Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times

Advertisements

You know, your problem is not the government. Your problem is the people that want to profit from it. It has always been. It hasn't changed. So, take a real damn good look around you. A good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
But when we reverse the table and look at terminally ill children...would you say the same? And we could take that another step further; would you feel the same about a severly retarded individual that can never give anything back to our society? How about their education?? They'll never use it..what a way to free up even more cash for the masses of society.

Who are you to make that decision? In most societies outside of ours, the oldest citizens are highly respected and taken care of by those who are younger, a way to thank them for what they had to offer their life through...and than includes some of the very oldest individuals on our planet.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
In most societies outside of ours, the oldest citizens are highly respected and taken care of by those who are younger, a way to thank them for what they had to offer their life through...and than includes some of the very oldest individuals on our planet.
They are typically taken care of by younger family members or community members. It used to be like that in the United States as well. It was for my grandparents and great grandparents. But we've 'progressed' beyond family and community. The reason for this is twofold: 1) family has been replaced with selfish pursuit of personal wealth; 2) the collective will take care of everything.

Just kick back, grab a bean sprout, and watch another Oprah rerun. All is well.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
IMHO------the worst leeches are the ones who prey on terminally ill cancer patients.

Yup, just a few more treatments , a little more false hope, a couple more hundred thousand $$$$$, and you can buy yourself an extra month of miserable living.

I've seen so darn much extortion of terminally ill friends by the medical profession by giving out false hope to terminally ill patients and sucking every last dollar out of them

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
well if you are talking to my employer (retired 2 years ago) its on the last day just b4 retirement after i train my replacement and clean out my desk.
btw in my former hi stress job so far 10 men are dead in the job (all stress related), my mentor 3 weeks ago 20 years my jr. happy birthday baby sing it.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
IMHO------the worst leeches are the ones who prey on terminally ill cancer patients.

Yup, just a few more treatments , a little more false hope, a couple more hundred thousand $$$$$, and you can buy yourself an extra month of miserable living.

I've seen so darn much extortion of terminally ill friends by the medical profession by giving out false hope to terminally ill patients and sucking every last dollar out of them
That's only the terminally ill cancer patients who have good insurance.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well if you are talking to my employer (retired 2 years ago) its on the last day just b4 retirement after i train my replacement and clean out my desk.
btw in my hi stress job so for 10 men are dead in the job, my mentor 3 weeks ago 20 years my jr.

When I retired from the government my boss didn't realize how much time I had to burn off, about 6 months. I sat in the meeting while they piled project after project on me. Went to my office and cleaned out my desk.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You know, your problem is not the government. Your problem is the people that want to profit from it. It has always been. It hasn't changed. So, take a real damn good look around you. A good one.
The whole concept of employer based Health Insurance is outdated and one of the major reasons we are not competitive on the world market. Most Employers would welcome Medicare for All

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's only the terminally ill cancer patients who have good insurance.
or plenty of assets that the medical profession can put in a claim on when they die.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times
We all know how ridicules it is to spend our lives in the pursuit of worldly goods. But we do it anyhow. Like in the end, it matters. We seem to lack purpose, it seems. which begs the question--what's on TV tonight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates