U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,413,749 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe they are beautiful but have a racial predispostion to lack of acting talent?
there are good actors in asia but i think it's that most asians are more subdued and that doesn't fit in well with america's style on film. i mean there are asians who can depending on the person.

 
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,201 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Reputation: 60090
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
there are good actors in asia but i think it's that most asians are more subdued and that doesn't fit in well with america's style on film. i mean there are asians who can depending on the person.
I was being sarcastic.
 
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 PM
 
737 posts, read 1,443,956 times
Reputation: 433
Better question why don't you see more in other cultures period. They have there large amount in their country. In Japan they have lots of Japaneses stars. In China they have Chinese, in Greece they are from Greece so why the big deal about Asians? (This dosen't just apply to Americans and Europeans its in all cultures.) Why is it if it is America they got to be different then any of the other countries. Of course Europe was included in this but why would they even be included?

Someone here also said Americans were imports I do believe? If you look at history you will see that most people are imports only Americans would of been the most recent.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,413,749 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Better question why don't you see more in other cultures period. They have there large amount in their country. In Japan they have lots of Japaneses stars. In China they have Chinese, in Greece they are from Greece so why the big deal about Asians? (This dosen't just apply to Americans and Europeans its in all cultures.) Why is it if it is America they got to be different then any of the other countries. Of course Europe was included in this but why would they even be included?

Someone here also said Americans were imports I do believe? If you look at history you will see that most people are imports only Americans would of been the most recent.
i think it's because of the multicultural moniker, so they wonder prematurely before the goose is cooked why asians are not so visible in the media.

every culture evolves a certain way and america has also. i predict when asians are seen as just people who are people but unique just as themselves instead of objectified is when the world becomes more international than it is today. people will say that it is already but actually it's in the first stages. think of the international airports as a microcosm of an example, no one thinks twice about all the different people or races or look or form of dress they see. my younger brother saw me off at the airport and while waiting in queue, he told me how their was an air of wonder and excitement in the air, like he was on top looking down and feeling the connection like never before (world connection) like he never thought of in that way before or noticed. the feeling for him just increased as we moved from domestic to the international sector of the airport. he had a feeling of wonder, respect and pride come over him for the entire world. the upward surge though we may seem divided by other things that unites us all, each trying and doing in our part of the world and connected there. the pursuit of life. i think this loftier perspective is way in the future and in the case of america, either americans adopt that mindframe on their own or more asians immigrate. i don't think the latter would be the case as much. i think just the global world will just become that, living in their countries but more global minded than most are today. it's still in the beginning, not at the end. despite this, there will always be people that lack vision or want to reverse everything or can never understand or see at a more humanistic level at how we(the world) are interconnected but diverse which is beautiful.

Last edited by rory00; 10-24-2009 at 01:45 AM..
 
Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?
Some people like different things. Some don't care one way or the other. Sometimes people prefer someone with acting ability over someone who looks good. It all varies. Ask 100 people, you'll probably get 100 different opinions.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Norwood, MN
1,828 posts, read 3,279,224 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How many of the top stars in Bolliwood are Latina? There aren't that many asians in the US for starters.

Also, Lucy Liu was named People magazines sexiest woman a while back.

Top 5 Asian Actresses in Hollywood

FYI - Sandra Oh is not attractive.
Probably because they are intelligent and actually wants a job that challenges them.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,560,471 times
Reputation: 949
Ming Na . Wow !
 
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Probably because they are intelligent and actually wants a job that challenges them.
Take ANY screen play, and count the number of lines a lead character has. Now...memorize their entire part. Actors are NOT stupid by any means.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 AM
 
737 posts, read 1,443,956 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i think it's because of the multicultural moniker, so they wonder prematurely before the goose is cooked why asians are not so visible in the media.

every culture evolves a certain way and america has also. i predict when asians are seen as just people who are people but unique just as themselves instead of objectified is when the world becomes more international than it is today. people will say that it is already but actually it's in the first stages. think of the international airports as a microcosm of an example, no one thinks twice about all the different people or races or look or form of dress they see. my younger brother saw me off at the airport and while waiting in queue, he told me how their was an air of wonder and excitement in the air, like he was on top looking down and feeling the connection like never before (world connection) like he never thought of in that way before or noticed. the feeling for him just increased as we moved from domestic to the international sector of the airport. he had a feeling of wonder, respect and pride come over him for the entire world. the upward surge though we may seem divided by other things that unites us all, each trying and doing in our part of the world and connected there. the pursuit of life. i think this loftier perspective is way in the future and in the case of america, either americans adopt that mindframe on their own or more asians immigrate. i don't think the latter would be the case as much. i think just the global world will just become that, living in their countries but more global minded than most are today. it's still in the beginning, not at the end. despite this, there will always be people that lack vision or want to reverse everything or can never understand or see at a more humanistic level at how we(the world) are interconnected but diverse which is beautiful.
Why is it that we have to have a huge celebrity to validate ourselves never needed one before but as soon as celebrity status became an issue this is what we need? I'm not one to look at a person and be judgmental in any color of physical defect . I'm sure most are not judgmental just the way some perceive the way a subject is worded.( I am also at fault myself on this one I have said things and if you don't know me you may take it out of context.) How ever some people take things out of context on purpose just for the argument itself.

Of couse there have always been some sort of celebrity status in the world for awhile but now it's an issue of race. Why? I could go farther into this subject but then it would go off the subject and I may sound like a bigot which I am not since this isn't the subject. However if this was the subject I wouldn't sound like a bigot because I have thoughts on both sides.
 
Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 AM
 
871 posts, read 1,413,749 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Why is it that we have to have a huge celebrity to validate ourselves never needed one before but as soon as celebrity status became an issue this is what we need? I'm not one to look at a person and be judgmental in any color of physical defect . I'm sure most are not judgmental just the way some perceive the way a subject is worded.( I am also at fault myself on this one I have said things and if you don't know me you may take it out of context.) How ever some people take things out of context on purpose just for the argument itself.

Of couse there have always been some sort of celebrity status in the world for awhile but now it's an issue of race. Why? I could go farther into this subject but then it would go off the subject and I may sound like a bigot which I am not.
it seems some people care or wonder why. i don't think having a significant number of asian celebrities in the west especially where they ar a minority is as important than asians being drawn up in demeaning and insulting ways in media in only caricature roles to influence the general public which is susceptible. the latter is really the only thing which poses any real potential problems.

i always enjoyed harry kim's role in star trek voyager. he was just a regular guy. well, i like the entire show but that is an example. if more asians want to get into american entertainment business, that's their calling or want to pursue. media is about mass popularity or appeal and if asians don't fit that, then that's that or wait until times change. for those who will choose to pursue that, i'm sure some or most may face limited roles and even prejudice but that is something that they will have to deal with. some may need to just start thier own production company and see if they can be viable by catering to some aspects of the population etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top