color.

Both of those are hypothetical, but may have contributed to the perception that blondes are dumb, a perception that was slingshotted by Hollywood pictures, and ingrained in our culture. Nevertheless, it is highly unlikely that blondes have a lower IQ than brunettes. (Even though they probably do have more fun.) Given that blondes are more likely of Nordic or Germanic ancestry, whose cultures have become more advanced, they may actually be smarter.

One of my favorite "dumb blonde" scenes actually revealed the dumb blonde making the only intelligent remark in the entire film. It was one of those WWII farces, in which a soldier had sneaked his girl friend (arch-moron Marie Wilson) into the barracks, and was found despite an effort to conceal herself.

Sargeant: "Why were you hiding under that soldier's bed?"
Blonde: "I didn't want anybody to find me!"

Last edited by jtur88; 10-21-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Correcting actress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
No, they would not exist if they weren't some kernel of truth to them. The problem is when they are exageratted and applied to every member of that race, person who has blonde hair, etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
If there were no stereotypes there would be no comedians.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I personally believe there are some truth or they would not exist, similar to rumors.
Stereotypes are based on generalizations. And generalizations do have an element of truth. Stereotypes aren't always bad either (although the vast majority of them are meant to be).

Truth of it is, we all stereotype things because we all have to make generalizations about things so that we can mentally organize this mad world. The problem with them is that they are not always true and are in fact are usually more made up than anything. Part of the problem with stereotypes is the "urban legend" element of them. That is the problem with them is their truth. When we try to apply something especially to another person, we must make sure that they are absolutely true, or at least more true than stereotypes end up being.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM

8 posts, read 14,405 times
Of course, they would! Stereotypes are usually there to put people of one group down!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
I've worked a bit at not stereotyping people in the past but now I find there's plenty of truth in stereotypes. It's natural...as simple as dogs acting like dogs and cats acting like cats.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
All stereotypes are not negative. Canadians are stereotyped as tidy and polite.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM

324 posts, read 572,652 times
Ehh..

I think stereotypes are more of a complex issue than what people make of it.

I think stereotypes are reinforced by pressure, expectations, sub-cultures and so on...

I think stereotypes form by and from history. You could basically say this, "As a result of ________
_, Hispanic people were only expected, learned and/or known to do this, which led onto the formulation of this stereotypes which still lives on today.

I think those might be how stereotypes get formed, in SIMPLEST TERMS that is.

Obviously this is just a theory and so I'm assuming more than anything else. Hence the, "I think.." It just seems logical to take a sociological approach to this subject.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
When ever I see a Pit Bull, my reaction is the same. I watch them closely. Is that a stereotype?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM

324 posts, read 572,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
When ever I see a Pit Bull, my reaction is the same. I watch them closely. Is that a stereotype?

Yes. Of course that's a stereotype. How do pitbulls come agressive in the first place? Aren't they used for dog fighting? So ironically, the breed is criticized for being more agressive yet people FORCE them to fight for entertainment?? I'm confused. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe they typically are agressive and that's why they are unfortunately used for dog fighting..

Either way, I do agree it's stereotyping. I just feel bad for the dogs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates