Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
I'll let you in on a little secret, Asian women aren't considered more desirable at all. The reason why some guys seem more drawn to them is because they know that asian women are far easier especially if you're a white male. Thats why so many white losers head over to Asia to become some bogus English teacher, they can't get girls in their own countries but in Asia they know they'll be superstars.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret, Asian women aren't considered more desirable at all. The reason why some guys seem more drawn to them is because they know that asian women are far easier especially if you're a white male. Thats why so many white losers head over to Asia to become some bogus English teacher, they can't get girls in their own countries but in Asia they know they'll be superstars.
That is no secret at all. The fact others believe it tells me they don't notice much in society or quite dense. Asians represent the antithesis of what is attractive to most western societies. when i say asian, i am referring to oriental asians.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
bek we dont wana just look at em and worship them that is what white girls are for.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
thank you for your honesty and being an example of american views. we know asians are not american. haha!
I do believe there are more non Asian in America then Asian's themselves. That was what the sentence ment obviously. If your going to debate atleast THINK before you speak

Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
But that does not explain why they are not considered for roles where, for example, the best friend of the main character can be of any race. They also are not included in the role of wife/girlfriend of any main characters.

I understand the submissive "stereotype" but the reality is quite different. Given the number of men in Hollywood who have Asian wives/girlfriends (in front of and behind the camera), why aren't Asian actresses being represented?

There are several films were the actress's role can be filled by a woman of any race and those parts have been filled by Black or Latin actresses (ie The Rich Man's Wife with Halle Berry, Fools Rush In with Salma Hayek, The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston, Mission Impossible II with Thandie Newton, almost ALL films with Jennifer Lopez, among others)
this does not just affect asian women but apply to asians overall in north america.

there is a bit of a difference in cultural views from north americans and some other countries. there is also the other difference such as germany where they prefer their men larger and more muscular and where black men are found to be very attractive. i also don't think there is anything wrong with american views or tastes, it is just different like others.

this example is of france, though of course not everyone is going to have the same opinion in france as well but it does show a difference in culture and what they find attractive or not.

Quote:
The Asian Image: france
The perception of Asians here is positive on the whole. For example, they are compared favorably to Arabs who are seen as loud and quarrelsome. Asians have a reputation for being hard-working, quiet, successful and well-adjusted. "Asian children make brilliant students," said Micaela Sanchez, a junior-high teacher. "I have three Chinese students, and they are all very serious."
Asian economic success may be even more visible in Paris than in the U.S. because Chinese merchants, who open many stores and restaurants in the French capitol, comprise the largest segment of the Asian community's success stories.
Asian males also enjoy a better social image than their American counterparts. French women consider Asian men exotic, refined and -- get this -- good lovers, according to Sanchez whose ex-husband is Chinese.
"In the United States there is a lot of emphasis on physical strength and appearance, so tall and muscular Caucasian men are more appreciated than Asian men," says Mayako Yamamoto, a Japanese student who lives in Paris but has visited America several times. "The values here are different. You don't have to be tall and strong to be popular. They like you to be gentle and understanding, and Asians are gentle. You also need to be charming, intelligent, seductive, sensual and stylish. I think that in the States, Caucasians always serve as the reference points. You are always compared to them instead of being judged as you are or compared to other Asians like in France. That's why I feel more comfortable here."
Asian physiques don't appear as unusual because the French are generally shorter and slimmer than Americans.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
What exactly do you mean by that? Are you implying that Asians look "strange" or something?
i'm saying that many westerners often objectify and fetishize asians in varying degrees.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
white girls are the gold standard, the certified trophy girl worldwide.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
white girls are the gold standard, the certified trophy girl worldwide.
everyone knows this but there will be those who have tastes that differ, even if it's a minority. that's natural too.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
Maybe they are beautiful but have a racial predispostion to lack of acting talent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates