Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 AM

341 posts, read 902,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I take it you are referring to stereotyical 'brown' Hispanic kids there suffered from the 'crab pot' syndrome? Why I wonder is that Spaniards are almost always White despite having Hispanic names. I knew a 'Latina' from Spain with was Nordic White (blue eyed/natural blonde).

Yes. I was amazed at so many of these Hispanics from the hood, some were close friends, they would drop out of high school in their junior and senior years. At least a few of them had really good grades, better than mine.
But they never thought about college. It was so sad. I'm thinking specifically one Puerto Rican girl and another Columbian chick; both so pretty and so smart too. But they both never finished senior year. They dropped out. I'm like, huh? Their futures seemed so promising.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Kazem Abdullah conducting the Metropolitan Opera

James DePreist conductor Oregon Symphony Orchestra

Paul Freedman, conductor and founder of the Chicago Sinfonietta

Conductor Raymond Harvey

Conductor William Henry Curry

http://www.jwentworth.com/conductors/william_henry_curry/images/william_henry_curry_1.jpg (broken link)

Conductor Willie Anthony Waters

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Kazem Abdullah conducting the Metropolitan Opera

James DePreist conductor Oregon Symphony Orchestra

Paul Freedman, conductor and founder of the Chicago Sinfonietta

Conductor Raymond Harvey

Conductor William Henry Curry

Conductor Willie Anthony Waters
I'm offended and most upset. How can that be? those Musicians are not White. something must be done.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
As someone who happens to be black
Are you a Carlin fan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUvsrcxKmI

Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
LOL, yeah I actually happen to be quite a fan.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
This music was written BY EUROPEANS, FOR EUROPEANS. Even if the orchestra was 100% White, that would be just fine. Now then, why do you not go to a Japanese forum, for instance, and complain that there aren't enough Whites performing Japanese music -- see where that gets you...
And that would explain the disproportionately high number of Asian kids in the Orchestra, wouldn't it?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 AM

142 posts, read 205,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
This music was written BY EUROPEANS, FOR EUROPEANS. Even if the orchestra was 100% White, that would be just fine. Now then, why do you not go to a Japanese forum, for instance, and complain that there aren't enough Whites performing Japanese music -- see where that gets you...
Exactly. A person doesn't have to be white to see that. I keep wondering what's wrong with it being written by and for Europeans? Why is it wrong for a people to do a thing for themselves? It's the same thing I always wonder when we black folks get together with our own and do our own thing. What's so wrong with that?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Some people just like to complain, about most anything is all. It's just Human Nature for some. I just grin, and move on down tha line.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Some people just like to complain, about most anything is all. It's just Human Nature for some. I just grin, and move on down tha line.
Sure. For some people it has to be assumed that it's some sort of racism responsible for the fact that there are not many blacks and Hispanics in symphony orchestras.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sure. For some people it has to be assumed that it's some sort of racism responsible for the fact that there are not many blacks and Hispanics in symphony orchestras.
I dont think that many people in this thread have said anything about racism, but rather stated that there are black and Hispanic people who are interested in classical music, just to let you know we do exist . I understand the question, though. I'm Latina and I've always wondered why there aren't any Latina or Asian ballerinas when I've gone to see ballet. If there are any Latinas, I've missed them. In my other post I stated that a big problem with classical music is lack of interest, first and foremost. However, I will add that Omaha, NE is hardly a microcosm of all orchestras or where to get a feel for the attitudes of entire populations. I live in Texas and my high school orchestra and band had an okay representation of Latinos. Not as good as it could be, though. And I'm not sure if many of them took as far as I did in participating in huge city orchestras outside of school though. Alot of black people in this thread said that many black people just are not into classical music for cultural reasons, and since I LOVE jazz and one of my FAVORITE dances to watch is the lindyhop (also invented by black people!), I think I will let them off the hook .

One thing I should mention that a good portion of Latinos in this country are the poorer and less sophisticated (sorry but it's true) segments of their respective Latino countries of origin. My family immigrated middle class and so there is more money and more appreciation to say, go see a Latino conductor like Gustavo Dudamel (who is AMAZING, by the way go see him immediately). With money comes class and with class comes the understanding and appreciation for things of aesthetic value.

However, I'll reiterate that being in Texas, I see Hispanic people doing all kinds of artsy stuff so obviously location is key. In Dallas, they have a Latino Cultural Center and if you like hanging out with theater and dance (in this case tango, bachata, samba, salsa, etc.) type people, that would be a good place to start.

Last edited by simpleharmonicmotion; 11-11-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates