Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Basically Americans just work too hard. Bottom line. The hours that they put in and the limited vacation time leaves them with very little time to explore themselves and explore possibilities of life. And if they are unemployed, they either a) looking for a job full-time or b) wasting time in front of TV or internet. I don't want to make blunt sweeping generalizations, but this holds true for majority of Americans with some exceptions.
That seems very true in a lot of situations. 40 hours a week seems more than enough to me, but some people I've met say that they work 60 or 80. Now people have to, and that's unfortunate, but I've met a couple of pharmacists who have like 40+ hour work weeks, and then on the days they're off, they'll work at another job to make some "extra" money. I'm like: that's madness!!! Let me have just 35 or even 30 hours--that is more than enough for me. And I can't wait until I can start working part-time so I can focus more on writing. This whole living to work thing just seems so unfortunate to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,322 times
I wouldnt pour life's energies into a "great job" anymore.

Those days are ending. The jobs are disappearing. Build up a social network, consider starting your own business. Try and adjust your dreams and goals to the realities...[don't fall for their GET A GREAT JOB, if you do A, B and C formula--that one in the new American Great Depression is breaking up] if you are young and healthy and can finance it, NOW is the time to go travel. I regret I didnt while I was still young enough and healthy enough too but I never had the money.

Do not gamble on the talent fields. Most writers are extremely poor even ones who have had some publishing, the only ones who arent, are the big names, journalism is going down the chute. Art [you can ask me about this] is the surest way to poverty as well.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That seems very true in a lot of situations. 40 hours a week seems more than enough to me, but some people I've met say that they work 60 or 80. Now people have to, and that's unfortunate, but I've met a couple of pharmacists who have like 40+ hour work weeks, and then on the days they're off, they'll work at another job to make some "extra" money. I'm like: that's madness!!! Let me have just 35 or even 30 hours--that is more than enough for me. And I can't wait until I can start working part-time so I can focus more on writing. This whole living to work thing just seems so unfortunate to me.
I think some people today are threatened by quiet, free time, and silence and time to think.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Maaaan, I'm self employed. I left corporate America nearly 20 years ago to do my own thing. BTW I did enjoy working for small business owners. I found they could be more responsive, creative, and humane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
OK, we can agree on this....we are self employed and I would have to agree that being part of a small, independently owned company is more of a family environment than big business. I thought you were talking about bosses across the board!

Me 3. I'm self employed, and I would not do it any other way. I always encourage people (young and old) to start their own businesses.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, I know people like this. I use to work in a factory that made bread for a major fast food chain. Well, some people in there, when overtime was offered, would work close to 100 hours a week, to make "extra money".

The people who worked there had new cars/trucks and many owned there own homes but I quit that job after my friend who worked there had a heart attack (AT 31) from all the stress from working 12 hours shifts.

To be fair, I do believe Americans over extend themselves. They want the sport bikes (toys), the beyond practical cars (BMW's), extra large homes,
and expensive clothes, which all requires lots of working hours to sustain.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, OP. It's sad. You know what's interesting, though? I'm disabled, too, and have lost all of the things that people use to measure "success" -- my career, my savings, my great house, etc. But I've had to develop all of my inner resources and personhood to survive and reach out to other people. In the process, I think I've become a more complete, stronger, and open-minded person, and I've noticed this phenomenon in other disabled people, too. I've had to face my own mortality and focus on what's important. In a sense, it's freeing.
I see it as having been freed from the rat race. When you become disabled you are thrown out of the race, so to speak, so you get an "outside" view, you also face mortality. I know my facing dying in my 20s, has given me a much different nature then many others. I am glad you have developed your inner resources and personahood. I relate to you. Look for a PM from me, want to comment on this further but low on time.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, I know people like this. I use to work in a factory that made bread for a major fast food chain. Well, some people in there, when overtime was offered, would work close to 100 hours a week, to make "extra money".

The people who worked there had new cars/trucks and many owned there own homes but I quit that job after my friend who worked there had a heart attack (AT 31) from all the stress from working 12 hours shifts.

To be fair, I do believe Americans over extend themselves. They want the sport bikes (toys), the beyond practical cars (BMW's), extra large homes,
and expensive clothes, which all requires lots of working hours to sustain.
Ever watch CRIBS on MTV, I watch it more for the trainwreck quality then to be overawed. None of the stupid houses {mauselaoms} even look lived in: the fridges all look like they bought food/well mostly drinks that morning.

What is the use of that stuff if you have no time and no friends?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Ever watch CRIBS on MTV, I watch it more for the trainwreck quality then to be overawed. None of the stupid houses {mauselaoms} even look lived in: the fridges all look like they bought food/well mostly drinks that morning.
I have seen a few episodes when I was back in collage. Truth be told, some people can live like that; others, the life style is temporarily given to them per their contract.

And the comment you made about "not lived in" is pretty accurate. I once did work for a person who worked for Walt Disney (in the high ranks). The home was so immaculate it looked like modal home that you would use as bait for other potential buyers of the surrounding development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
What is the use of that stuff if you have no time and no friends?
There is no time or true friends in the entertainment industry.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
It's a shame many of my goals and dreams contradict each other.
I'm in the same boat, and I know a few others on board as well. The best alternative is to start your own business and use some of that money to fund your dreams.

In other words, do both at the same time! It never fails every time I'm in a office to pick up a check from the owner of the business and I see pictures of what they do on the side, such as, sailing their yacht, standing next to their custom built dream home, or racing their company race car.

The guys who taught me the business I'm in are musicians and they would have gigs at the house of blues and so forth. They may never get a record deal but WHO CARES(!) they LOVE what they do, it makes them happy, and they are more cultured people unlike the automatons who work all the time that have NOTHING else to offer society!!!

The next best thing is to get a flexible job that makes good money like a sales job, or a real estate agent, then on the down time pursue your dreams! I use to work in real estate with successful veterans, and let me tell you, it's a VERY flexible job! Use to see these people depost 10-20k commission checks. The young agents would go to Vegas and blow all there money; in your case, you could fund your dreams.

9-5/salary jobs that dictate your whole life are the worse for pursing other interest. However, they are pretty good for maintaining stable families which is why most people seek out that type of pay.

Last edited by Morphous01; 11-08-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
This is a really good and enjoyable thread! Really makes me think. A lot of the thoughts expounded here, I thought I was the only one who noticed these things! Small things like when I go to at a fast food restaurant @ lunchtime and see a looooong line at the drive thru but it's almost empty inside. Nobody even sits down together for lunch any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates