U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM

7,090 posts, read 7,158,518 times

Advertisements

Everything will shame anyone who lets it affect them. It depends what the subject is, for things in the past shame is counter productive. I don't want to accept when people did in the past as good, but people have done it and we should use it as a lesson to never repeat it again. However, that doesn't mean I should feel shamed about it like I somehow either did it or I looked the other way when it happened for things I was never even born for.

For things now, what people let them shame them is what they accepted and didn't like while being unable to do anything to do anything about it. Unfortunately, shame does very little to actually help...it often is an irrational emotion that leads too much in the opposite direction trying to "fix" the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM

8,871 posts, read 11,101,756 times
(1) Along with pop culture and worshipping tabloid celebrities...electing a "Pop Culture President". As Americans we are fascinated with charismatic personas and smooth talkers. It began with Reagan, skipped a presidency with Bush Sr., picked up again with Clinton, not sure how Bush Jr. got in there, and now Obama. We keep electing professional politicians who are completely out of touch with America, make empty and idle promises that sound good on paper, and surround themselves with "Yes Men", and when the yes men say no even once, they're fired. Maybe one day this country will get it right, but I doubt it, a majority of American's are too busy putting stock into flash over substance. An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance in our society.

(2) The Nobel Peace Prize Committee

(3) Racism

(4) Homelessness - There is no excuse for homeless families and children in this country. The money spent on war, space exploration, corporate welfare, and pork barrell spending is enough to ensure no one should ever be without a home, health care, or food.

(5) Allowing the big three car makers to get away with producing inferior products for decades, going broke, and then laying off thousands of American workers while the CEO's continue to get rich.

(6) Allowing corporations to bail out and open up sweatshops in third world countries while reaping bigger profits and pulling the rug out from American workers.

(7) Politicians from both parties who allow the drug trade to prosper.

(8) Pandering to arrogant, self-serving celebrities and athletes...E Network, ESPN, MTV, VH1, and the all the other networks that cater and make excuses for poor conduct and bad behavior.

(9) Opportunistic attorney's who have enabled frivolous lawsuits for nearly everything that is a way of life in America. They are destroying the liberty and freedoms of this country.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,773,494 times
Very well stated. I wish you would start a separate thread for discussion of the first and last items.

I need to vent my outrage but don't know where to begin.

The very sight of Joy Behar, much less the sound of her voice enrages me today--for starters

ETA:

coolhand68--

Take a look a this>>>
http://www.sacbee.com/846/story/2268372.html (broken link)

It's somewhat gratifying that 'someone' is trying to focus on the forest and not just the trees. jmo.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-21-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM

6,686 posts, read 5,557,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I agree. I think that many years from now when people look back at the "early 2000's" they will shake their heads when they read about the thousands of people who rotted away in prison for possessing marijuana and other drugs while alcohol, an obviously more dangerous substance, was socially acceptable and legal. They will look back and see the foolishness of the war on drugs. They will think about why we thought pohibition would work with drugs when we failed at trying it with alcohol. They will wonder why it took us so many years to make drugs legal when the foolishness and hypocrisy about it was so obvious. They will read about how quickly and drastically the crime rate dropped in the USA and Mexico after drugs were made legal. They will see how the rate of drug use did not rise after decriminalization but how it dropped significantly.
Hopefully, they will look back and wonder why the hell we ever bothered with something as pointless and masterbatory as drugs/alcohol. Hopefully they will have risen above such nonsense. Although I am an advocate of personal freedom (including with drugs/alcohol), I've yet to see any good come from substance abuse. On the other hand, I've seen it destroy the lives of several friends and several of my parent's friends.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:35 AM

49,806 posts, read 46,924,638 times
skin tone.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM

6,686 posts, read 5,557,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
(1) Along with pop culture and worshipping tabloid celebrities...electing a "Pop Culture President". As Americans we are fascinated with charismatic personas and smooth talkers. It began with Reagan, skipped a presidency with Bush Sr., picked up again with Clinton, not sure how Bush Jr. got in there, and now Obama. We keep electing professional politicians who are completely out of touch with America, make empty and idle promises that sound good on paper, and surround themselves with "Yes Men", and when the yes men say no even once, they're fired. Maybe one day this country will get it right, but I doubt it, a majority of American's are too busy putting stock into flash over substance. An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance in our society.

(2) The Nobel Peace Prize Committee

(3) Racism

(4) Homelessness - There is no excuse for homeless families and children in this country. The money spent on war, space exploration, corporate welfare, and pork barrell spending is enough to ensure no one should ever be without a home, health care, or food.

(5) Allowing the big three car makers to get away with producing inferior products for decades, going broke, and then laying off thousands of American workers while the CEO's continue to get rich.

(6) Allowing corporations to bail out and open up sweatshops in third world countries while reaping bigger profits and pulling the rug out from American workers.

(7) Politicians from both parties who allow the drug trade to prosper.

(8) Pandering to arrogant, self-serving celebrities and athletes...E Network, ESPN, MTV, VH1, and the all the other networks that cater and make excuses for poor conduct and bad behavior.

(9) Opportunistic attorney's who have enabled frivolous lawsuits for nearly everything that is a way of life in America. They are destroying the liberty and freedoms of this country.
Great post. I think "An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance in our society" should be pasted on billboards across the country. It should be tattooed on every forehead. This is probably the most quotable sentence I've read on this forum.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,469,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Very well stated. I wish you would start a separate thread for discussion of the first and last items.
I wish you wouldn't. Neither of them are very relevant.

The starstruck media has changed only in technical delivery systems since people tightrope walked across Niagara Falls.

Frivolous lawsuits account for a tiny tiny portion of the money that changes hands in this country. The predatory lawyers are simply nibbling the scraps of what the society has harvested. Namely, fear.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish you wouldn't. Neither of them are very relevant.

The starstruck media has changed only in technical delivery systems since people tightrope walked across Niagara Falls.

Frivolous lawsuits account for an unbelievably tiny portion of the money that changes hands in this country. The predatory lawyers are simply nibbling the scraps of what the society has harvested. Namely, fear.
hmmm--Perhaps you have discussed these topics on other occasions?

'That's how things are'.

'Free societies don't last long', etc

Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,469,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
hmmm--Perhaps you have discussed these topics on other occasions?

'That's how things are'.

'Free societies don't last long', etc
Sorry, I didn't mean that they are not topics worth discussing, but only that they fall far short of being things that future generations will take note of.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean that they are not topics worth discussing, but only that they fall far short of being things that future generations will take note of.
Ok--there is just too much 'terrible' news at present.

More missing children, another college student has apparently been abducted, healthcare, war and the list goes on.

I know I don't have 'a right' to dictate to anyone/any part of the entertainment industry on what is produced but I hold it/them accountable to some degree for the stinking, putrid mess that is killing us all.

I know that morality cannot/should not be legislated but on days like today--I would be in favor of that very thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates