U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM

29,826 posts, read 34,338,067 times

Advertisements

I always wonder if wars, disease, starvation, old age and other lethal means of death is natures way to ensure we never over populate this planet. Is killing a built in natural condition or need similar to sex and hunger ?

Can you imagine how quickly we would over populate if there were no early deaths and we extended every humans life by 25-50% ?

I'm not sure we can afford to extend the human life span to 120. The cost of health care and damage to the planets resources would be to great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM

48,584 posts, read 39,157,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I always wonder if wars, disease, starvation, old age and other lethal means of death is natures way to ensure we never over populate this planet. Is killing a built in natural condition or need similar to sex and hunger ?
Short answer....no.

Like any natural system over-population causes shortages. Food shortages cause death and weakness that promote disease.

Overcrowding increases stress and promotes the spread of disease and also can promote war over resources. (Public unrest is directed externally so the powers that be stay in control.)

Probably more importantly, social attitudes can have an even bigger impact. Developed nations have very low birth rates since they don't have so much youth mortality and people have smaller families so they can afford them etc etc etc.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,477,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Can you imagine how quickly we would over populate if there were no early deaths and we extended every humans life by 25-50% ?

I'm not sure we can afford to extend the human life span to 120. The cost of health care and damage to the planets resources would be to great.
Are we saying Pol Pot was not just necessary but that we should let that be ok?

Would it make a difference if you were killed, or someone that you knew or loved? Is that ok? Or rather, should this be ok are we to allow this to be ok? There just is no way for me to rephrase this at this moment.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,787,184 times
I wonder the same Rakin, all the world tragedies .. flooding, hurricanes, storms, draughts, illness and disease, etc.

Can't help but think it plays a huge part in the natural evolution of population control.

With human intervention involved, we do seem to help keep it at bay with our wars and killings, etc.

Quote often I wonder if all that goes on is part of the cycle, .. why things happen and timing, etc.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM

We could go one step further and say that serial killers serve a function in society.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM

40,058 posts, read 29,627,235 times
It's all the fault of modern medicine. See what eliminating the plague has done?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM

I thought the bubonic plague still exists.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM

9,126 posts, read 16,426,431 times
No, I don't think killing each other is a natural need or condition, at least not until we're crowded to the point that we do it for self-preservation. (I.E., there's only one scrap of food to eat this week, and your neighbor wants it.) I think viruses are more nature's way of controlling overpopulation, but starvation and pollution could certainly play a part in it.

Then too, we may not be far from some nut case gaining control of a powerful nation and thinking God has selected him to control world population. Hitler wasn't far from that. A dozen nukes sent to the most populated cities in America would free up lots of food for (insert country).

Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 PM

16,388 posts, read 19,880,572 times
Budget deficits could also be of help in reducing the population.

I work in a long term care (warehouse?) facility.

For 7 years now I've attened to a woman curled up in a fetal position, being kept alive by a G tube. No visitors whatsoever. Can't sign her name to anything.

And how many others are there like her, all across this country, waiting for a severe budget deficit to happily end their unhappy, miserable lives?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,382,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Budget deficits could also be of help in reducing the population.

I work in a long term care (warehouse?) facility.

For 7 years now I've attened to a woman curled up in a fetal position, being kept alive by a G tube. No visitors whatsoever. Can't sign her name to anything.

And how many others are there like her, all across this country, waiting for a severe budget deficit to happily end their unhappy, miserable lives?
Yep, that sucks. But the question is, who makes the call to discontinue her "life support" - and on what basis.

I knew a lady who lived to be 2 months shy of 107. For the 5 years I knew her, she laid in a nursing home bed - practically comatose - communicating nothing and doing nothing. She wasn't on life-support, and had family present, but even so...

Sometimes life is weird that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates