U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,756 posts, read 39,297,963 times
Reputation: 28898

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post


I'm guessing . . . . . . .
Not a good idea. Ask someone who's been here for a while how wrong you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
 
404 posts, read 620,611 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not a good idea. Ask someone who's been here for a while how wrong you are.
I've been here since birth (but birthers might have a problem because my DNA is not digitally signed on by certificate), and not from a state that is the Saudi Arabia of North America. Once again.. you simply pull a quote out from a lengthy post, make a snarky remark, and feel smug while sitting in your desert wasteland. Why don't you counter my argument with something that glenn beck didn't relay via some stupid ass fox news show to you?

I would love to hear your legit counter arguments, unless you don't have any that don't involve screaming about taxes that you happily paid under bush for 8 years while he bombed anyone whose name had too many vowels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,756 posts, read 39,297,963 times
Reputation: 28898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I've been here since birth .

I meant someone who has been on CityData long enough to know how I lean on issues.

Just to bring you up to speed, there is nobody on this board who is more willing to express a leftist viewpoint than I am. I objected to your position ("if you don't like it, leave") not because it was too far left or too far right, but because it is a stupid, childish approach to take in intelligent discourse in a free country.

I responded to you, initially, not by saying the comment was as stupid and childish as it was, but by civilly asking you why you harbored that opinion. If you take this debate forum seriously, go back and look at my recent posts before you paint me a political color. And then try to maintain some civility and decorum in your expressions of view. And support your argument with a fact once in a while.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-11-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
 
27,615 posts, read 22,969,304 times
Reputation: 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post
Exactly what is that happened in the pre-1950s that worries you? Was it limited government, self-reliance, freedom?
In the days of the 1950's, especially before 1954, I wouldn't have been treated fairly. I have my own things to worry about. Part of the reason I have the standard of living I have now is because I don't live in the 1950's, a time when many of the things I enjoy now, I would not have been allowed to enjoy in many states. In some cases, limited government isn't helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
 
51 posts, read 26,477 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I meant someone who has been on CityData long enough to know how I lean on issues.

Just to bring you up to speed, there is nobody on this board who is more willing to express a leftist viewpoint than I am. I objected to your position ("if you don't like it, leave") not because it was too far left or too far right, but because it is a stupid, childish approach to take in intelligent discourse in a free country.

I responded to you, initially, not by saying the comment was as stupid and childish as it was, but by civilly asking you why you harbored that opinion. If you take this debate forum seriously, go back and look at my recent posts before you paint me a political color. And then try to maintain some civility and decorum in your expressions of view. And support your argument with a fact once in a while.
I have been here long enough to know he leans on issues, and people with his insults, deratory comments and nutty form of logic. But you just gotta love him for it, right Jturr?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 PM
 
51 posts, read 26,477 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
In the days of the 1950's, especially before 1954, I wouldn't have been treated fairly. I have my own things to worry about. Part of the reason I have the standard of living I have now is because I don't live in the 1950's, a time when many of the things I enjoy now, I would not have been allowed to enjoy in many states. In some cases, limited government isn't helpful.
Is it because you are a pirate, or French? I agree, there are about 1 time in 100 when limited government is bad (like when the Japanese were bombing Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
 
27,615 posts, read 22,969,304 times
Reputation: 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post
Is it because you are a pirate, or French? I agree, there are about 1 time in 100 when limited government is bad (like when the Japanese were bombing Hawaii.
I am not a pirate and I am only part French. I am African-American. For me, living in the 1950's would have been especially hard. That is what I meant by the last post I made. At the end of the day, I must ask, how would living in the early 1950's be beneficial for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
 
51 posts, read 26,477 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not a pirate and I am only part French. I am African-American. For me, living in the 1950's would have been especially hard. That is what I meant by the last post I made. At the end of the day, I must ask, how would living in the early 1950's be beneficial for me?
Ahoy, matey, but you're sailing under false colors. Are yea a landlubber, or perhaps sail on a man-o-war or possible a whalin vessel! Perhaps you a fant of Capt'n Sparrow - Capt'n Jack Sparrow.

Q. Would it be harder for you to live in the early 1950's in the US or back in your country of origin??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
 
27,615 posts, read 22,969,304 times
Reputation: 7725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post
Ahoy, matey, but you're sailing under false colors. Are yea a landlubber, or perhaps sail on a man-o-war or possible a whalin vessel! Perhaps you a fant of Capt'n Sparrow - Capt'n Jack Sparrow.

Q. Would it be harder for you to live in the early 1950's in the US or back in your country of origin??
Jim Crow segregation, restrictive covenants, being refused service in many restaurants, alot of "legalized" racism and bigotry. That is how it would have been hard to live in those days. Many things I do today are because such practices are illegal. You need to go read up on history. Now I pose the question. How would living in the 1950's helped me? Other questions: What is so bad about the government stepping in when the state government isn't treating you like a human being? Sometimes the feds need to step in. You might say limited government, well, if it was left up to the state governments, I personally believe Jim Crow racism would have lasted longer than it did.

In some cases, socialism can be a very good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
 
51 posts, read 26,477 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Jim Crow segregation, restrictive covenants, being refused service in many restaurants, alot of "legalized" racism and bigotry. That is how it would have been hard to live in those days. Many things I do today are because such practices are illegal. You need to go read up on history. Now I pose the question. How would living in the 1950's helped me? Other questions: What is so bad about the government stepping in when the state government isn't treating you like a human being? Sometimes the feds need to step in. You might say limited government, well, if it was left up to the state governments, I personally believe Jim Crow racism would have lasted longer than it did.
I know all about the history. And most-importanly, I know that was the past, this is the now, and tommorow is the future.
I never endorsed Jim Crow etc.

Living in the 50's would have helped you because it would be followed by living in the 60's and 70's until now.

Living in the 50's pretty much anywhere else, would leave you living there now, as you did then. Aren't you glad you are here now. I'm not saying it was bad for the feds to step in as it did. It was good.

A global institution that existed in every corner of the globe and throughout recorded history isn't going to roll over on it's back and die peacefully, but it is dead in the U.S. (even though going strong "elsewhere".

I am glad your life is better now, and I want you to prosper and get rich.

I would, however, suggest a different line of work, 'cause unless I am mistaken, piracy is still a capitol offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top