Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times

Advertisements

In general people who are into firearms and hunting tend to be losers. Why is there such a fetish for these things when they have never been linked to anyone successful?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
You are kidding right?
The list of Presidents, successful businessmen, famous people of all kinds, ect is pretty profound. People from all walks of life, from the poorest to the wealthiest have had a passion for both hunting & firearms. You must think that the very founders of our nation were losers, to a man they were hunters & gunowners. Heck even people who dont like them often lie & say they do to bolster their public appeal, Bill Clinton & John Kerry come to mind.
One of the first and most sucessful of American industries was firearms development & manufacture. The names Sam Colt, John Browning, Oliver Winchester, Eliaphet Remington, John Marlin, Smith & Wesson, Ethan Allen and more are those of men who's names are not only household words but were made very wealthy & powerful from firearms.
In a very real way guns made America sucessful. This country would be a much lesser place if not for the successful nature of those who value firearms & freedom, the two are intertwined throughout our history & inseparable.

Never ceases to amaze me the clueless ignorance some people willfully express in their irational unfounded hatred of things that have been valued by free men & women for millenia.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
In general people who are into firearms and hunting tend to be losers. Why is there such a fetish for these things when they have never been linked to anyone successful?
LMAO< Tin pretty much beat me to the punch on this one. Oh my! This is RICH! What a completely ignorant thread.. I can't wait to see the slew of people who can actually agree with this. I'm ticking the specific posters off in my head right now. Nobody successful has ever been a person who was a firearms enthusiast aye? Well I guess that is a matter of how one measures success. Still, that's a pretty bold statement. I must admit to never having heard the term 'gun nerd' before. I kinda like it. Just for giggles and grins I would like to see numbers of 'losers' who are into the shooting ports stacked up against 'losers' who are into , oh, say , video games? I don't recall anyone 'into' the latter ever having been elected POTUS, sitting on the Supreme Court,commanding armies or running major corporations and such, I'm a firearms enthusiast, I own my own business, have a beautiful family , a nice house, my son is as avid a shooter as I am, and is a great student, stays out of trouble, and is an all around great kid. He is doing so well in competitive shooting that he has earned sponsors to support him in the community. He is only , just turned 13. That makes him a loser? Sheesh dude, get a life.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
This dude has GOT to be trollin'!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
This dude has GOT to be trollin'!
Yea. probably another one post wonder.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
thats strange. those rich men in mississippi i was with, w/rooms full of trophies from big money african safari trips, you mean those were losers i was hanging with? help me out, what does a winner look like?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Instead of just wiggling and giggling, why doesn't somebody provide us with a list of enthusiastic gun advocates who have also excelled in some other field. Besides Dick Cheney.

The NRA claims four million members, which is one out of fifty adult Americans. So one out of fifty American university professors should be NRA members, and it would be easy for you to name a bunch of them. Or one out of 50 members of symphony orchestras. Or one out of fifty elected members of city councils. Or one out of fifty members of the New York Stock Exchange. Or one out of fifty Academy Award winning actors, or medal-winning Olympians. Name some.

Unless spending every weekend at a shooting range doesn't leave enough time to pursue any other activity.

If somebody posts an OP that you disagree with, you have two choices: Provide data or evidence that they are wrong, or insult them and hope they go away. So far, we have the predictable response.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-11-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Three assumed premises in a question posed in the "Great Debates" forum, and provocative ones at that. Nice job. I thought the whole point of the "Great Debates" forum was for serious discussions on serious issues. This kind of "let's start a flame war" question belongs in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Instead of just wiggling and giggling, why doesn't somebody provide us with a list of enthusiastic gun advocates who have also excelled in some other field. Besides Dick Cheney.

The NRA claims four million members, which is one out of fifty adult Americans. So one out of fifty American university professors should be NRA members, and it would be easy for you to name a bunch of them. Or one out of 50 members of symphony orchestras. Or one out of fifty elected members of city councils. Or one out of fifty members of the New York Stock Exchange. Or one out of fifty Academy Award winning actors, or medal-winning Olympians. Name some.

Unless spending every weekend at a shooting range doesn't leave enough time to pursue any other activity.

If somebody posts an OP that you disagree with, you have two choices: Provide data or evidence that they are wrong, or insult them and hope they go away. So far, we have the predictable response.
"A list of enthusiastic gun advocates that have also excelled in some other field". Before I get into that, it would seem that the criteria you list as "some other field' must be something associated with a liberal and/or 'progressive' personality? University professor? Symphony conductor? "Award winning' actor. (ala Susan Sarandon perhaps) Charlton Heston springs to mind for that one, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, there's a few "award winning actors". Theodore Roosevelt, avid hunter, shooter and outdoorsman. Hardly a "loser". I don't hang around the NYSE, so that one leaves me blank, but I am certain there are avid shooters in it's ranks, Ronald Reagan was an avid supporter of the shooting sports,as to Olympic athletes, you do realize that shooting is an Olympic event, in many disciplines? As to insulting the OP, well, pardon me all to hell. The OP IS insulting in it's own right, as it blithely states that being a shooting enthusiast makes a person a "loser". That covers a lot of ground, and can be taken personally by a LOT of people. Myself included. However, if someone wishes to label me a loser because I enjoy the shooting sports, they are free to do so. I don't feel like a loser, and I'm in pretty good company as a shooting enthusiast.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
We like playing with high powered toys. We enjoy our sport as much as you like playing with yourself in your mother's basement while reading Marvel comics and swapping World of Warcraft tips with your butt buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates