Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times

Advertisements

Why do some folks continue to assume everybody should like the same things, and then talk about diversity? Has that term come to only apply to ones color or religion, or National origin? Seems counterproductive to me.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're as dishonest as your are transparent. You've said nothing about any "race" other than blacks. Interesting.

It would be really nice if you would learn to read for comprehension.

Yeah, I was right. It's just plain old Al Sharpton esque racism.
Post #27
"What cultural arrogance! As if European classical music is the only form of classical music! There are more than a number of stories imitating from southern California reporting the growth of Mexican kids embracing classical Mexican musical idioms."
But be that as it may, since I was responding to:
"Black parents have never traditionally embraced classical music."
Addressing the issue from a mono-racial view point would be a bit more germane, don't you think? Oh, my, asking if you could think, how silly of me!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Post #27
"What cultural arrogance! As if European classical music is the only form of classical music! There are more than a number of stories imitating from southern California reporting the growth of Mexican kids embracing classical Mexican musical idioms."
But be that as it may, since I was responding to:
"Black parents have never traditionally embraced classical music."
Addressing the issue from a mono-racial view point would be a bit more germane, don't you think? Oh, my, asking if you could think, how silly of me!
Your semantic dance does nothing but make your dishonesty and guilt even more obvious.

In post #40 of this thread, you responded to a statement I made - and you quoted it - with a snarky, leading question that was intended to do nothing but start an argument. Lie all you want about it, but the post is still there. All you're doing at this point is making yourself look even more foolish. So just knock it off.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As opposed to hordes of white kids who are just dying to?
Being Chinese, I can't speak for hordes of white kids. But loving classical music in my family is a result of my stepdad loving to listen to it, buying many classical records for his collection and encouraging the rest of us to listen with him. In addition, we have a great classical music radio station in Boston to listen to for free. These days, the best way to introduce classical music to a child is at home if the parents love to listen to it.

Classical music isn't only for the rich to enjoy. One can rent student instruments for very cheap. Recorders (a wind instrument) are very inexpensive and I used to play the Brandenburg Concertos with one. And I've know many musicians that are self taught. And one family used to host chamber music playing nights at their home.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

good music, like good art, is all in the eyes of the beholder. --I like it all.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
So last night my wife & I enjoyed a wonderful concert by the Omaha Area Youth Orchestras, at The Holland Center. Omaha Performing Arts - Holland Performing Arts Center (http://www.omahaperformingarts.org/opac.asp - broken link) It was an incredible night of beautiful music, and is great fun to see such talent. A 14-year old Japanese student played an absolutely stunning Violin Concerto with the final orchestra.

As we were watching & listening to each of the 4 groups play, I couldn't help but notice the racial makeup of the groups.

In each orchestra, the racial makeup was approximately 2/3rds white, and 1/3rd Asian, including (India) Indian. There were 2-3 black kids in each orchestra, and I noticed that there were no Hispanic kids in any of the groups. This racial mix did not change from one group to the next.

So why is this? This does not - in any way - reflect the racial demographic of our metro area.

Is the reason for this racial "imbalance" purely economic? Are there some races/cultures that do not enjoy or promote Classical Music? Is there something else going on here?
You can tell a hispanic from a white from across the hall?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM

From the cheap seats I can afford, I can barely make out that there are even people on stage. I come to listen, not so much to look. I usually listen with my eyes closed, just as I do at home. --But I never come just to criticize. I love music, and all that are blessed enough to share it with me.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You can tell a hispanic from a white from across the hall?
From 4 rows off the stage, with program (complete with names) in hand, YES.

The red-headed girl whose last name is Bjornruud is most likely NOT Hispanic.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
From 4 rows off the stage, with program (complete with names) in hand, YES.

The red-headed girl whose last name is Bjornruud is most likely NOT Hispanic.
But I'm sure glad for Her to be there. I'm sure She worked hard to get to that position. I sure wouldn't want to discriminate against Her because of her race. Would You??

Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Maybe Asians attraction and excelling in European Music could be compared to Americans who are attracted to and excel in Martial Arts ? How many American National or international Champions have there been in this Asian art form?

In many African American families Jazz is Classical Music and in Hispanic culture Dance might be a higher form of classical art than music, We have to look at all the arts and see how they are perceived by different groups, Classical music may not be considered "High Art" every where. Classical music is not harder to play or learn than other genres of music. Many classical artist debut while they are barely out of adolescence while it is rare for a jazz musician to taken seriously at such a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates